Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

direct debit - the only way to pay?

• 22-05-2004 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Is there another way to pay iolbb?

I'm not confortable with direct debit...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

As far as I'm aware you have to pay by direct debit.

I do know that there are means to pay by credit card as I had to pay my bill that way for a while (it took them about 7 months to set up my direct debit). Their An Post and bank paying system (no bill so no bank giro) was a nightmare last September. Your best bet is to ring 'em an ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

If your paying IOL by direct debit make sure to check your bank account periodically. I had Netsmart and then upgraded to Anytime neither DD was presented to the bank and I've now got a bill from them for €600 going back over two years. I know I should have checked the money was being deducted but I just assumed it was. I can understand them losing one direct debit, but two is just incredible and yet no one in their accounts dept spotted it for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlaaBoy

oisin , a direct debit is a legal document isgned by you to the bank to allow whoever to take that amount of money out of your bank account per month . they cannot take the 600 out in one go , you should go and seek advice about this . normally what happens , if you say you assumed it was coming out and you cannot now afford the 600 , then they ususaly agree a compromise amount which would work out in your favour .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by rocky
    Is there another way to pay iolbb?

I'm not confortable with direct debit...

I found that the easiest way to do this if you are not comfortable with the idea
    of paying a bill using direct debit is to do the following:

- Setup a bank account in a different bank to your own
    - Setup a standing order for the amount from your own bank account to this bank account
    - Arrange to have the direct debit taken out 5 working days after your standing
    order goes through.. it normally takes 3 working days to transfer money from one
    bank to another and give an extra couple of days for the sake of mix ups and such.

I used to do this with a few bills I had a few years back.. set amounts each month
    and it works a treat as they cant take anymore than is in the account.. costs a little
    bit more in bank fees but worth it if u ask me.

Tox

Advertisement