Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol promotion

• 21-05-2004 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the rumour mill that Esat BT will be announcing a new promotion on monday morning.

rumour has it that it will include a 4 month free trial for all new accounts as well as the current security pack and a webcam

anybody else heard anything about it???

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds like crap to me, 4 month trail??

They'd loose so much money it just wouldn't be funny...

They'd have to pay Eircom to enable a line and they'd ship the equipment ot users only to have users say they want to cancel, then they'd have to pay eircom to cease the line and they'd have to get the users to ship back the stuff.

It would be a financial and admin disaster imho
    At the most they might extend the cooling off period at the beginning of the 12 month contract but I doubt that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

well that's what I thought tbh but my m8 works for Esat and he swears it's true...

Just wondering has anybody else heard anything...

http://bb4free.iol.ie/index.html

Go to the IOL.ie website and this is up there, looks like they are giving 4 months free on broadband!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

oh its one of them register your interest things
    i registered my interest for dsl with them ages ago
    do you think they got back to me when my exchange was enabled and line passed?

hell no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Iago
    http://bb4free.iol.ie/index.html

Go to the IOL.ie website and this is up there, looks like they are giving 4 months free on broadband!!

You do realise the public aren't supposed to know about this yet? Didn't your mate in esat say 'don't tell anyone but..'? Some friend you are, blabbermouth!

'Trial IOL Broadband and Pay Nothing For 4 Months' is very ambiguous. It could mean that you don't pay for it for four months and then you have to pay for those four months 'free' broadband, a la the hire purchase agreements Dixons etc have, OR it could be that you pay nothing for the first 4 months but you're tied into a 12 month (OR LONGER!) contract.

• Advertisement

Well if the public aren't supposed to know about it why is it up on the website?

Surely if it's there and you can register it's in the public domain???

and no he didn't tell me not to tell anyone..

Well if the public aren't supposed to know about it why is it up on the website?

THat's a stupid excuse. There's plenty of stuff on the iol website that's not meant for the public. The point is, if there's no link on the main iol page, people aren't supposed to see it yet.

Anyway.

Hold on a second, if you go to www.iol.ie the popup box that appears says that you can get 4 months free broadband and when you click on it you go to the url I posted...

That to me says that it's available for the public, i.e. anybody who logs onto iol.ie has access to it. What's the problem?

Hold on a second, if you go to www.iol.ie the popup box that appears says that you can get 4 months free broadband and when you click on it you go to the url I posted...

Notice I used the word 'if'. I couldn't be arsed checking the IOL homepage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by eth0_

Yet again you jump on someone and turn out looking like an idiot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Maybe you should get your facts straight before attempting to flame people.
    Anyway, it's 4 months free not a HP type thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Eth0_ based on a relatively innocuous post which simply gave information on something thats available for all to see on a website you have called the poster a blabbermouth and by inference a poor friend - you invented stuff that the friend is supposed to have said to the poster. You accused the poster of providing a 'stupid excuse' when the poster only pointed out that information was available on the website. And then while you have no bother insulting someone in this way you admit that you cant even be bothered to check the website.

Is this sort of thing now acceptable on boards?

yup i must say iv noticed eth0_ does this time and time again

thats an interesting promotion Iago thanks for bringing it to my attension

double post sorry

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    Maybe you should get your facts straight before attempting to flame people.
    Anyway, it's 4 months free not a HP type thing.

Yes I probably should have checked the IOL page but it takes literally MINUTES to load on my dial up connection, and friends of mine in IOL told me last week that this offer wasn't going public til Monday.

How do you know that? I never said it was hire purchase, that would be ridiculous! I was COMPARING it to those offers you see in shops 'get 4 months free'. The fact is no one here knows what the catch is with this and no one will until it's officially launched Monday.

Dub45 - I didn't 'invent' anything.

tuxx - do I? Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Now now dont turn this into a flame war back on topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Sorry bizmark old bean but i dont want to start a flame war but i believe ETHOS behaviour and attitude of late has been at most deplorable, that message does come up about the iol 4 months free i KNOW CAUSE I JUST REGISTERED (AGAIN I MIGHT ADD :)), the original poster did not post any big secret about IOL and to be called a blabber mouth by someone who in the past has shot from the hip as well shall we say is unacceptable behaviour and i believe a ban is in order

My 2 cents

Shin

Shinzon who do you think you are, a headmaster?
    The fact is, I was told last week by two people I know working in esat that this promo wasn't being launched until next week, so I apologise for what I said to the original poster but at the time of posting what I said was 100% correct to my knowledge. Why would I doubt people who work in the company, after all.

Perhaps we should let this get back on topic now, shiny old bean?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by Truckle
    Yet again you jump on someone and turn out looking like an idiot...

BUT she has nice eyes :)

Dub45 - I didn't 'invent' anything.

You do realise the public aren't supposed to know about this yet? Didn't your mate in esat say 'don't tell anyone but..'? Some friend you are, blabbermouth!

I cannot see the 'dont tell anyone but...' anywhere in Iago's posts. And when someone quotes something that was never posted I think it falls quite easily into the realm of invention.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Tusky
    BUT she has nice eyes :)

Coming from a moderator of 'Horror' that has to be a dubious compliment :D

Originally posted by dub45
    I cannot see the 'dont tell anyone but...' anywhere in Iago's posts. And when someone quotes something that was never posted I think it falls quite easily into the realm of invention.

You really do have a very over active imagination. That was a query, didn't your friend tell you not to say anything. I don't know this guy, I don't know his friend in Esat. Now I think you're the one who's flaming now, dub45 - not to mention trying to insult me. I just said we should drop this and get back on topic.

Next person to post off topic will be banned simple and effective

i want to watch the fa cup

You really do have a very over active imagination. That was a query, didn't your friend tell you not to say anything. I don't know this guy, I don't know his friend in Esat. Now I think you're the one who's flaming now, dub45. I just said we should drop this and get back on topic.

You talk about an overactive imagination yet you are the one coming up with a supposed conversation. I am not flaming I am pointing out your rudeness to the original poster thats and the only reason you appear to want to get back to the original topic is to divert attenion from that rudenss. You were not worried about the topic when you were being rude.

So has anyone asked in the utv support forum if they're planning on matching this offer? Nice to see competition coming from IOL first, now if they would just lower the cost of their business dsl - even eircom are better value than them now!

dub45 banned for a small amonth of time

originally posted by eth0_
    Jesus that's a ridiculous thing to say. Of course not. Unless they're trolling or personally attacking someone i'm not about to ban someone 'for their opinion'! As i've already said, this is the first ban i've ever had to do, it's not like i'm sitting at my computer with an itchy trigger finger.

Interesting quote from you there in the last few days Eth0_, I have to say that judging from that you should ban yourself for a while seen as you attacked me for no reason. At the same time, you have apologised and I accept it, I would just ask that you're not so rash in future.

My reason for posting this link is because I think it's in the interests of users of this board, it's certainly in my interest seen as I'm using IOL Broadband, and I'm not getting a 4 month free trial!!! (which I would love btw if anyone from IOL is viewing this :D )

It should also be of interest to any users who are thinking about getting broadband and are looking here for information. I only posted information that is live and available to the public on the iol site and didn't break any confidence so I feel I was justified in doing so.

Anyway, hope this is of interest or help to somebody

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

now if they would just lower the cost of their business dsl - even eircom are better value than them now!

We were told wait until May. Pah! We've waited and ordered Netsource now.

The IOL Promotion looks interesting. Recommended it to a friend but must wait and see what T&Cs come with it on Monday.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I've registered details, there was no "terms & conditions" clause, so I'll ask them about it when/if they phone.

Chap I know who works for esat says it's a head-to-head between esat and eircom.

• Advertisement

I wonder, if they didn't limit the RADSL to 512k what kind of speed could we reliably squeeze out of it..

Advertisement