Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voting & the register

Options
  • 21-05-2004 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but it's about being able to vote and the leaflets you get throught the door.

Do you have to register to go and vote, or are you automatically put on the register? I ask this because I don't remember ever registering to vote, yet with the up and coming elections, I've started to recieve the "Vote for me!!" flyers in the door. Could the candidates have got my name from elsewhere, or do they use the electoral register?

Since I'm getting these, does it automatically mean I can vote when the time comes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Why not go and check?

Nip down to your local garda station, library, post office, council office and ask.

If you're not on the register and you'd like to be, you have till 5pm next Monday to get a completed form for inclusion on the Supplementary Register into your county council or city council office.

As for the flyers, if they don't have your name and address on them, they're just flinging them into anything that looks like a letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

You are not added to the register automatically. If you have not been able to vote before since your 18th birthday then you mustn't be on the register. If you are sent out a white card with your name on it and the location of the polling-station, then you know you must be on the register.

I think there should be something on the internet like a form to print out and fill in and send in. Otherwise I think maybe you could go to the Post Office or County Hall or whatever and ask for such a form. If you have moved house then you will need to fill in a form again saying what your name and previous address were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

You have until 5.00pm on MONDAY to get onto the Supplemental Register.

http://www.politics.ie/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4919

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

I filled out one of those forms for the Supplementary Register and posted it off about two weeks ago to my local CC. I havn't heard anything back, do I actually need a card to vote, or can I just assume that I am registered and show up on the day?

I guess the best thing would be to ring my local CC office on Monday morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by sceptre
    As for the flyers, if they don't have your name and address on them, they're just flinging them into anything that looks like a letterbox.

They've my name and address - the parents were sent them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    Looks like some kindly soul has put you on the register then. Same thing happened me in 1993. Worth phoning your local coco just to check though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Someone plonked me on the register when I had gone to look at it in the local library. Think it was one of the local politburo. Cant wait to tell them I aint voting for them regardless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

For those of you in DLRD county council you can check if you are registered online on their website i think it is a bit out-of-date though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    You parents may have registered you - only one person per residence needs to fill out the form (but they need to include everyone).

Advertisement