Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nortons ghost killed winxp

Options
  • 21-05-2004 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

i was trying to clone my hard disc and when my system went to restart before going into nortons ghost pc dos to clone the disc ,it booted back up to tell me no operating system found .........it never got as far as cloneing the disc ,i then took the disc and placed it into an other pc as a slave ,and had a look at boot file but it looks in order any help here would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

You either got a warez version or Norton seem to be churning out the problem rather than the solution. Try and repair using the winxp disk. DO NOT format the drive before backing up your data IF all else fails. All else being your ideas and the ideas expressed here. Dont do anything hasty yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

What version of ghost were you using? Could just be missing some boot files. Not being an XP user I can't recommend a way of getting them back. There are ways though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Load up the recovery console using the CD and try the fixmbr command to repair the master boot record failing that there is a fixboot command to write a new boot sector partition. Google both commands and the microsoft guides for thos commands are on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

it was norton 2003 it a real copy that came bundled with a dvd burner i got ,when the system shut down to reboot its meant to go into nortons pc dos and star cloning but it didnt ,i wont try to format till i get my stuff back of it ,if all eles fails ill put it in as a slave and just try to take what i can of it ,but id rather save the lot and not loose all my up dates and programs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

What were you booting from when this happened? The Norton CD you got? A ghost floppy? Or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

i think he was booting from the HD, maybe norton edits the boot files which is a bad idea imo. If i'm making a clone of a hd, I create a norton boot disk and take it from there

Advertisement