Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone else getting viruses in there Vodafone mail

Options
  • 22-05-2004 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Like I said, they seem to be coming from legit places but the stand out becuse they've all got ~50Kb attachments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

not in mine

they posted a notice on their web mail service recently about adding SPAM filters... but highlighting that viruses aren't screened for...

Dear Vodafone Mail customer,

Please be aware that Vodafone have now introduced SPAM filtering software on Vodafone Mail. This will improve your experience of Vodafone Mail by reducing the amount of unsolicited email you may potentially receive. This filtering software will detect and delete most unwanted SPAM messages before they get to your Vodafone Mail inbox.

You can also use the "Block Sender" function from the read message view in Vodafone Mail to block email from an unwanted contact as before.

Please be aware that this filtering software does not screen for viruses. If you are in any way in doubt you should contact the sender to confirm their authenticity. Customers are advised to scan with anti-virus software any files or attachments downloaded from Vodafone Mail as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's not just vodafone, everyone's getting them at the minute. just depends on who's address books you're in. luck of the draw i'm afraid. at least you're smart enough to spot them. lots of people will just open them to see what they do.

the insatiable curiosity of the eternally dumb. all we can do is tyry and convince people that it's not a good idea to open these attachments and that anti-virus software is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I don't get any of the general spam emails through my vodafone account. But i do get at least 3-4 emails that more than likely contain a virus. All coming from hotmail, eircom, us.gov, microsoft addresses. I just delete them. Just annoying, thats all. Although my father has d/l and opened one or two of them from his account :( he will never learn, his usual line "i taught it was important".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have only got two recently on my personal Vodafone email account. My yahoo and hotmail addresses are getting about 10 a day. The viruses use the hosts address book to propogate itself. Very few poeple have my Vodafone account and the two viruses I did get were actually directly from mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    viruses use the hosts address book to propogate itself

scarily enough it's not just the address book anymore, some harvest email addresses from many different files on the machine (and any connected network drives) and use these to propagate itself

BrianG

• Advertisement
Advertisement