Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol promotion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by halenger
    We were told wait until May. Pah! We've waited and ordered Netsource now.

Luckily i'm living with someone so the 109 euro a month isn't as hard on the pocket! I hope they have the price lowered by the time we order it in July :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is a fun thread.. Talk about bitchy.. meeoowwwww

Its a great offer but it still involves me getting a phone line with Eircom and that ain't gonna happen!!

Unless IOL's business broadband is available in Foxrock/Leopardstown and they have unbundled that last mile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by dub45
    Coming from a moderator of 'Horror' that has to be a dubious compliment :D

just because Im a horror mod doesnt mean im attracted to zombies !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by eth0_
    There's plenty of stuff on the iol website that's not meant for the public.
    Anyway.

IOL's 1995/1996 hme page is Up There Too , outta interest like.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Originally posted by Truckle
    Yet again you jump on someone and turn out looking like an idiot...

[insult edited]
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

So have any of you annelids found out if this offer is genuine.
    Whats the catch, I don't mind if thecatch is just a 12 month contract but that seems a bit too good to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It's defo genuine, apparently the way it works is this...

You get a 3 month free trial with no commitment, other than returning the modem before the end of the 3rd month.

If you decide you want to keep the service then simply do nothing, you'll get the 4th month free and you'll be in a 12 month contract.

The 12 month contract is standard anyway so I'm not sure I'd call it a catch. Seems like a great offer, if only I wasn't already in the middle of a contract with them!

I was talking to my m8 today but he said that he hasn't heard about anything for current customers yet, anybody heard any rumours? or is is a case of bad timing, sorry but tough luck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

This interests me...

But I suppose my having an ISDN line will cause complications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I can imagine IOL/Esat trying to get that one right.. Just return the modem to us with a simple letter stating you don't want broadband anymore... 2 years later you will still be getting billed!!

Why not just offer 3 months free to anyone who connects..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

4 months free. Ummm there would have to be some majorrrrr catch to stop most people from jumping for an IOL bb connection. My only concern is that with the influx of new users performace might suffer...

This is good news for BB in general, very competitive. I really didn't see this one coming...
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭niallsmart

Damn it -- just got IOL BB a few days ago -- any word on redress for us recent subscribers? Just got off the phone with a rep, didn't have any joy convincing him to give me four months free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I got IOL BB on Thursday, but I'm not too upset. After all, I spent over 20 euro for a week of dialup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

i signed up for it today, seems the only catch is that it's open to people (read phone number) who've never been subscribed to bb from anyone else before..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

is that all the catches???

i mean, this is a LEGEND of a promotion, and this is ireland. usually you dont get the 2 together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

For those of you who got it recently, use your irish law given "Cooling Off period" and return the thing.

Then next week sign up for it again :p

I'm sorely tempted to get it for 3 months. The things i could do with my existing 512/512 connection, and then an extra 512/128 connection... **drools**. Is anyone else here who already has broadband thinking of signing up with IOL for 3 months, then returning it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by VinnyL
    i mean, this is a LEGEND of a promotion, and this is ireland. usually you dont get the 2 together!

Seems pretty similar to the pre-christmas promotion where you didn't have to pay the €100 setup (still got free modem and 1x free month).

However, I think a 3 mth totally free trial period is a great idea for changing over folks who don't think they need broadband :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

The add on the site claims 3 free months.
    I done a little bit of maths.

Utv click silver €30per month + €6VAT * 12 months = €432

IOL broadband €40per month +€8VAT *9 months =€432

WOW isn't that amazing IOL are dropping their prices to the same price as their nearest competitor with the added bonus of not having to give these savings to their existing customers.

What a bunch of nice guys , I guess their banking on people being too lazy to send the modem back and keeping the subscription.

They should just drop the price to meet UTV, surely they would have the advantage because with UTV you have to sign up to their phone service. A lot of fannying around if you ask me.

Your maths are a little off there...

UTV charge €29.99 a month inc. VAT so 29.99*12 = 359.88

IOL charge €39 a month inc. VAT so 39*8 = 312

you get your 4th month free with IOL if you decide to stay with them for the contract. The point is that the advertisment is correct

You also get a dual router, UTV charge €50 iirc

You also get a security pack, not available with UTV

you also get a free webcam, not available with UTV

as well as that UTV are also offering a 3 month trial with a 4th month free, it's not a scam, it's a wholesale promotion in order to improve the broadband takeup.....

eircom need 100,000 connections by decmber of this year and they only have 40,000 so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Have a look at
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162931

UTV are also going to be doing the 3 month free trial thing.

So that gives you (rates incl. vat btw)
    12 months UTV: €29.99 * 8 months (4 free) + €99 connection fee = €338.92
    12 months IOL: €39 * 8 months (4 free) + €90 connection fee = €402.00

Spend the €70 difference on booze & loose women :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IOL vs UTV

However on the other hand IOL has been a better quality and more stable service then UTV.

You don't have to change your phone service if you go with IOL.

If you do change your phone service to IOL it is even better value as you can get totally free (for 1 hour) local and national calls from IOL for a few euros extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Anyone know how long the promotion will last?

And also any more details on weather you get it if you go for Broadband Plus or one of the Bundles with Broadband Plus? [Im only going for Plus, not the regular]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Winters
    Anyone know how long the promotion will last?

And also any more details on weather you get it if you go for Broadband Plus or one of the Bundles with Broadband Plus? [Im only going for Plus, not the regular]
    between June 1st and November 30th, eircom wholesale are providing a rebate to providers for any brand new customer that has never had bitsream service on their line before. After 3 months, eircom wholesale will give the service provider a rebate.

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/pdfs/changebitstreampricelistv1.5.pdf

eircom retail are running a "summer broadband" promotion - free broadband until August 31st. So if you waiting until mid July to sign up, you'll only get 6 weeks free. Each provider can use the rebate to design their own promotion, but the rebate applies to any bitsream service, so IOL will get a rebate for plus customers as well as "ordinary" cutsomers, but I don't know if they'll give you 4 months of "plus" free, or whether they'll give your 4 months of the basic service free, and then upgrade you. (or give you a discount off the "plus" price for 4 months).

iol are giving 4 months free on either service for all customers who sign up between now and the start of November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

you can choose either iol bb or bb plus..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Probably going to sign up for the Talk and Surf bundle of Broadband Plus and Advantage Plus. Not sure though weather you will get the Broadband Plus or ordinary Broadband free. I want the Plus though as I need the ethernet modem and tis other advantages .. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I am gonna sign my mom up, so she can experience BB at home.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I want the Plus though as I need the ethernet modem
    You get an ethernet modem from IOL no matter which package you sign up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

My line still fails the pre test...sniff....sob...whaaaaa....

Advertisement