Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network card problems in win2k - please help!

Options
  • 22-05-2004 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm ready to crack, I'm attempting to setup internet connection sharing between 2 machines so that my dad can browse the web, here's the problem:

I've about 4 oldish ISA network cards, and none of them are recognised by win2k, im also using Xandros 2.0 on another partition and that doesnt recognise it either, in windows it doesnt even show up (as in its not even in "other devices")

The orange light on the card(s) stays lit but the green doesnt flash so i assume that theres a problem with the driver, the thing is... i dont know what models the NICs are, i think theyre just generic aul things but theres no point in me going out and forking out €30 for a new 3Com card.

Also i was told that i may need NDIS drivers that become active before the OS boots, does anyone know if theres a generic driver that will do any sort of NIC (like i said, i dont know what model the cards are)

Any help with this would be really appreciated, thanks.

Aligator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

You will get a net card for under a tenner.
    Ditch those other things tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Try the ISA cards as NE 2000
    lots were NE2000 compatible(ish)

But then again they probably ain't PnP so even if you found the drivers you might still have resource conflicts - IRQ etc. - not worth spending time over esp. since they are most likley 10Mb - stick an ad in wanted section ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I got a PCI card and it worked perfect... but then brains here decided to convert the drive from FAT32 to NTFS so i could rig up permissions for the network, it looked fine until it started asking for redistribution packs! crap.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help.

Al

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Probably a bit late to remind you that the only thing that can write to an NTFS parition safely is a working copy of NT/2K/XP - it's a real paint your self into the corner move.

Advertisement