Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Based Trek Movie Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'd be able to help out with the script in addition to what I already offered to do in the first place. See... I'm not just a pretty face ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

God love the girl who finds that face pretty ;)

Most of them do ;)

Cool, I'd say it would be great of he could come along.

Id say hed be up for it. But then again he was offered a part in both Eastenders and Troy and turned both down so he could go on holidays for a week. Fool.
    By the way, you mentioned something about Oxygen. I'm assuming that means you're going along?

Yes I shall be there, though the lack of The Polyphonic Spree has put me off some what.
    If people intereasted in the project are there then we could all possibly meet and get to know each other a bit.
    I wouldnt be able to pay anyone for their work or anything but if the guy is interested we'll see what happenes. I can't see it happenening to be honest but ya never know

He wouldnt expect money, he owes me big time for not taking the part in Troy. I could have gave scripts to Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, ect.
    as currently the budget stands at about 50c

Im offering to double the budget to a healthy 1euro.:D

Excellent a professional actor, that'd be nice, hehe. Got any portfolio website for him or anything? Just so i can check him out like. No... not in *that* sense... sheesh!!!

• Advertisement

Theres mention of himhere. Hes been in two or three other series, some well recieved plays and a cartoon network ad.:D

I think he is launching a site dedicated to himself, not sure when.

Originally posted by Darko
    Yes I shall be there, though the lack of The Polyphonic Spree has put me off some what.
    If people intereasted in the project are there then we could all possibly meet and get to know each other a bit.

I'll prolly be there on Sunday... With luck... Tis a long walk though, natch...

{quote]
    Im offering to double the budget to a healthy 1euro.:D [/QUOTE]

I might or might not be able to contribute money... I'll have to see how I'm doing financially, lol

Well to be honest if it's done right we'll need little or no money. Perhaps a little to rent out a blue or green screen but to be honest that's about it. Either that or, somebody could be willing to paint a wall in their house a particular shade of green to key out in the editing ;-) offers? Anyone...?

Either that or, somebody could be willing to paint a wall in their house a particular shade of green to key out in the editing ;-) offers? Anyone...?

Im sure we could paint a light piece of timber and get the same result.

In relation to actors, Id be willing to act so long as I get to die in a really cool way. Incendry gernade shoved in my mouth, decapitation, ect.

Timber wouldn't do to be honest, i just know that kinda material wouldn't cut it. And erm, i'm kinda hoping that none of the main characters die either, ya never know though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

I normally use large pieces of cotton fabric in either sharp blue or grass green. That can be "reasonably" cheap. Though fabric can be quite expensive too: I bought 15 metres of green cotton fabric for € 50,00 which is abnormally low :D
    On the other hand, large pieces of cardboard, painted green with acrylic paint will do a very nice job as well ! But paint costs....;)
    In other words... 50 cents won't do... WE NEED MONEY !! Anybody knows a low-security bank ??:p

The Admiral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Hi all, only just seen this thread.
    If i can help i will.

I am a graphic designer, studied film in college, made a few short films and i have made (backlit)trek screens, data pads and stuff in the past.
    I can handle a camera, edit(with my own equipment), do special effects and have done a few basic makeup effects as well.
    And i have worked on a TV advert.

Motion stuff here: http://www.spoiltchild.com/portfolio01m.htm

Graphic Design stuff here: http://www.spoiltchild.com/portfolio.htm

- Alan

You will need money to make this guys, no way around it.
    To help you can chase sponsorship but you will need to prepare a sponsorship pack first if anyone is to take you seriously.

Sourcing cameras and editing equipment will be handy enough but you will need lighting and a very good(experienced) lighting guy.
    With the best camera in the world, if the lighting is bad the film looks ****e. Good lighting can even make an ok camera look very close to a pro camera. I have worked on enough projects to see the difference.
    A lot of people are going to be putting a lot of time and effort into this project from the looks of things. You will need to ensure and double check and triple check that the technical aspects are right so that they wont feel screwed from behind.

Cheap equipment can be got here: http://www.filmbase.ie/equipment.html

And to give the end result a less DV quality i recommend this: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/magbulsuit.html

I have used it on a few projects and the results are great.

Excellent man, you'd be a great addition to this project as an editor and you can design the poster work and perhaps even the WIP website when i get around to it. If you want of course. As i said this CAN all be achieved with as little money as possible, as i've said in previous threads we've secured a loan of a €4000 dv cam and €700 boom mike from a guy on the vid editing boards. Im sure you could secure us some lighting if u have it yourself, as when filming is done, none of this stuff will be kept. Erm, another issue sprang to mind the other day tho. I'd like all the editors (me included in some parts) to be able to work together on editing stuff but that presents a problem, we'd all have to meet in someone's house bring our desktops and work on the vids, but see my pc is really underpowered for editing and encoding raw avi as i only have a 1.3 duron with 512 ddr ram and and 50 gigs space, of which 5 is left so i dunno how we'll overcome that, but im sure we will somehow. I'd like to be there of course when everbody is editing to say 'yeah i like that' or 'no change that to this' etc as after all it is my project. My mam's boyfriend is a carpenter so i'm sure i could get some left over MDF or cardboard from him and some green paint to have a makeshift greenscreen. Of course i'd like there to be a someone documenting the process of making the film also, to perhaps put as an extra on the dvd, if we ever get dvds of the film published (which i'm sure can be achieved by the abscondering of a generous person's dvd burner ;-) So we'd need a second dv cam (not very high quality) for that also. Erm.. anything else people? Also i'd like, if possible, for people to post in the other forum that admiral set up telling me who u are, general interests, experience in the field (if any) and what you hope to bring to the project. Also a guy from gay trekkies ireland with whom i have been coresponding has pointed me to a few irish science fiction comunities to contact with news of the project asking for even more help. Then hopefully, fingers crossed when everything is finished, i'll try secure a screening in an irish science fiction convention and then perhaps a star trek one over in the UK, see what happens. Ambitious i know but as i keep saying, if we all put our mind to it... this will work.

Erm, which forum is this now? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Seinfeld

What type of camera will you be using. In a previous post you said you have a loan of a €4000 camera, are you just going to use one camera?

1 camera would be fine for the film. If you were to use 2 it would be better to have 2 of the same type to keep the look consistant.

What i would like to be doing would be film titles, have a hand in visual effects and to work on monitor/tricorder screens etc.

Big question is who is directing? and who will be producing?

Alan

The whole point of this thread is to get people those kinda jobs, find out who's good at what, that kinda thing. Apparently the guy who's loaning us the camera has previous directing work so we'll probably just use him, but i'll be overseeing the whole thing as it is my 'artistic' project anyways, and i'd want to keep it in line with my original vision. No one has been appointed position of producer as of yet but if i'm honest i'm not exactly sure what a producer does. Some film maker i am, eh?

A producer does what you are doing now. Organises people, equipment, timetables and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Seinfeld

One camera would not be fine, well maybe if you plan on making a mediocre film. You would not have to use two cameras the same, just make sure your white balance matches
    Originally posted by Figment
    1 camera would be fine for the film. If you were to use 2 it would be better to have 2 of the same type to keep the look consistant.

What i would like to be doing would be film titles, have a hand in visual effects and to work on monitor/tricorder screens etc.

Big question is who is directing? and who will be producing?

Alan

• Advertisement

Then I guess that's me then. Do i also have the power to appoint people jobs? If so then i appoint myself master and supreme ruller of everything in the universe... whilst this project takes place anyways ;-). Heh i'll be assistant director and editing supervisor, and other titles that i haven't thought of yet. When i get offered a little more help i'll start appointing jobs and we can get to work.

Originally posted by Seinfeld
    One camera would not be fine, well maybe if you plan on making a mediocre film.

Why is this?

Yes i'd like to know too. Different shots of different scenes could easilly be done with cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Steven999

yeah I could be an actor .I've starred in a lot of plays even got my picture in the Times(the Irish one that is ,not as global).I honed my acting skills when I was in the military when I learned how to tell my squad with a straight face that they all weren't about to die.recently I've honed my skills by telling my father with a straight face that his home cooking doesn't suck.

Originally posted by mike65
    Heres the standard you have to reach!

Cool.
    Effects wise we can and i would hope we will do better than that :)

Ohh we will. Admiral is a good cg guy. Speaking of which, admiral, can u render a small say 10 sec video of a shuttle or delta flyer flying past the screen please with a dead blue background? Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

Originally posted by mike65
    Heres the standard you have to reach!

Mike.

Oooohhh..... WE will do way better than this....:D

@Achilles: render is coming up....stay tuned.

The Admiral

Hehe.... good little CGI slave... *whip* Now... do the dishes and lick my shoes clean! NOW!!!

• Advertisement

I had a go myself, just because i never have.

Animation is a bit jerky, i am figuring out why...
    2 tests where i tried giving it the look of a handheld/more natural camera.

http://www.spoiltchild.com/new/Comp_9.mp4

http://www.spoiltchild.com/new/Comp_9_shake.mp4

about 700kb each.

Admiral, i think the jerkyness might be because of the rendering settings from max6/mental ray.
    Its smooth when rendered straight to video from max but when i render to images to bring into After effects this happens. Any suggestions?

Advertisement