Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is the best movie trilogy? Feel free to comment

• 22-05-2004 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

From the aboves choices, in your opinion, which is the best movie trilogy ever made?

It's got to be The Lord of the Rings for me. None of the others come close.

Which is the best trilogy? 81 votes

The Lord of the Rings
    0% 0 votes
    The Godfather
    35% 29 votes
    Indiana Jones
    11% 9 votes
    Star Wars (the originals)
    11% 9 votes
    The Matrix trilogy
    19% 16 votes
    Die Hard
    7% 6 votes
    Terminator
    3% 3 votes
    Back to the Future
    1% 1 vote
    Jaws
    9% 8 votes
    Superman
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Matrix for me, i hate lotr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Lord of the Rings, or the Alien trilogy (ressurection is NOT an alien film, anyone who says such will be hutned down). No Alien opetion tho, so Ill go for LotR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i really enjoyed the Die Hard trilogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Lord of the rings is the greatest of the lot there, in that all 3 parts were excellent, of all the trilogies I've seen there at least one part of them were weak.

I have'nt seen the entire godfather films in full, as well as the die hard and Jaws series.

what's the point in going out we're just gonna end up back here anyway.

oh yeah the back to the future and Indiana Jones Films were great too:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Jaws - trilogy :confused:

there only is one, the original, all the rest don't even deserve to be called films

The best film in the list is The Lord of the Rings, but like the books you are supposed to view it as one single film, not a trilogy. Tolkien hated the fact that the publishers divide his book into three parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Pugsley
    ressurection is NOT an alien film, anyone who says such will be hutned down.

I'll concur there.
    Alien trilogy is a fantastic work, in spite of the non-alien film that was spewed out.

Godfather, and Terminator trilogies were both let down by their completely naff 3 parts, but otherwise great films.

There has indeed been some great trilogies though, hasn't there? Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Back To The Future will all hold a special place in my heart, and I should really scratch up some money and get the box sets of each respective trilogy.

What about the 3 Colours Trilogy?

Maybe Takashi Miike's 'Triad Society' trilogy?

Anywho, I voted LOTR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭PaulHughesWH

Actually, I probably should have included the Alien trilogy instead of Jaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by PaulHughesWH
    Actually, I probably should have included the Alien trilogy instead of Jaws.
    Mmmm, might have been a plan. No sane person is going to vote for Jaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Jaws isn't a trilogy, it goes up to 5 or something. Anyway, it would be a toss up between LOTR and Matrix.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I voted LOTR as well. I'll agree with there being a number of other decent trilogies and yes, I also feel that the three alien movies should've been included (and will they ever make a fourth Alien movie anyway....). Nice to see there's actually a few decent choices to pick from, especially considering some other trilogies have been left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Evil dead???

I also feel that the three alien movies should've been included (and will they ever make a fourth Alien movie anyway....).

Good news then. Ridley Scott has said that if AVP is a succecc then he would like to make a 5'th, er 4'th Aliens film with Sigourney Weaver. So even if AVP sucks I'll still go in the vain hope that I am helping get a decant Aliens film made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

LOTR for me, although the matrix and star wars were excellent, but lotr was made so well that its better then the books imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by Fuhrio
    LOTR for me, although the matrix and star wars were excellent, but lotr was made so well that its better then the books imo.

true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

There was only two Terminator films, one Matrix film, one Jaws film, 3 Ailen films! Anything to contrary is a sad liar!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

:eek:
    Oh come off it!

That's just plain lunacy right there.

:confused:

did you even read the books?

I love the films and I think that Peter Jackson did a fantastic job, but they are just a cinematic interpretation , the books have so much more to offer...

Originally posted by ixoy
    I also feel that the three alien movies should've been included (and will they ever make a fourth Alien movie anyway....).

Alien Resurrection is the fourth Alien movie.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by UnrealQueen

yes, bus ask yourself, does it really deserve to ranked/listed alongside the other three?

Yes it does absolutely. In fact Resurrection is one of my favs. Alien3 is the other:p

don't forget Mad Max!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

it has to be indy....consistently good

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    No it isn't :D AR is a piece of woeful dire crap. It's not to be mentioned in the same page as the other three. So I maintain there's but three movies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Originally posted by ixoy
    No it isn't :D AR is a piece of woeful dire crap. It's not to be mentioned in the same page as the other three. So I maintain there's but three movies...

I concur!! Can we put Terminator 3 and the second and third Matrix films in there too?
    it hurt to that there was a second and third Matrix film!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How can a film board rate LOTR over The Godfather? :rolleyes:

Yes, maybe the third movie wasn't up to the standard of the other two, but that one trilogy still contains 2 of the best movies EVER made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭PaulHughesWH

Any chance one of the moderators can edit my poll, and substitute the Alien trilogy for Jaws?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

In my opinion the beat is LOTR but the matrix comes in at a close second, with the Godfather and Terminator in at joint third.

Everyone take a close look at all theses trilogys, the Godfather is an absolute classic, it brillent, and who doesn't Love Arnie as the big indestructable Robot known only as the Terminator, but its probably because their the freshest of the trilogys that the Matrix and LOTR are the best.

I also liked Die Hard but wouldnt consider it before the others i mentioned.

• Advertisement

What about the evil dead trilogy anyone!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Carpo

And no option for the Dollars trilogy either? :(

(Btw am I the only person on the planet that thought Terminator 2 was by far the worst of the 3?)

Originally posted by Carpo
    (Btw am I the only person on the planet that thought Terminator 2 was by far the worst of the 3?)

yes you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Originally posted by Carpo

Yes. The only person/lifeform in the universe too I'd wager.

Indiana Jones trilogy definately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Sefrian

i picked matrix.... most entertaining
    Godfather best story imo.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

The best all round trilogy would have to be LOTR

but Star Wars had more impact for its time when the first three films came out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

despite Carpos' moment of lunacy (abbout T2 being the worst Terminator film) he did mention the absence of the dollars trilogy. This is the one of the 3(!) trilogies that I love the most. And how many trilogies can claim that the 3rd part was the best one? And Clint Eastwood at his coolest:
    ........"Get 3 coffins ready...........my mistake, 4 coffins"
    ........"there are 2 types of people in this world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig"

But really its a toss up between Godfather and Lord of the Rings. First 2 Godfather films were arguably the best 2 films ever, but as a trilogy the 3rd part lets it down a lot. However, the Lord of the Rings has 3 consistent, great films on such a massive scale. Both trilogies have great casts full of very capable actors. It's a tough decision.

Im voting for Godfather, because I have to try and help it get above the Matrix, where it so obviously deserves to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Indy, deffo, followed closely by LOTR and then Godfather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I voted the godfather, great movies that you could watch over and over again. I think though that the best of them was the Godfather III. It is unusual for a sequal to be better than its predecessor (the godfather II)

Wasn't there 4 superman movies

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Godfather because the 1st two really are cinematic epics.Lets see if LOTR has the same longevity as Godfather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

RAMBO box set yer only man on a lazy saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

what about kevin smiths jersey trilogy of four :D

alien trilogy is my fav

i would have said LOTR but the first one stands so high above the other two (i love em but the first is much better) for a good trilogy u need at least 2 of the films to be amazing...

hence alien trilogy, star wars tirlogy, godfather trilogy, back to the future tirlogy and so on are good.

Jaws, matrix and Rambo meh, after 1 who cares...(yes both reloaded and revolutions are horrible films in my mind, well reloaded is a computer game not a film (think they got the reels for enter the matrix and reloaded mixed up?)

p.s Someone check this for me? Is it possible to get Rambo in america? Cause the story line was Rambo helping out Osama Bin Ladin in Afganastan so i was wondering if they stopped selling it after 9/11???

Advertisement