Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird IOLBB Problem

• 21-05-2004 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

can anyone help please? Here's the problem...

Ok, I power on my computer and modem and begin viewing websites. After a while I go to a website and it will not display, I get an error in IE (page cannot be displayed), it is as if I am not connected to the internet. However, and this is the strange bit, I can view any sites I had been viewing between the time I conencted up to the point the error occured. I know what you are thinking, it's stored in temporary internet files cache, but no, I can view any part of a site I had previously connected to. For example, if I viewed www.rte.ie/news earlier on, I can view www.rte.ie/2fm or any other page on their domain. But if I go to something else like www.yahoo.ie I get the error.

I rang tech support twice and it is an effort in itself trying to get them to understamd what the problem is. The first excuse they gave me is that the site is stored in the cache and that is why I can still view it. WRONG! The second guy said it is a virus and he got me to download latest virus definitions and do a full system scan. WRONG AGAIN! No virus was found.

Does anybody have any ideas what is wrong? Maybe some of you have more of a clue than some of the "technical support experts" (IOL's words, not mine!).

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by HelterSkelter
    After a while I go to a website and it will not display, I get an error in IE (page cannot be displayed),
    This is one of the annoying things about IE - they use the same "error page" for "cannot connect to server" and "cannot resolve that IP name into an address". It sounds like you are having the second problem, which is a DNS problem, not a connection problem.
    I can view any part of a site I had previously connected to. For example, if I viewed www.rte.ie/news earlier on, I can view www.rte.ie/2fm or any other page on their domain. But if I go to something else like www.yahoo.ie I get the error.
    Your system remembers the IP address for www.rte.ie, so your browser can still find the site.

What OS are you using? If you've got WinXP or Win2K, you should be able to check what DNS servers are being used by opening a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG /ALL

If you're using Win9x, then run WinIPCfg. If you post your DNS server addresses, other people can compare them to what they are getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Originally posted by Ripwave
    It sounds like you are having the second problem, which is a DNS problem, not a connection problem.
    Your system remembers the IP address for www.rte.ie, so your browser can still find the site.

Thanks Ripwave.

So are you saying that it could be a problem with IOL's DNS servers? If that was the case wouldn't all other users be having the same problem?

Or is it some problem with my connection or modem settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unkle

Have you set up your Zyxel P623R-T1 through Ethernet?
    If yes and you are using Windows XP/2000 try the following:

Under TCP/IP Properties of your LAN connection enter the following details:

Use the Following IP Address:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Use The Following DNS Server Addresses:
    Preferred DNS Server: 192.111.39.1
    Alternate DNS Server: 192.111.39.4

Restart Your System.

Should you experience difficulty viewing webpages again simply do the following:
    1. Disable Local Area Network Connection.
    2. Close Internet Explorer.
    3. Enable Local Area Network Connection.
    4. Open Internet Explorer and try and access the webpage again.

Let me know if this sorts out your problem?

So are you saying that it could be a problem with IOL's DNS servers?
    That's not quite what I said - you're having a problem talking to whatever DNS servers you are configured to use. At a guess, you're actually configured to use your DSL modem as a DNS server, and it's relaying your DNS requests, so the problem could be with it, but I don't know - I haven't set up an IOLBB account.
    Or is it some problem with my connection or modem settings?
    It's possible - that's why I asked for more information about your setup.

Originally posted by unkle
    Have you set up your Zyxel P623R-T1 through Ethernet?
    If yes and you are using Windows XP/2000 try the following:

Thanks unkle, I did set it up through Ethernet and I'm using XP. I'll try that when I get home.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ripwave

What OS are you using? If you've got WinXP or Win2K, you should be able to check what DNS servers are being used by opening a command prompt and typing IPCONFIG /ALL

If you're using Win9x, then run WinIPCfg. If you post your DNS server addresses, other people can compare them to what they are getting.

Can anyone see anything wrong here???

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ck
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DFE-528TX PCI Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-05-5D-47-E6-FB
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 0.0.12.0
    Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 39.123.0.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 21 May 2004 21:44:41
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 24 May 2004 21:44:41

Originally posted by unkle
    Use the Following IP Address:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Use The Following DNS Server Addresses:
    Preferred DNS Server: 192.111.39.1
    Alternate DNS Server: 192.111.39.4

I don't like to tempt faith but everything is fine so far this evening with those settings! Thanks.

Where did you get them from?

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.33
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 0.0.12.0
    Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 39.123.0.0
    Okay, your modem/router is acting as your local DNS server, so it's possible that, for some reason, it's having a problem with DNS queries.

To verify that it is a DNS problem, try and ping some sites at that command prompt - if ones that you've already accessed respond, but ones that you haven't accessed don't respond, then you've confirmed that it's a DNS problem, rather than a browser problem. At that point, try rebooting the modem/router (don't reboot your PC) wait a minute, and see if things start to work.

By the way, those WINS addresses don't look right to me. It's probably not something to worry about, but it's be inclined to disable WINS altogether unless you know you need it.

I don't like to tempt faith but everything is fine so far this evening with those settings! Thanks.

Where did you get them from?
    They are ns.esat.net and ns2.esat.net - ns for NameServer!

Advertisement