Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carfile

Options
  • 21-05-2004 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Did anybody watch Carfile, RTE's answer to Top Gear tonight (Friday)....

What a format (being sarcastic)!
    First they select a few cars...tell us little about the cars(most of it we know already) and rate them on Style ,design, value for money etc and they lose a car round by round finally deciding on the "best" one....

Last time I saw it they had a porsche 911 first (deserved by the way)
    followed by a mazda mx5....(erm not in the same league by any standards)
    The system is completely wrong!

Now I'm sorry but if I had a mazda RX8 (like tonight ) against a 6 litre GTR skyline and voted them on style the car to go would be the skyline ... what you wouldn't see is the next round of performance where the skyline just goes subsonic and completely demolishes the mazda

I'm not the first person to have noticed the bad system they have on this show (was talking to people in college and in the pub last nite)

Also I wasn't a great fan of DRIVE! either but I'd prefer it to the latest offering

Long live the stig !thats all I can say!

Should DRIVE! be brought back to replace Carfile? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cos its opposite Corrie I never se all of it but the bits I have dont encourage me to tape it. It looks very er basic
    no wit or real insight. The presenters are charisma free zones too.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ya can't beat Top Gear. I like the new format too. five's "Fifth Gear" which gets rerun on Discovery Home & Leisure isn't as good. I haven't watched the RTE car proggy and I doubt if I ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by byte
    Ya can't beat Top Gear

Agree
    Originally posted by byte
    I like the new format too

Don't agree. I feel it's like a chat show :(
    Originally posted by mike65
    Cos its opposite Corrie I never se all of it

Well mike65, that at least is proof that you are a happily married man, albeit a bit shy of buying a second television set just for yourself ;)

(or not allowed out of the room during Corrie of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Carfile is a pile of ****. Drive was pretty good back in the day, most of the main cars on it were already tested ages ago on Top Gear though, seems like they just tested whatever they could get their hands on. Still, the presenters were way better than the twat on Carfile.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw the last minute of carfile last night where they were reviewing 'coupés'. I would have called it a roadster review myself but anyway.
    I thought the two presenters were too dry.
    IMO Drive was better but I still think it wasn't very good as they reviewed a car six months after it was launched!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Utter carp , the Audi TT and haiundi coupe were knocked out in the first round but they are the best selling coupe's in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

is carfile repeated during the week? i still havent seen it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Its crap avoid like the black death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 wishlist.ie

are you surprised? Its RTE ffs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by knife_fighter
    Utter carp , the Audi TT and haiundi coupe were knocked out in the first round but they are the best selling coupe's in ireland
    big sales figures do not mean that the car is any good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

What an odious little programme. It was on a sky channel a while back, it was terrible then also.
    Originally posted by mike65
    The presenters are charisma free zones too.
    Mike.

:D absolutely. Cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

carfile is pure sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Firstly can't stand the presenter, like to the point I'd like to kill him.

They don't really drive the cars, like 20mph going through some estate, going oh this is great, look at me grin. :S that pisses me off.

The fact that the cars are knocked out at each round, it means you only get to see some aspects of most cars or you see nothing at all, like if there knocked out in the very begining. Stupid stupid stupid, I'd much rather go over everything about the car and have less cars per show.

There stupid rating system. The amount of times they go, "i'll give it 5 points" and thats all they say, WHY. :o

Have i said i really hate the presenter.

*shuders*

Oh and Drive, was okay, well more than okay it was pretty good. Enjoyed most of it.

5th Gear is loads better, and then Top Gear still the daddy. These two would be my fav.

Advertisement