Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Viable Replacement for Motor Tax?

Options
  • 21-05-2004 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm relatively new around here so I don't know if this has come up before. Also, I'm having difficulty searching for any relevant posts from the past because there's a minimum 4 letters allowed in each search term!

So here goes . . .

Assuming that the Government *has* to have the several hundred million Euros (or whatever the amount is) collected in motor tax every year, is there a better, more efficient, way to collect it than the current method?

The only way I can think of is replacing it with added tax on motor fuels.

There's probably already a fuel duty collection "infrastructure" in place for existing fuel taxes so it would probably be an expansion of that.

Of course, you'd have people evading it with illegal imports and what not but there plenty of people evading the current system too (just read any local paper to see how much of it is taken up by "Paddy O'Toole Fined For No Tax Disc"-type articles - And their just the ones getting caught.

This way, you'd pay according to use and the current inequalities (private tax 2-3 times the commercial rate; taxis paying a pittance despite constant road use, etc.) - a sort of pay-as-you-go system. The more you use the roads, the more you pay.

You could then scrap the M.T.O.'s (Maybe driving licences could be handled by one central office like in the U.K. - you could even have a facility to give in your licence application to the post office who'd then send it on (like the do with passports).

What do you think?

Should I give Seamus Brennan a call? :)

Tommy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Sorry, I accidentally posted the same message twice and dunno how to get rid of this notice completely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I think that's how they do it in Austrailia. Good Idea IMO and an added incentive to not make frivilous use of your car. Those that use the roads the most pay the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Comprehensively agree with you TommyK :)

1. Polluter pays principle
    2. petrol prices here are relatively low so there is scope for higher duty
    3. unfair to have someone pay high road tax for an unused or rarely used car, just because engine capacity is high
    4. have to go after silly low tax categories like taxi's

Drive a thirsty machine myself and think it is only fair I should pay a premium per mile I drive (so either incorporated into a higher duty on petrol or an electronic tag on my mileage) compared to e.g. a Nissan Micra 1.0l driver :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

I'd be happy with that, I do about 20k miles a year so I'd be screwed even more but it's fairer. Motor tax takes in about €570m per year at the moment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the revenue are aware of this method but don't want to change the system. One has to ask oneself why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pay-as-you-go clearly is the best, most efficent method to raise revenue so why it has'nt ever been seriously considered (afaik) is a good question. I'd like to see the same with 3-rd party insurance like in Austrialia (I think).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

TommyK you need to get into politics and bring that idea around yourself !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I think the UK system of motor tax is allot fairer than what we have at the moment and it encourages people to use environmentally friendly cars.

The toyota prius with its dual engines which in reality does do 60mpg would have very low emitions.

Big gas gusslers like a 4.5litre BMW should be taxed the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

2. petrol prices here are relatively low so there is scope for higher duty
    They are currently at 99c a litre. I wouldn't call that low. A couple of months ago the price was only about 85c. I know we are not paying the high prices that the UK pays but it there has been a huge increase in petrol price lately.

The sooner Bush gets Iraq sorted the sooner the oil prices will level out again.

I don't think adding extra tax on petrol will solve the problem. I would rather pay my couple of hundred euro a year than pay extra on my fuel. It might be a viable option if the government gave tax incentives like they do in england for those that buy eco-friendly cars. Don't think it will work here.

It would be unfair against those that need large engine vehicles for work and sport. It can cost double the price to fill a large vehicle than something small like a Yaris or a Micra.

If it was only a very tax charge per litre it might not be too bad, but knowing this country they would try to screw you for every penny you got.

Originally posted by Rabies

It would be unfair against those that need large engine vehicles for work and sport. It can cost double the price to fill a large vehicle than something small like a Yaris or a Micra.

A large engined car is a luxery really so you'd have to be willing pay for it, even if the car is old and cheap as in my case.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by mike65
    A large engined car is a luxery really so you'd have to be willing pay for it, even if the car is old and cheap as in my case.

Mike.
    I can't really see a Micra with a hair dryer for and engine pulling a horse box at weekends. A minimum 2L engine is needed for regular heavy loads or the engine won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can't really see a Micra with a hair dryer for and engine pulling a horse box at weekends. A minimum 2L engine is needed for regular heavy loads or the engine won't last long.
    People who are self-employed get their petrol VAT free if they wish. I think the petrol costs of the horsey crowd aren't exactly a huge issue anyway. If you can't afford to pay a slight petrol increase, then you can't afford to keep a horse :)

If they introduced this, they would have to introduce a slight tax allowance increase for employers who have to pay for vehicles.

Not too much though, if they use a bigger vehilce for their work, why *shouldn't* they have to pay more?

It would benefit me anyway. Even 10c onto the current price of petrol and I'd still be paying less than my €50-odd road tax per year :D

Originally posted by seamus
    People who are self-employed get their petrol VAT free if they wish.
    Is it not just diesel that vat can be claimed back on? Petrol is exempt, right ?
    I think the petrol costs of the horsey crowd aren't exactly a huge issue anyway. If you can't afford to pay a slight petrol increase, then you can't afford to keep a horse :)
    I was just using horses as an example. People that own horses can't really use a car to pull a box. We need a second vehicle like a jeep or change the car for a jeep.

If they introduced this, they would have to introduce a slight tax allowance increase for employers who have to pay for vehicles.
    I think that would have to be a part of it if this did happen. Employers have a heavy enough fuel bill as it is with out adding extra to the cost.
    It would benefit me anyway. Even 10c onto the current price of petrol and I'd still be paying less than my €50-odd road tax per year :D
    Bit if a difference against my €700 tax

I can see where some people are coming from. The whole "soccer mom" issues has been raised a few times. These people drive big 2-3L cars and jeeps around to pick kids up from school. Not really eco friendly. But I don't think adding extra to the cost of fuel will help.

May just add more tax to petrol and not diesel :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by kbannon
    the revenue are aware of this method but don't want to change the system. One has to ask oneself why?
    It's more the minister than the Revenue.

1. We make money on lots of small scale exports (i.e. in your fuel tank) to the UK.
    2. It's pro-business (heavy fuel users).
    People who are self-employed get their petrol VAT free if they wish.
    I'm not sure about this. I think cars, petrol, food and accommodation and a few other items can't have the VAT claimed back.

Originally posted by Victor
    I'm not sure about this. I think cars, petrol, food and accommodation and a few other items can't have the VAT claimed back.
    Afaik, they can be claimed back if the VAT was incurred in the cost of work and you will be billing a customer, i.e. if they are costs associated with a job, so travel expenses, business dinners, etc.

Vehicles, afaik, you can claim any VAT back, but not VRT or Motor Tax. Accomodation I'm not sure about.

My Dad's an accountant, and I've seen VAT claimed back on plenty of meals and petrol receipts, and honestly put down on the declaration as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

accountant
    honestly
    ?

They are currently at 99c a litre. I wouldn't call that low.

It's one of the lowest in the EU...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I visited Ireland back in 1998 with my '77 Ford LTD station wagon. I sure got a lot of curious looks and great interest from bunches of kids as I drove by. Then I found out one reason why: Had such a car been Irish-registered the road tax would have been an extortionate £800 per year due to the size of the engine.

I'm not saying a graduated tax on engine size isn't acceptable, but the amount levied in Ireland is very high once you go over 2 liters.

By the way, the U.K. system mentioned above where the tax is based on emissions applies only to new cars in the last couple of years. Anything already registered still pays the under the old system, which is £110 if under 1549cc, or £165 for all other cars.

U.K. rates can be seen here: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxation.htm

Originally posted by PBC_1966
    U.K. rates can be seen here: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/taxation.htm
    Bit of difference compared to the Irish rates http://www.eforecourt.com/php/cartax.php

Originally posted by Victor
    ?
    :D
    Yes, there are some honest accountants out there, shockingly enough

• Advertisement

Hmmm....... This is thought-provoking. The idea of hitting bigger engines with ridiculously high tax rates may at first sound good from an environmentalists point-of-view, but it doesn't take other factors into account. Try this for size:

Case #1. Big V8, used by someone who works from home and uses the car maybe a couple of times a week for shopping and other pleasure trips. Maybe 50 miles per week on average.

Case #2. Small engine car, used by someone who does a round-trip commute of 100 miles per day, 5 days per week, plus other trips on weekends. Let's say 600 miles per week.

Is it fair that #1 should pay, say, eight times the tax of #2 for less than 10% of the usage?

Case #1. Big V8

That me with about 9k miles per year. Pay €1343 tax for the privilige (UK would be £165)

Don't mind paying extra but it should be based on usage, not a fixed amount.

The dude I sold my previous V8 to is a real car enthousiast. He typically has about 4-7 cars, all performance vehicles. He never pays any tax and just hopes he won't get caught. He lives in the ****hole of nowhere and so far got 1 car confiscated because it had no tax.

I know the law is the law and I would always pay my tax and insurance, but I have sympathy for this guy. How can he be expected to pay up to €10 GRAND a year in tax when he only ever drives one car at a time?

Originally posted by unkel
    I know the law is the law and I would always pay my tax and insurance, but I have sympathy for this guy. How can he be expected to pay up to €10 GRAND a year in tax when he only ever drives one car at a time?
    In fairness, if you're going to collect cars, you don't do it without a big wad of cash in your back pocket. Nobody's forcing him to own all these vehicles. I wouldn't have any sympathy for him. He knows the law under the current system. It's a hobby. If he wants a cheaper way to collect cars he should move country.

He can avoid taxing them if he doesn't drive them on public roads. If he wants to drive them on public roads, he has to pay the tax. Tough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

When are we going to have an emissions based system anyway? I have a very low emission, small engine, vehicle. Already hits Euro 4 standards. Why is my car lumped in with your bog-standard 1.0L, there's no incentive to have a greener car under the present system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

quote:

It's one of the lowest in the EU...

Well, 95 Octane petrol cost only 85c in Poland including road tax .
    and 37c for LPG

You drive more you pay more ,

Originally posted by Gmodified
    petrol cost only 85c in Poland

That's not that much cheaper than here. You caught me out though, wasn't thinking about the new EU countries when posting and have no idea about prices there :)

That's not that much cheaper than here.
    15c cheaper :dunno:

In a Polish context thats dammed expensive juice.

Mike.

That me with about 9k miles per year. Pay €1343 tax for the privilige (UK would be £165)

Don't mind paying extra but it should be based on usage, not a fixed amount.

That's me for many years as well, hence my choice of example. Some years I barely do 4000 miles. Another point is that many of the big V8s run cleaner than smaller engines anyway. Certainly all of my American V8s have sailed through emissions tests with a fraction of the permissible levels for the appropriate age vehicles. Many MoT inspectors have commented on how the emissions are way below those that they see on many of the little 4-pot Euro-boxes of the same year.

Seems to me that Ireland is the place to go for running vintage cars (>30 years) though. No NCT, run on old-style plates, and a flat-rate tax of just a few euros per year no matter what the engine size, plus cheaper fuel than the U.K.

• Advertisement

Seems to me that Ireland is the place to go for running vintage cars (>30 years) though. No NCT, run on old-style plates, and a flat-rate tax of just a few euros per year no matter what the engine size, plus cheaper fuel than the U.K.

Deffo - me starts musing about a V8 Rover P6
    ownerwind_01.jpg

Mike.

Advertisement