Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence

Options
  • 22-05-2004 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Hello people, i passed my theory last week and now want to apply for provisional... now i just got a couple of questions...

1. When i go and physically apply myself (not by post).. will they give me some kind of slip or form to prove i am waitin for the licence so i am legally able to start lessons straight away or do i have to wait the week or two it takes to recieve provisional?

2. when i do get it,, when is the best time to be drivin on your own?? id like to get to it sooner rather than later.... i know i know... you're not ''supposed'' to drive without a fully licenced driver with ya.. but lets face it, i'm not gonna have a licecned driver ALL the time and i aint waitin the 8 or 9 months it takes to get the drivin test... thats the systems fault.. not mine!

thanks for the replies (if any);)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by newband
    1. When i go and physically apply myself (not by post).. will they give me some kind of slip or form to prove i am waitin for the licence
    Been a long time since I got a licence, but last time I did I got it there and then. Where does it say it'll take a week or two?
    2. when i do get it,, when is the best time to be drivin on your own??
    It's a good time of the year now, the long evenings are a good time to practice. Car parks are good, but I'm not sure there'll be many where you won't get hunted out of it these days.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

1) You have to wait for the licence.

2) Get your car and get at least six lessons in it before you start driving on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Ok so I just did all that on friday so here's how it works.

When you go in to the motor tax office make sure you have everything you need plus the fee.
    Once everythings checked you get a receipt that allows you to start getting driving lessons straight away. They told me it would take a week to ten days before I got my own licence back.

As jongore said get at least 6 lessons before you star on your own. Nothing wrong with starting on the right foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

thanks for the replies..

as for driving on my own,,, im literally about 2 mins away from work in a car, so once i'm on the early shift i'll probably drive as there are no cars around,, good practise imo.. plus its a business park so i could drive around there in the evenin and the place'll be empty... i think its better to just jump in at the deep end.. now which pedal is the brake again??:rolleyes: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

My provisional licence took 1-2 days (oh wait, I think I handed it in on a Friday and got it on the Monday).
    You have to have a valid (1 month or less) eye test report, DTT confirmation sheet, fee, passport photo's, application form, and so on.

Industrial estates and decent town-linking country roads in the evenings, are best to start driving on in the evenings. Get an experienced driver to start with you, then when you have the hang of things, belt around by yourself.

In Ennis, the driving test waiting list is ~2 months. I think it's the shortest waiting list in Ireland. Usually around 6-12 months in the rest of Ireland.

It's best to get an experienced driving instructor a month or so before the test.
    Do a couple of lessons - go through test routes and procedures etc. to get the hang of it. Instructors will also give you good driving habits (looking in mirrors etc.) all needed for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by conZ

It's best to get an experienced driving instructor a month or so before the test.

Instructors will also give you good driving habits (looking in mirrors etc.) all needed for the test.

I'd seriously suggest you get into that habit long before your test if you intend driving on your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

In Ennis, the driving test waiting list is ~2 months.

Its a horrible town to do your test in though.

When did this waiting for your license thing start? Is it teh same procedure for renewing your license, I have to get my second bike provisional this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

just so that you know by law you are not allowd to drive on your own on your first provisional licence, you have to have a person with a full licence with you other wise you are not insured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

so why do insurance companies insure provisional drivers? do they think every provisional driver drives around with a fully licenced one with them

i dont give a **** tbh,, its not my fault i have to wait anything up to a year to get a full licence,, i'm sure as hell not waitin that long to get a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Usually around 6-12 months in the rest of Ireland.
    Whaaaaaaat???! That's a ridiculous delay. I thought it sounded bad here when some test centers were quoting waits of 12 weeks or more. (Passed my test back in 1983, and I don't recall there being more than a couple of weeks to get a test date then.)

Many test centers in the U.S. you just walk in and tell them you want to take the test, no appointment necessary. Maybe a hour's wait until an examiner is free, then away you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Originally posted by bla
    just so that you know by law you are not allowd to drive on your own on your first provisional licence, you have to have a person with a full licence with you other wise you are not insured

You ARE insured, but just third party only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Originally posted by Stephen
    You ARE insured, but just third party only.

There must be some other drawback, I mean most provisional drivers
    in 1.1s will only have third party anyway, due to cost and price of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by vector
    There must be some other drawback, I mean most provisional drivers
    in 1.1s will only have third party anyway, due to cost and price of car.
    The only other drawback is maiming someone through lack of experience. If you get caught, you're also likely to get banned for 6 months, which your insurance company will use to rape you when you get back on the road.

Irish law states that if an insurance company has undertaken to insure you, and you have supplied all the correct information to them, then they are obliged to insure you against all claims arising against you. That's why provisional drivers, speeders and drunk drivers are covered.

Advertisement