Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What team do you support?

• 21-05-2004 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering what team you support and what is your favourite players currently or in the past.

What team do you support? 57 votes

Arsenal
    0% 0 votes
    Chelsea
    12% 7 votes
    Man Utd
    3% 2 votes
    Liverpool
    31% 18 votes
    Newcastle
    45% 26 votes
    Other.( Say What Team)
    7% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hey wheres Villa in that poll, phenom how could you??

Can't believe I had to vote for "other" after finishing 6th by a whisker!!!:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Angel !!!!!

:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Hmm..... Arsenal > currently > Vieira, Henry, Pires, Bergkamp, Toure.

Past > Seaman, Adams, Overmars, Brady, Wright, Keown

In no particular order.....Apart from Vieira

A poll here in August of last year showed
    Liverpool ................20 29.41%
    Manchester United...13 19.12%
    Arsenal ....................5 7.35%
    Leeds ......................3 4.41%
    Chelsea ...................2 2.94%
    Aston Villa ..............11 16.18%
    Everton ...................1 1.47%
    Tottenham .............. 2 2.94%
    Other ......................4 5.88%
    None .......................6 8.82%
    Newcastle ...............1 1.47%

Interesting to see how things have changed.

Note: Villa were listed in this thread!! :p

edit/
    Link incase you dont believe me:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108724&highlight=poll
    /edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Arsenal all my life :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Sorry for Forgetting Villa Irish1. I am a Man Utd Supporter and Have been all my life. My favourite player is Scholes and Was Cantona for a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im a leeds fan through and through.

I dont a favourite player right now because it seems none of leeds' players no the meaning of loyalty especially alan smith.He used to be my fav but he is goin to man utd now and that isnt on. For someone like him to go to man u is ridiculous.He will never be welcome back at leeds again if he goes.

Players of past include John charles,Gordon Strachan,Jack Charlton,vinnie jones to name a few. There have been so many to class players at leeds i can name them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Fulham for the past 6 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

United - since 1983

Favourite ever player - Sparky Hughes
    Notable Mentions- King Eric, Roy, Denis Irwin,Kanchelskis(when on form),Schemichel, Steve Bruce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Arsenal since 1981 :)

Fav Players Chippie Brady, Pat Jennings, Tony Adams, DB10, David Roecastle and Michael Thomas for that 2nd goal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Been a Manu supporter since I was a kid.

Have to agree with kida about Sparky with Keano a close second.

Why are there only 5 teams in the poll. A bit short-sighted there Phenom. You should really edit the poll to cover at least ten teams.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Scarborough since 1985.
    First team to win promotion to the football league in 1987, but sadly not doing too good in the Conference these days.

21/25

Only mods can change polls maybe gandalf or one of the other mods could change that for me please maybe but in
    Villa for Irish1:)
    and anyother teams which you think should go in there. please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Dont forget to put leeds in.we are fairly well supported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Newcastle. Best players: Jon Dahl Tomasson, Warren Barton, Daniel Cordone, Marcelino :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Norwich City since 1985.

Current: Robert Green, Darren Huckerby, Phil Mulryne
    Past: Iwan Roberts, Bryan Gunn, Robert Fleck, Chris Sutton, Kevin Keelan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Liverpool all my life:

Current: Stevie Gerrard, Anthony Le Tallac, Harry Kewell, Stevie Gerrard, Jamie Carragher

Past: Ian Rush, John Barnes, Jamie Redknapp, Kenny Dalglish, John Aldridge, Alan Hansen and Stevie Gerrard ww)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Newcastle United .

Players : Ferdinand , Asprilla , Shearer , Given , Spead , Woodgate .

Originally posted by jonno
    Liverpool all my life:

Current: Stevie Gerrard, Anthony Le Tallac, Harry Kewell, Stevie Gerrard, Jamie Carragher

Past: Ian Rush, John Barnes, Jamie Redknapp, Kenny Dalglish, John Aldridge, Alan Hansen and Stevie Gerrard ww)

LOL past Gerrard!! you know something we don't??

Le Tallac???? I thought he was muck???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Funny that you setup this poll Phenom as I asked Gandalf for the same type of poll yesterday!

-- snip --

Poll: which team do you support?

The Poll could be long and list the top 30 english clubs and Celtic
    and Rangers and also have a "none of the above" option. This would
    be useful to see what the profile is of the discussion group. I
    suspect that the Irish populace is about 80% Liv, ManU, Arsenal
    but this poll may tell us for sure.

-- snip --

I suggest to keep it as a Sticky so any new users or people dropping in can leave their vote.

I think some of the admins/mods should extend the poll to include all the top teams such as Villa, Leeds, etc and Celtic. Not sure if they can reset users that have voted other to get another vote.

The previous vote was interesting and surpirsing to see so many Villa fans. The turnout was low though as 68 I thought as there must be more posters than that on this forum.

• Advertisement

Im sorry about the poll as I just thought a few teams that I thought would be the most supported clubs but I have asked one of the mods to change the poll and to put afew more teams into it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

arsenal since 93

current favourite players: toure, cole, reyes, edu.

all time favourite players: wrighty, adams, seaman, merson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Le Tallac???? I thought he was muck???

He's been brilliant all season for the reserves (when he wasn't out injured) and has had bright patches in the first team as well. The bits I've seen of him in the pre-season and in a few of his first team appearances this season have been enough for me to merit him with one of my favourite players at the moment. His passing is sublime (on par with Stevie G), his vision is excellent and he can hit a fair old shot. I included him because I love his style of play. I think he will be a big star at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Blackburn!!

Shearer!

Tugay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Liverpool true and true. current - stevie g and and baros. past - Rush, fowler, barnes and a whole lot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Liverpool

Its good to see we can lead someting :p

Past favourite - Fowler, McManaman, Barnes

Current favourite - Gerard, Carrager and Pongolle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

St. Pats for the past decade or so
    current players: Fahey(when he turns up) , Adamson (ugly **** but great keeper), Foley(not been as good this season but very good in the past few years)

Past Players : Eddie Gormley(esspesally for that goal from his own half against sligo which that camraman missed), Charles Mbabazi Livinstone (one of the most skillful players in the EL), Osam (still playing but he will be remembered most for the amazing player he was a few years ago best EL player in recent history)
    wasnt a fan at the time a bit young but apparantly in the early 80's we had a firly nifty player called McGrath wonder what happend to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    current players: Fahey(when he turns up) , Adamson (ugly **** but great keeper), Foley(not been as good this season but very good in the past few years)

Past Players : Eddie Gormley(esspesally for that goal from his own half against sligo which that camraman missed), Charles Mbabazi Livinstone (one of the most skillful players in the EL), Osam (still playing but he will be remembered most for the amazing player he was a few years ago best EL player in recent history)
    wasnt a fan at the time a bit young but apparantly in the early 80's we had a firly nifty player called McGrath wonder what happend to him.

Now we heading for 1st division and we still admint it in public that we Pats fans ,(leeds fans take note)

I seen Mc grath play for pats nothing special got a few quid for him.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish

Troll ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Crystal Palace since I was a lad...

Few Palace Legends....

Ian Wright....Record Palace Goal Scorer and played more games for us than for Arsenal...

Kenny Sansom....Another Palace Legend....Got his first England Cap at Palace..

Attilio Lombardo...One of the most skillful players to ever pull on the red and blue...

Gareth Southgate....I was at his debut against Norwich in the Zenith the season we won it....Allways very fond of him...

Geoff Thomas...Our captain fantastic...played well for England...unfortunatly will be remembered by most for his miss against France...

Nigel Martyn...1st £1Million goalkeeper in England..A true palace legend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Blackburn Rovers

Fav players

Kevin Moran
    Paul McGrath
    Alan Shearer

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Glasgow Celtic

Paul McStay

1st memory
    standing in the jungle singing youll never walk alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Nottm Forest

Legends: Anyone from the back to back European Cup winning teams

Current: Williams, Dawson. Johnson and of course Reid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Man United:

Current favorites:

Giggs, Keano, Van Nist

All Time Favorites:

Bruce + Pallister, Cantona, Giggs(best player ever)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Originally posted by The Brigadier

Gareth Southgate....I was at his debut against Norwich in the Zenith the season we won it....Allways very fond of him...

yeah im a villa fan and i always loved southgate. Definately one of the best defenders in the british game. he can read a game like no other defender i have ever seen, pity he left us on bad terms.
    I also liked Boateng another villain that ended up at middlesvilla along with Ugo

Favourite current player are:
    Angel- o'leary bringing out his best
    Barry- a local hero
    Melberg is also gaining hero status!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Obviously the Celts :D

In England however, I'm in the Villa camp too, I've been a fan since I was a kid.

I think that the day thats in it, I have to mention Henrik, sad to see him go. :( I wish him all the best wherever he goes. :)

/me wipes away a tear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

has to be spurs for me

legends: hoddle, gazza, klinsman, ginola, sheri, etc!!

now: keane, davies, defoe, carr, postiga (watch him next year!!!)

TTID

(Tottenham Till I Die)

No Chelsea fans yet???

Good to see money can't buy supporters.

Still can't believe no Villa in the Poll :dunno:

Suprised at how much Aston villa are supported I didnt think they were well supported aswell as they are .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Chelsea since 1988.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Liverpool since the early 90's.

current crop: Stevie G, Baros, Partridge [if only he'd get a first team run && wasn't injured], Carragher [model pro, solid]

past: rush, dalglish, keegan...too many legends to mention.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Only ever been one team for me - Leeds, despite all the pain and disappointents over the years.

Favourite past players:
    I grew up around the end of Don Revie's team, so Allan Clarke and Peter Lorimar were always my two favourite players.

Favourite current players:
    Yeah, right! Have you seen the current shower of wasters? Up until a couple of days ago it would have been undoubtedly Smithy, but if as seems likely he goes to that lot in red he'll never be welcome at Elland Road again. Some things you just can't forgive, even if it is Smithy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Liverpool. Used to suppport Man Utd.

Current : Micky, Stevie, Sami, Milan.

Past : Dalglish, Fowler, Rush, Barnes, Keegan, Whelan, Beardsley, Aldo etc etc

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Just the republic of ireland

Originally posted by bizmark
    Just the republic of ireland

Ahhh how nice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Liverpool

Past - Beardsley (Legend)

Current - Gerrard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Supported them since the late 80's, when nearly half the Irish first team were Villa players.

Current favourites would be Angel, Mellberg and Samuel. Old's, Paul McGrath and Paul Merson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool (and Wolves)

Too many greats in the past to list, the best currently we all know!

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement