Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Based Trek Movie Update

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

They look cool figment very well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Figured out the problem.

http://www.spoiltchild.com/new/Comp_10.mp4
    1.1mb

And the one with the shake which fits better with the blurs, and zooms.

http://www.spoiltchild.com/new/Comp_10_shake.mp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

Originally posted by Figment

Admiral, i think the jerkyness might be because of the rendering settings from max6/mental ray.
    Its smooth when rendered straight to video from max but when i render to images to bring into After effects this happens. Any suggestions?

Well, I never use 3dsMAX and I've never used After Effects before, so....well....what can I say..... If that would happen to me with my Maya renderings, I'd say it has either got something to do with some of the settings in the MayaRenderer but since those animations always look very clean, I'd say it has something to do with AfterEffects. In that case I would switch to Premiere ;)

No - honestly - I don't have a clue. You know: I'm a 3d animal... I can model more or less :rolleyes: but I'm very bad at video compression-conversion-filtering etc....

Maybe you could be of help to me...and explain me how you managed to make such excellent animations !!!!:D

The Admiral

@ Achilles: I made the Delta Flyer "bluescreen" animation as requested. I tried sending it to your hotmail, but it would appear your mailbox has reached its maximum capacity.... I can't post it here because of the usual thing: the size of it! (only 565 kB)
    I will be contacting my brother soon for some hosting sollutions here :)

The Admiral

• Advertisement

Mail it to me and i will put it on my web server for a while.

alan@spoiltchild.com

Admiral the problem turned out to be importing to after effects at the wrong frame rate (30 instead of 25).

What i did was take one of the fine models from sci fi mesh, add lighting, animate it in max with keyframes then export the animation as a series of .tiffs with alpha.

These were brought into aftereffects(like photoshop with layers that you can animate) where i added the background(found on web), animated it slightly to move with the ship then applied a blur filter where needed.

The camera shake one was a feature in after effects where you can record your mouse movement and apply it to a layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I can do all of that in premier anyways. Erm... admiral if yer online now log into msn and send it over, if not i can give you access to my ftp in a private message. If i need to log off and you're still not here, i can give you my username and password if u promise not to forward them onto anyone else, or delete anything that's there.

*edit*

Figment, thanks for joining us from the vid edit board. And erm... u know where i can get a copy of after effects then? A legal one that is... u got one handy? I tried it out before (downloaded the 30 day trial) but couldnt get to grips with it. And also, i aint seen you animation cus i aint got an mp4 codec *wonders what codec it is*)

.mp4 will play with the latest quicktime.

I have never actually looked at the vid edit board
    /me goes to read...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I dunno if it's an issue atm, but I found a place or 2 to get ST uniforms and pins and badges...

http://www.clicket.com/stgallery/stgal.asp

http://www.intergalactictrading.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart/store/category1.html?L+itc+wbwh6587+_DNextCategory_02ST_01NextTitle_02Star_20Trek_01NextImage_02startrekheader_2ejpg_01

Not sure about phasers or tricorders, so left them out for now...

• Advertisement

Sorry about my recant lack of posting. The Leaving Cert has been ocupyimg my time of late.
    Regards the story line Ive had a few ideas which I shall post once I got some proper time.

Yeah leaving cert has been taking up some of my time too... that's why i wanna meet up with you all when it's all over. My home net access is still cut for now but i've managed to figure out how to hack into the computers in a local net cafe where i live so i can use the net whenever i want, for the best price of all, free. Hehe... aint i smurt? :P Anyways yeah... im trying my best to get windows 98 to recognise my bloody usb keyring at the moment cus i wanna post up a picture i did for the logo of the movie. It's just something i quickly put together in photoshop but it doesn't look too bad...

Sorry figment... i thought you were someone else, never mind.

Alright was expecting replies but what ever, hehe. Here's the logo that i put together for the project. The final one will be similiar and look alot better, this was just something i threw together using photoshop, what does everyone think?

The bevel and the colour make it look a bit dated Achilles. Try a cleaner classy white/light blue instead.
    You might try putting the 'temporal incursion' on one line and line up the edges.

Great start, cant wait to see it when its finished.

If i get a minute, do you mind if i tweek your design?
    I dont want to step on toes so feel free to tell me to bog off :)
    I know there will be plenty of other stuff for me to do.

just wondering if anyone minds me writing a few pages of a script? Its just that Ive had some ideas which I hope you like. Like I said before after the Leaving Cert Ill get some up.

Sure darko go ahead. Just make sure it has elements of stuff i mentioned previously. If i like it we can use ideas from it. Also, figment, feel free to work on it. It was only a quick photoshop-me-up anyways just to see what was possible.

Something closer to this kind of text.

Hmm... The first one is DS9-format, while the second is in the vein of the movies...

• Advertisement

Sure darko go ahead. Just make sure it has elements of stuff i mentioned previously. If i like it we can use ideas from it. Also, figment, feel free to work on it. It was only a quick photoshop-me-up anyways just to see what was possible.

Now I was thinking what if the Enterprise guys and the outlaw guy have to team up to survive due to the fact that someone else from the 28th centuary has been sent back to ensure that the peace talks go through accordingly. He arrives in 21th centuary Earth destroys the Enterprise vessel, and beams down to kill the Enterprise guys and the outlaw guy. So now the Enterprise have no vessel and must join with the outlaw guy to build the beacon all the while running from the bad guy.

What do you think? Ill put up a proper synoposis on Saturday, if Im sober enough.:D Exams finished 12:50 Friday.

Nyer... that'd be too big of a scale to work with, we'd need Picard for that too, which does like... aint gonna work, Figment, i LOVE you're logo. You're really good at that, mine was just a quick throw together. You are now officially in charge of the artwork, that is, if you want to be. Anyways back to the story... i was thinking maybe some other member of Section 31 hears of them accidentially going back in time, and has orders to terminate them as they feck up the timeline somewhere else down the line (dunno how, but we can work on that) Anyways... the sec 31 guy and the fed guys team up to try get home, or at least to send a beacon through hyper temporal subspace (or whatever... makieuppie namie as we go along ;-). This 2nd sec 31 guy comes back, doesn't need to find them, and plants a bomb at the spire, set to destroy the guys when he goes back to the future and sends a signal through time. The first sec 31 guy intercepts one of the other guy's transmissions and finds out about the bomb. Now the fed guys and sec 31 guy have to worry about stopping the bomb, saving everyone's life in ireland, getting a signal back to their own time and getting home. How does that sound?

(Sorry it's taking me a few days to reply but i can only get on the net every few days. If i KEEP hacking into the net cafe's comps, they're gonna suspect something ;)

*edit* Thanks for the heads up on the uniforms Ken, yes it will be a factor... we can all pay for our own uniforms from that site or something... gotta find someone with a credit card first tho. Anyways... bridge cross... come to it... etc.

I have a credit card, but payment will have to wait until I have the money to pay for all the uniforms in one go... As you said, we'll work on that when that bridge comes.

Excellent man, that'd help alot, we'd all have to pool in tho, cant have you paying for all of them, unless you feel like being extremely generous ;-) By the way.... where the hell are you admiral?!

I would if I was rich, but sadly I'm as broke as an empty egg...

Empty egg.... hehe. ADMIRAL WHERE IN THE HAIRY ODO ARE YOU?!

Originally posted by Achilles
    Empty egg.... hehe. ADMIRAL WHERE IN THE HAIRY ODO ARE YOU?!

I'm back guys. Sorry I stayed "away" for some time, but I had a small crisis on my hands over here. I'm also in the middle of my exams and I still have to correct them all :eek:
    @ Achilles: I just sent over a low quality version of the Flyer animation to you email. Tell me if it is good for what you want to do with it, and then I'll upload the higher quality version to your server.

The Admiral

ps: after this weekend, I'll expect to have all the time necessary to work on this project again.

Advertisement