Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History quotes

Options
  • 22-05-2004 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone got some funky quotes to drop into history essays? I'm told that they really make you look like you know your ****.

I've got a few Bismarck ones:

"I am all nerves, so much so that self control has always been the greatest task of my life"

"Never believe in anything until it is officially denied"

"Man cannot create the current of events but can only float with it and steer"

"It will have the effect of a red rag upon the gallic bull" (on the Ems telegram)

"Not by means of speeches and majority verdicts will the great decisions of the time be made... But by blood and iron" My fave because of the irony

"Preventative war is like commiting suicide from fear of death"

As one writer put it: "Germany was a barrel of gunpowder which was all ready to explode once Bismarck had set the fuse in 1871"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

They're supposed to be quite usefull in English paper one, section 3 essays, if you do the argumentative type, which I usually always do. You might want to have a few that you can use in both history and english, just changing the context to suit the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"know your enemy and kno yourself, and you shall never be defeated in a thousand battles"- sun tzi (sic)

As one writer put it: "Germany was a barrel of gunpowder which was all ready to explode once Bismarck had set the fuse in 1871" I wouldn't use that one, its shortsighted IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Advertisement