Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games breaking into your real life

Options
  • 21-05-2004 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Reading a reply in the best gaming moment thread, this idea came to me for an interesting thread.

Basically have you ever forgotten you're not playing a game in real life?

I've been re-playing GTA3 recently, and I've been doing the import/export mission. Anyway, the other day I was out walking and I thought I saw an ice-cream van. And for a second I thought to myself "Hey, I need that"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

yeah i jumped into a fire engine once, and tried to push the fireman out the door and do a vigilante but then i realised this wasnt gta, we had a good laugh about it back at the station :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

yeah man,
    i was walking through the feild and i seen these mushrooms and sudenly i started jumping on them hoping id get bigger...

nothing happed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yeah i dont know what ye know about the game far cry but i constantly walk into random objects and watch them fall over and sometimes look at rivers and say "thats an amazing water effect it looks so real"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

"thats an amazing water effect it looks so real"

LMAO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

after playing Tony Hawk for a while I started to look for lines and think "hmm, that'd be a cool rail"

I also look for sniper advantage points...but that's not entirely related to games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

That tetris thing is actually a real life condition, there is 1 guy who have gone catatonic and all he does all day is play tetris in there head stoping only every few days..... Not sure if its true tho.

but we have all tried to go asleap and when we closed our eyes seen bricks falling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

This one time i started to bleave i was the commander of Nod forces (C and C) funny thing happened............I recruited a small army and a few dump trucks to collect resources so i could buy some more solders anyway long story short after taking over large parts of Asia and south America i relised the extend of my mistake needless to say myself and the Global alliance had a good laugh about it down the pub

That wasn’t even the worse event though i mean there’s this one time i invaded hell itself with noting but a pistol but that’s another story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This remind me of this quote:

"If video games affected kids as much as they say, then it would be evident in those of us who grew up with pacman. We would be running around eating pills in dark rooms, seeing ghosts and listening to repetitive electronic music."

For some odd reason. But yes, I have on occasion had the urge to press Enter when walking past a nice car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A few years ago I got really bored and frustrated with my job. Anyway after a night's CS I staggered off to get the last Nitelink. Halfway to the stop I decided "Right. Thats it, I'm gonna quit. I'll give it two weeks, clear my desk and quit." I continue mumbling and grumbling to myself.

"But what am I going to do when I quit? .... Ah, I'll becoem a terrorist." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I've always liked you Victor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

If I've been playing CS a lot I've noticed that I tend to spot oppurtunities for headshots when someone is outlined at a distance from me.

I've also caught myself looking at the sea's waves/ripples and think nice phyics engine.

The usual seeing the video gaming when you close your eyes after playing it for ages.

[edit] please excuse spelling i've got about 2 hours sleep in a day, cramming for exams is nasty[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

In my dreams I used to play GoldenEye missions and see if I could beat the timer to get cheats:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bigshot

When I was heavily into the first splinter cell I was in an underground carpark after going to the cinema. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a security camera and instinctively thought about shooting it out so it wouldnt see me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by mayordenis
    yeah i dont know what ye know about the game far cry but i constantly walk into random objects and watch them fall over and sometimes look at rivers and say "thats an amazing water effect it looks so real"
    lol, i've done the same quite a lot recently.
    "blimey, those are some nice physics effects"
    "hmmm, nice reflection effect on that water"

after playing jedi knight 2 for a few hours, i sat down to watch the telly and tried to use force pull on the out of reach remote control:rolleyes:

after playing need for speed underground i saw a parked ford focus and thought "hmmm, i really need to spruce that up a bit"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

man, I thought I was bad. You all need to get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

after many many months of goldeneye play i was walking down the road when i saw a cctv camera, for a brief moment i got a shock that i had been spotted and wanted to shoot it out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I have looked at a lake before and though, 'wow their nice water effects, almost as good as Far Cry', lucky I only said this in my head :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

One that I found pretty funny was my sister who isn't really into games, started playing Resident Evil a few years ago... and after absolutely binging on it - goes into work the next day - sees a plant in a pot and thinks "hmmm I should collect that for health".

It doesn't effect me in a major way, but sometimes after playing Counter Strike for an extended session - I'd go outside and get the creepy feeling that someones aiming at me through a scope from down the road, and that I could be shot at any second.
    Although that's ^ very subtle, it's not like I'm scared or seeking cover behind things ;)

I think this is why they reccomend regular breaks from games though (apart from eye strain or whatever).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Pugsley
    I have looked at a lake before and though, 'wow their nice water effects, almost as good as Far Cry', lucky I only said this in my head :)
    Yeah or my personal faverite - "man, I'm getting mad fps out here" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Hm after playing Postal 2, i can often be found knocking peoples heads off with spades, pissing on cops and buying "Health Pipes" from retards, oh no wait sorry that was no game it was just a visit to Liberia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Now that you mention it I was out last night and ordered a pint of Einhander instead of Erdinger. The barmaid didn't know what I was on about until I realised my mistake. The worst thing was that I was ordering my first pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by l3rian
    after many many months of goldeneye play i was walking down the road when i saw a cctv camera, for a brief moment i got a shock that i had been spotted and wanted to shoot it out :p
    God that is a constant in so many games it must be why I always have a really strong urge to shoot out all CCTV cameras. Seriously whenever I see one of those cameras I REALLY want to take them out:p, thank god I don't have any weapons on me at the time ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Yea I tried to do this last week,

head.JPG

It Nearly killed me ;D

Thanks JoePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah... Reminds me of a time long ago...

I was going to head down the shop after a game of CS, and I decided it would be quicker to jump out the window, so I grabbed my knife and stabbed the window. This wasn't working of course, and me ma ran in and started screaming!

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"
    "Um, I was gonna jump out the window..."

*Stab Stab Stab*

"STOP THAT! YOU'LL BREAK THE ****ING GLASS!!!"
    "Don't worry, it'll spawn again next round..."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Seeing small stuff and wanting to curl into a morph ball and roll into them to check for a missile expansion... god i play too much metroid.
    so do these people...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    Yeah... Reminds me of a time long ago...

I was going to head down the shop after a game of CS, and I decided it would be quicker to jump out the window, so I grabbed my knife and stabbed the window. This wasn't working of course, and me ma ran in and started screaming!

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?"
    "Um, I was gonna jump out the window..."

*Stab Stab Stab*

"STOP THAT! YOU'LL BREAK THE ****ING GLASS!!!"
    "Don't worry, it'll spawn again next round..."

lmao.
    very good! :lol:

I do tend to notice good vantage points more often from playing games, what would be a good place for a snipe rampage where the cops wont be able to reach me.

A place where I can watch people spawn in front of me and then disappear when i turn my back.

damn GTA3.

oh, and I see unique jumps a lot. Good thing I dont drive.. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Games are life, games are happyness, games are almighty.

GAMES ARE LIFE, GAMES ARE HAPPYNESS, GAMES ARE ALMIGHTY

GAMES ARE LIFE, GAMES ARE HAPPYNESS, GAMES ARE ALMIGHTY

Our games make us happy, they inrich our lives,

I remember once when i was walking down grafton st, i thought i was playing a MOD for Armada and all the ships where replaced with people and all the bases with buildings.

Another good 1 was when my friend asked for the IP and i gave him a can of coke

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

When I played Vice city a lot, I used to look at the pavement as a viable alternative when stuck in a traffic jam. I also used to look around, without thinking, for ramps and possible jumps etc. Man that game ruled, I cant wait till San Andreas. I just hope that they dont make the PC people wait too long.

Moo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by User45701
    Another good 1 was when my friend asked for the IP and i gave him a can of coke
    eh?

Advertisement