Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're in the Top 20!!!

Options
  • 22-05-2004 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Just a quick note from the road, as New Colour Soul are still in the middle of our tour, but we've just had confirmation that our debut single Life's a party has entered the irish single charts at number 17 with sales of over 600 CD's in the first week, making us one of the elite group of artists to have a top 20 hit, let alone an unsigned band!

This is an unbelievebale testament to the support and enthusiam that all of our loyal supporters have shown this band since our humble beginnings just over a year ago. This is just the beginning of things too, and this week, with our appearances in Hot Press, our "hit" review on Dave Fannings 2FM show, and our uncovered unplugged session on FM104's Strawberry Alarm Clock has given us a taste for bigger and better things.

In keeping with the vibe of the single, we're gonna have a HUGE party tomorrow night in Crawdaddy on Harcourt Street, with Silver Addictive, Hotel and our good friend Marcus Valentine. Get yer asses down and lets celebrate in style. €4 Euro off with proof of purchase of the CD, so if ya ain't got it yet, pick one up and we'll make ourselves at home in the charts! The top ten is so close, we can taste it!

cheers,

Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Could be the most famous person on boards soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

whey.. well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congrts and well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Hot damn, those mp3s are fantastic ! Have ye an album out yet ? Ill pick up the single when im next at the shops.

Boards.ie .... dead handy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well done famous person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

knowing first hand how hard it is to get your CDs into the shops never mind getting people to buy them.

CONGRATULATIONS and WELL DONE

"those who can do while those who can't merely become journalists and write about it."

fair play to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never heard of ye! :D

I just d-l'ed the two live tracks - not my bag per se and a bit too like Extreme (!) in parts but clearly well played.

Who's on keys? He's good!

Well done! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Hey Robbie,

I heard you guys on FM104 this morning (it was probably a repeat of Thursday's show). You did a really good job. The single sounds great and the cover of "Strange Relationship" was fantastic!

Your approach to music seems to be quite similar to ours (my band... Still don't have name yet!) in that you wanna play stuff that people will enjoy on first listen. The sax and keys really differentiates you from the dirt-rock that's out there at the moment.

Not that's there's anything wrong with other bands, there's some fantastic "guitar-bands" out there, but "different" makes people go "Hey, what's that?"...

You guys deserve to do very well. It's great to see an unsigned band getting high rankings in the charts and such publicity. There's hope for us all yet!

Groove on.

-Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Thanks for the kind comments, folks!! Wow, I'm just floating along on the wave of adrenaline that surrounds achieving something like this. We just finished a gig outside the Pavillions in Swords in the sunshine, now it's off to Crawdaddy for the big charting party!! Thanks to all who downloaded our MP3's, make sure to buy the single though, cos that track has had more production time and is more indicitave of our current sound. If you liked the MP3's you'll love the single!!

GoneShootin, we haven't an album out yet, just the single for now. We are working on an album, it won't be out for about another 6 months or so, sure I'll let you alll know when that happens. Haha, I like your quote about journalits, very true, buddy!! (Although, they did seem to like us in Hot Press ;) )

Mike65, that's me on keys, as you can probably figure out from the sig...:D Cheers for the compliment.

Thanks for the comments, deathfunk, and let me know as soon as you guys are doing something, we'd love to check you out! We had a great time on FM104, and two guys Colm and Jim Jim were fantastic to us. We felt really relaxed with them, which helped us to pull off a great performance that we were happy with (considering it was 9am and it was our 17th gig since Thursday....!)

The thing I'm happiest with is that this is an achievement not just for us, but for unsigned Irish bands. It should be a wake up call for the big manufactured pop record companies. They need to start realising that we do not always want want to listen to the rubbish they are shoving down our ears constantly. It required a mamouth amount of work to get to where we are now, but it is well within the reach of anybody, once the music is good and the attitudes are right.

So once again, thanks to everyone for their support and comments. I will hopefully see some of you later in Crawdaddy for the big celebration party!!

Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Originally posted by robbie1876
    It should be a wake up call for the big manufactured pop record companies. They need to start realising that we do not always want want to listen to the rubbish they are shoving down our ears constantly.

Amen to that

And well done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by robbie1876

Mike65, that's me on keys, as you can probably figure out from the sig...:D Cheers for the compliment.

Robbie

Ah, I have sigs turned off!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Congrats Robbie, great to see an Irish band doing well:)

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Fair play to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

congrats Robbie, and keep up the good work. just downloading the MP3's from the website now, and I'll be swinging by to pick up the single tomorrow.

Just got a preview of new funk order (still not finished downloading tho) and melikesalot!

I'll be spreading the word at work tomorrow anyway.

is it OK for us all to say we 'know' you? ;)

"Ah, yeah, Robbie from New Colour Soul. Yeah I knew himback in the day. we were part of this close knit 'community'. He's all rock and roll now tho, he wouldn't remember the little people anymore." :D:D:D

just kidding. ;)

Who are you?? Why are you talking to me??

:D

Thanks for the support again. We're finished the tour now, ended up doing 20 gigs in 10 days. I just have one favour to ask you all this week: If you like the track, can you text a request for it to 2FM, Today FM, FM104 or any of the regional stations. They have all played it, and it would be nice to get a few more spins while we are in the top 20 this week.

Some statistics from the tour:

Thursday 13th May to Sunday 23rd May

Gigs performed: 20
    Support bands we played with: 18
    Miles driven: 2417
    Members of band sunburnt: 2
    Coffees consumed: approx 80
    Mic stands lost: 2
    Extension leads 'acquired': 3
    Arses signed: 1
    Strings broken: 2
    Number of times we left the Telecaster behind in a venue: 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Jenko

Hey guys, I'm Jenko, the drummer and manager of New Colour Soul, and I just wanted to stop by to say thanks to you all for your positive comments. We spend a lot of time on web boards advertising gigs etc, and it's nice to see some sound people who are genuinely supportive of new music, and not solely interested in sitting around bitching behind a computer terminal. Fair play to you all.

If you guys want to check out more of our stuff there's mp3's on the website, but the best thing you could possibly do would be to pop into HMV, Road or Tower and pick up a copy of Life's a party. It's also available from our site www.newcoloursoul.com and all these purchases will go towards keeping us in the charts, and making a stand for unsigned music for a second week running. It's less than the price of a pint and quite good too!

Thanks again, and hope to see some of you guys at a gig soon,

Jenko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

fair play to ye

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

well done, something to tell the grand kids. Irish top 20, hot press, strawberry alarm clock, a hit on Fannings hit or miss.

All of this without management or record company, well done again.

We just got confirmation that Life's a Party has remained in the Top 30 this week, dropping only a few places to number 25. We are still managing to keep our position just on top of Britney, which is quite pleasurable for now....

Thank you to you guys for buying the single this week!

Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

We are still managing to keep our position just on top of Britney, which is quite pleasurable for now....

uh. no. I won't. :D

Advertisement