Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Based Trek Movie Update

• 21-05-2004 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭

Right i've left this project alone for a little while cus i have exams coming up and whatever but i started work on it again yesterday. I now have the intro sequence's music put together and have drawn up a few storyboards. Data has heard the intro but no one else, just yet, can.... be patient. Data, if you would be so kind as to host the storyboards... thank you. Ok also, this didn't go very well last time so i'll ask again. If you can offer anything, however mediocer to the project, let me or data know... writing abilities... and imagination... directing experience... wanna be an actor... extra? etc etc etc... good with woodwork (to fabricate some trekkie stuff) let me know asap... thank you. If you pm me i might take a few days to reply as i now have no net connection at home for monitary reasons, but i regularly visit mate's houses, net cafes and the like. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I have some experience on film. Did a course on all the basic processes involed in making a feature. I've worked on one feature and made three short films, and I'm starting a course on editing and media in about a month. If you need any help let me know, but I'm pretty busy with other stuff atm so I don't know exactly how much I'll be able to help out, but I'll be glad of any experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Excellent man, you'd be a good asset to this project, even with lack of time. Over the past two months i have been teaching myself premier and have gotten good enough with it so i'd be doing most of the effects and editing, apart from stuff i have to outsource to a guy i know in Canada. Ok people so what's the matter... why such lack of enthusiasm about this project eh? Data was the only one willing to meet me to discuss matters about it, which i really appreciate man by the way. If you have anything to offer and are interested, please say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

Well, you know I'm here and came here basicaly because of this project :D
    For the record: I can do 3d modeling and renders of stills and animations (though these can take HELL of a time). For now, I'm not very good at SFX. But, as said earlier, I'm working on it. Further: I can do audio and video editing (montage and image corrections). So basically, I'm a CG guy :p

The Admiral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Id like to help but have no idea how i could tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'll put up those storyboards some time today that you sent me achilles, i'm having computer issues with the new memory

data

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I can be a type monkey ! Or watever. Just dont touch me until June 02 ! Freakin exams...

So I have to go back to two years ago to catch ya after the exams?! Dammit... i'm 2 years late. Hehe. Yeah admiral, As i said in my post i have worked out intro music. And now, here's your first official thing you have to do for me ;) Will you please render a high quality (dvd res settings, divx 5 on high quality if possible... no sound) 1 minute (or there abouts) video of the camera panning around various parts of the solar system of the tng era? IE, a starbase orbiting earth, a shipyard... various ships... that kinda thing. Thank you. By the way data, you've heard the intro, what you think? I think you can distinguish between the start, when the baddie arrives, and when we're panning around dublin city, right?

*snip*

I hooked up this pc (home) to dial up for a while as my connection was cut due to i couldnt pay it, as i said already, however i will still be around to post and reply about this movie. Anyways here's a zip of the storyboards for anyone who wants to check them out. They're only rought sketches of like the first 3 minutes of the movie (intro). They're all of course subject to change. Check them out, tell me what you think.

http://homepage.ntlworld.ie/stevetrek/storyboards.zip

Hrm some feedback would be nice. Where is everyone lately eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

well it IS a saturday night ! :)

I like the idea....but is there a more original angle you could take the plot ? time travel *again* ?

the story board art is quite good tho !

Lol i'd consider the storyboard art to be quite rubbish actually as they were only quick 5 min sketches. Anyways how else would we have a Dub based trek movie other than time travel tho eh? It's not as if we have the technology to recreate a cgi 24th century ireland or anything, not to mention the budget, which now stands at about 50c!!!

• Advertisement

why does the enterprise E have a neck

oh and its more than likely best not to have so many well known ships in the battle....The enterprise wouldnt be at earth either would voyager being explorer ships ship anyway

Yes but you're forgetting the general story, there are high security peace talks on eareth and some of the toughest ships in the fleet have been called to protect earth whilst these talks are going on, of course being from the future and desguised as a Delta Flyer class ship, it isn't immediatly fired on untill it attacks and destroys a breen ship, making the breen think it's a fed conspiracy against them or something, the enterprise going in persuit but all of it's attacks are dodged, so sends out a smaller souped up to the max shuttle to go after it, due to the higher manuverability. It's damages the ship so much so that when it opens it's temporal rift intended to leave the section 31 guy back to the 28th century, he ends up in the 21st, in the year 2004... with no way to get back as his temporal... errr (makes up fake trek scientific sounding name) his temporal deflector (or something) was damaged beyond repair, he sends a beacon through hyper subspace intended for the year 2752 maybe, or something. The whole movie is based around a) the fed guys finding this guy, why he did what he did, etc and b) the section 31 guy buying bits and bobs from maplins etc and putting together a beacon to send into the future. (Can take apart an old nokia, add flashing lights to it and whatever... make it up as we go along basically). All we need to do tho is meet up to get the actual script going. It better turn out a little better than last time as it only ended up as me and data having a quite conversation about the story in the pub. Still tho we got a good story going and are sticking to it. Well apart from that i had the idea of the ECH being standardisded by starfleet and cus the guys set out to catch the sec 31 guy were only 1 junior and 1 senior officer, they activate the ech, replicate a mobile emmiter and then crash land/beam to ireland, earth 2004. Anyone else any imput? Ideas... stuff... thingies?! Anything? :P

The enterprise wouldnt have any problems hitting a smaller ship no matter what speed its doing its proved that many many times also i really douth the shuttle would be faster than the enterprise.

Perhapes you could keep the enterprise there but the rest wouldnt be needed (just have a defiant Class ship and interpid class not voyager etc) have the shuttle cloked it uncloaks opens fire destroys the breen and trys to get away.The enterprise tracks it before it can cloak and fires a phaser blast at the shuttle disable all the technobabble **** on board cloak timedrive (or what ever) shuttle crash lands on earth dublin some passing shuttle from enterprise gets ordered to follow and you still have your story intact.

You have a cool battle going on and it wouldnt make the enterprise e look like a pussy!

True. All good ideas man and they'll be taken on board. You should offer to become a script writer man, you obviously have some brilliant ideas. We need to arrange another meet up, one that people will actually arrive at this time. Also i have emailed the gay trekkies group as they are the largest irish trekkies group in ireland that i know of. Aint heard anything back yet but they usually take about 2-3 days to reply anyways. I've always pmmed the cg slave ;-) and asked him to do some work, no reply yet but he will render what i'm needing. As i've said i've already put the intro music together and have what it'll look like visualised in my head. Perhaps now is the time to borrow my mate's dv cam and film various parts of dublin for the intro, get the cg stuff back from the guy, render the 3-4 minute intro, post it up here and see what happens. Obviously through the whole intro there'd be credits going on as per normal movie trek then the bit logo. Theres another thing, a name for this project. Star Trek: Crossing The Border is the idea that i originally had but now it just sounds a bit naff. How does Star Trek: Crossing The Threshold sound?

aye sounds good and ill help out in what i can

and i douth a gay trekkies of ireland group is the biggest in ireland tbh (cant stright people join as well or what i mean isnt that a bit backward ? haveing 1 minority group's :rolleyes: always makes me laugh )

Lol of course they can, otherwise they'd be racist. Sure when i was emailing them about my now defunct petition, they invited me along to one of their meetings and all like. I ever asked like, im sure being gay aint a requirement and they told me sure not at all, it's a name more than anything else, just meant to signify the diversity of people in the world kinda thing.

Originally posted by Achilles
    just meant to signify the diversity of people in the world kinda thing.

By nameing it after one minority group ? seems very backward to me a group should be a group not a "gay group" or a White/black/male/female group or you never will have true equility

meh im just ranting

Originally posted by bizmark
    The enterprise wouldnt have any problems hitting a smaller ship no matter what speed its doing its proved that many many times also i really douth the shuttle would be faster than the enterprise.

Perhapes you could keep the enterprise there but the rest wouldnt be needed (just have a defiant Class ship and interpid class not voyager etc) have the shuttle cloked it uncloaks opens fire destroys the breen and trys to get away.The enterprise tracks it before it can cloak and fires a phaser blast at the shuttle disable all the technobabble **** on board cloak timedrive (or what ever) shuttle crash lands on earth dublin some passing shuttle from enterprise gets ordered to follow and you still have your story intact.

You have a cool battle going on and it wouldnt make the enterprise e look like a pussy!

These are actually good ideas. But in case you don't want to deviate from your original story, Achilles, one reason why shuttles chase the "future villain", could be that the temporal wake forms a massive subspace disturbance... something of which we "know" that in general, Starfleet ships cannot stand against. The warp core of these starships pull open subspace ruptures like "a zipper" (cfr. StarTrek:Insurrection). So, not to jeopardise the Enterprise, they'll have to send in a shuttle.

I received your message, Achilles. BUT: the planets will present no immediate BIG problem, since it's relatively easy to create planets :p The problem is going to be that all these satellites, spacestations etc you named, will first have to be made ! I don't have them. So I will either have to download them first (if available) and if that proves not possible, I will have to model it ! This WILL take time... A luxury you, hopefully, have plenty...:D

A model of which I know (read: as far as I can know) is NOT available and very hard to model, is Jupiter Station. If anybody knows one for download, high- or low-poly version, PLEASE let me know...

I'll keep ya all informed.

The Admiral.

ps: Achilles, except for CG-slave (where the hell did you get that nickname :p ), you can always call me "Ro". Just to avoid possible mixing up with other "CG guys" or "slaves";)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

howdy i've not really been around much busy weekend with the boards beer, grand prix and went to see troy.

listening to the music now, seems good i like the first contact stuff i can here in it as i have that soundtrack and i like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

There some god ideas, it'd be funny if a skanger teen saw the shuttle crash landing whil smoking a lot of weed, leaving him very confused about whether it was real or not, cos when the weed wears off the shuttle is for some reason or another, cloaked.

stupid idea.....ill slap myself for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

not stupid just overdone in the whole time travel thing...(think similer situation happened in Star Trek 4...

I agree time travel is overdone but being a fan movie and there being a non existent budget its completely understandable...

is there an earlier post giving a synopsis or something?

just a quick question...

Is there a organisation set up by the federation to stop time travel etc? I know its against the law i was wondering if they have something set up to track and stop such events?

Originally posted by BlitzKrieg
    Is there a organisation set up by the federation to stop time travel etc? I know its against the law i was wondering if they have something set up to track and stop such events?

That's the whole paradox: only people in the future can know when time incursions took place. And since they do not exactly know their future, and because there is a temporal prime directive, they are not allowed to interfere. Each time frame is only responsible for people and acts from people from the same time frame. As soon as you interfere with another time's people and acts, you start an incursion yourself, which could have devastating consequences for the timeline. (cfr. Voyager: Year of Hell)

The Admiral

Yes there was a sypnosis of the story myself and data penned during a meet, but it was a while back now. Gimmie a sec i'll retreave it. And through the wonder of the internet, i am already back from my quest to retreave the lost logs of this project!!! They are as follows:

After the dominion war, the quadrent is still being rebuilt and federation, romulan, klingon and cardassian resources are at an all time low. The federation decide to have peace talks with the breen to come to some sort of treat of some kind that will see them working together in the future to stop any other wars. This conference is held on earth.

A section 31 agent, from the 28th century travels back in time to try and wreck this conference as it has hazerdous reprocutions throughout the quadrent over the coming years, maybe something like the breen having access to key federation facilities and they take advantage, that hasn't quite been worked out yet. Anyways this section 31 agent, using advanced starfleet technology from his time, disguises his timeship as a delta flyer class ship and attacks one of the breen flagships. (The delta flyer in this time period, since Voyager's return, has gone into mass production, minus the borg technology). The Breen, being reserved as they are, think that this is an act of war by the federation. As this 'delta flyer' type craft if flying away, seeing as there is a conference being held on earth, security is tight around the planet. A few danube class ships move to intercept the ship as it's flying away. They start to fire as the section 31 agent is opening a temporal rift to get back to his own time. One of the danubes fires as the time ship is doing this thus damaging the time equipment, instead of opening a rift to the future, it opens one to the past, without the agent realising this. The time ship flies through the rift and just as it's closing, one of the danube's manages to fly in after it.

*Year 2004*

As the time ship is flying away from earth, the danube keeps on firing at it, and hailing it and so forth trying ot get answers, without any response. So the danube keeps firing, furthur damaging the time ship, so much so that it looses control and starts going down, heading straight for earth. The section 31 agent, knowing he's in trouble, quickly has time to replicate civilian clothing and various currencies of this time period. He makes an emergency beam out to the nearest continant as the time ship (a small shuttle type thing really) heads for a crash landing in the Irish Sea. He ends up beaming to somewhere in Ireland. At this point data sugested that using some sort of makeship cloaking technology, that the danube lands in phoenix park but i just can't see that happening. I'd prefer if, at this point, two of the starfleet guys from the 24th century beam down to the planets surface in the general area of where the section 31 one guy did, tracing his general whereabouts by scanning for croniton particles. However these particles dissipate very rapidly so they have no idea as to his exact whereabouts. One guy stays behind in the danube and flies it to the dark side of the moon where it won't be picked up by any of today's satelite systems, and stays there to make repairs to the danube as it was damaged badly in the crossfire.

We're now on the planet, in dublin, ireland, circa august 2004. The 24st century starfleet officers are dressed in civilian clothing for the time and set about scanning for this section 31 guy. They know the date by simply buying a newspaper as they too have replicated currency for this time period. They check out the local headlines or something. At this point the story gets a bit sketchy, with bits we can fill in later. Basically the 24th century starfleet guys go setting about finding this guy, what he's up to, why he did what he did in their time period, that kinda thing. The section 31 guy, with his money, stays in some kind of bed and breakfast and is seen by the people staying there as very reserved and slightly strange and weird. He goes about trying to build a beacon that will send a message into the future for one of his commanders to come back in time to rescue him. He goes from shop to shop buying parts (peats, maplins, that kinda thing).The 24th century starfleet guys go about finding this guy. The section 31 agent realises, with his damaged scanning technology, that officers in the danube have tracked him down to Dublin anyways and gets kinda worried. He finally tracks them down himself, putting a phaser to one of their backs and leading them into a dark alleyway. He explains to them why he did it and how 'it was for the federation... it was all... for the federation!!!' and that kinda thing, to save the future and all that. One of the guys manages to break free however and holds a phaser to the section 31 agent. The agent makes a run for it and the starfleet officers chase after him, firing at him from accross the o connel bridge and into the traffic island, where he's running accross, they stun him and he falls down.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is all she wrote, so far...

Any ideas? Comments? Anything?

Right sorry took me a while to find that, but you dont know cus i havnt posted yet ;) Yea so anyways that's the basic story, but it needs a middle, and an ending. Thats where the writers come in. I've gotten offers from guys with directing experience and writers so that's always good, i'll have to choose tho in a few weeks who does what, etc.

*edity edit*

By the way guys, what do you think of the name 'Star Trek: Crossing The Threshold' for the name of the movie? Eh.. eh?! Good eh?! no? awww....

Oh by the way, admiral, i was looking over old posts about this movie and you called yourself the CG Slave, so ya only have yerself to blame :-)

After the dominion war, the quadrent is still being rebuilt and federation, romulan, klingon and cardassian resources are at an all time low. The federation decide to have peace talks with the breen to come to some sort of treat of some kind that will see them working together in the future to stop any other wars. This conference is held on earth.

Hmm .....Unlikely tbh the federation being 8,000 light years in size would never really be low on resources they could have many many many many many thousands of planets and many many millions of asteroids there a UBER power. It would take them time to rebuild there fleet however which would leave them somewhat exposed. The Breen would have surrendered to the federation at the end of the war and as far as i know are part of the dominion now along with the cardies so if you’re dealing with the Breen your dealing with the dominion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

try tieing it with the conclusion of voyager then, the information presented by voyager puts the federation on ends about the dangers presented by the groups in the delta quadrant, forcing the federation into tyring to secure a worhtwhile alliance with the (i forget which quadrant it is now) beta/gamma so that the federation doesnt get squeezed into 2 front war. (think ww1 an 2, the main fear of germany was having a war on 2 fronts and both times it was this that brought the country down due to themilitary being overstretched.)

for the 31st century guy, do you want him as a complete unlikable character, or could you put some conflict in there, along the lines of, he doesnt know what kind of future he has created. If you want him as a wholly negative character i would cut the bit where he gets civilian clothes and money and instead opt to having him forced to steal or armed robbery of a house or something. (cool funny bit where he threatens family with phaser, father doesnt believe he fires as wall beside him, kid goes "coool" ) This also opens up for bringing in a 3rd group with maybe a local policeman also looking for him due to this robbery. This can make an interesting ending as you can argue who is the legitimate authority here, the local police, the 24th cent or the 31st cent. OBviously viewers will side with 24th but you can easily create sympathy for the 21st cent cop through many means (link to character in normal star trek series, likable character with good philosaphy on life)

the 24th characters. Do you want a Fugitive tommy lee jones style approach, lots of marking places he needs to go and trying to out-think him with some close shaves. Or do you want to try a different approach (comical, dark, simplistic?)

reading the synopsismy interest is obviously with the 31st cent character, if there was a way to show his error or to make him a tragic character,

I was thinking something along the line of:

His goal in the plot after getting stuck in 21st cent is to communicate with the 31st cent, maybe when the 24th cent finally catch him he has completed his communicator and by some debate or argument (hostage?) He convinces the crew to let him contact his own time, using their ship and some equipment from here and there (His old ship and stuff he has collected) He goes to contact the federation that he beliefs was fighting a loosing war but should now be saved because of what he did. Instead his communication only picks up (please select alien bad guy of choice: Breen, Borg etc etc) communication, it seems his actions destroyed the federation.

anyway thats my 2 cents. opinions welcomed.

You raise some interesting points there, both blitz and bizmark. However bizmark you remain very cynical about the whole trek universe. The Enterprise D was the flagship of the federating, and was destroyed by a 20 year old Klingon Bird Of Prey. Trek on the whole, is a great idea but the writers make stuff up as they go along to suit a particular story you have to admit, and that's what im doing right now. I will take onboard however, your idea of the Federation having some sort of treaty with the Dominion, cardies, founders, breen, etc. And that said treay, THAT'S what'd have dier consequences for the whole quadrent in years to come, cus that actually makes more sense than just the breen themselves. And the whole idea of the guy's transmission being picked up by the enemy is interesting, however it doesn't fit with the story as if they picked it up, they'd find a way to get back into the past and we'd have a whole dominion invasion of 21st century earth, that wouldn't work. As i've said my budget is only about 50c!!! Yes i think we should have the 28th century section 31 guy as a tragic character, as that'd add more depth to him, he's out to complete a mission... fails, decided to destroy the federation itself by perhaps setting off a bomb in dublin, the movie could open up with the destruction of dublin... then revert back to telling the story, reversing the timeline, saving dublin, most of earth, and the federation along with it, that kinda thing. Raises some interesting story prospects. All good ideas folks, keep them coming.

Originally posted by Achilles
    Oh by the way, admiral, i was looking over old posts about this movie and you called yourself the CG Slave, so ya only have yerself to blame :-)

:D Well, what can I say ?:dunno:

The Admiral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

Ur ideas are good imo, but i do kinda think it sounds like any old eopisode of star trek, just under different circumstances, its really like the enterprise episode where they went back in time to detroit.

And you're kinda thinking too small, about the nitty gritty datails about what state the federation was in etc......
    You have to think more about the story, cos from what ive read so far, you only have the first 20 minutes of a movie.

sorry if i sound like an asshole, im actually trying to help out.

• Advertisement

Exactly my point, i do only have about 20 mins of the movie mapped out in my head. That's why im here, to find writers with good ideas, who i can meet up with and discuss ideas with and get a script drawn up, that's kinda the whole point really. Also to find people who can direct, who wanna be actors in the project, etc etc ya get the idea.

Advertisement