Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Little HD LED Mod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Maxim-Ic will send you free samples of their products, and they have some of the parts you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Thanks for the link, but no joy on the TIL 198 or 4N25. Hmm, i'd there is some shop somewhere. This will bug me until i get it done.
    Thinking of putting this mod into the little grey area on the front of this case.

Mine's just the plain plastic logo though, not the aluminium on that.xspider_p.jpg

Also, anyone know ehere i could pick a suitable piece of perspex for making a window?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

Looking at the schematic and description, TIL138 looks like a standard optocoupler.
    Maybe try
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=2588&type=6&sid=689482x0
    (i'm sure Maplin do something similar).
    I've never used an optocoupler before.

4017 and 555 you'll pick up no bother in Peats or Maplin.
    They can be tricky to get working sometimes - if you run into trouble I'd recommend picking up a book that covers the 555 or Logic ICs!

hope this helps

Phil

Thats exactly what i'm looking for. I'll be buying this next week, From what i read on the forums on metku, anything with a darlington output works, I hadn't a clue what would work, but the H21B1 seems to be the job. Thanks for that. Now i just have to see if i'll have probelm running two blue LED's, but i don't think i will if they are in parralell. I haven't a clue about this stuff, but it seems ok. All i need is the pin config for the H21B1.

Edit: I'm getting no results for the 4017 from peats.ie or maplin.co.uk? Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=2972&type=6&path=13x162x356

All ICs in the range are listed as one product - thats why they don't show up in a search.
    Here's a spec sheet for it if you're interested:
    http://www.national.com/ds/CD/CD4017BC.pdf

I wouldn't drive more than about 100mA directly from the IC without a transistor or a small relay. That should drive 2 LEDs no problem!

If the PIN config of the optocoupler isn't obvious, try asking in the shop as you're buying.

• Advertisement

Brillant. Thanks for that. I'll get the parts next tuesday hopefully. We'll see how it all fits together then.

icon_arrow.gif

Actually, for reference, i see peats have a 4n32, which i know will work as a replacment for the TIL198.
    Anyway Peats 4n32.

Dragging up an old thread here, but actually got it finished.

wheelpic.JPG
    Click pic for link to video. 1.1mb xvid.

any questions ask away.

Oh yeah, the 5mm LED in the middle is disabled at the minute until i get a replacement for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

wow thats a nice mod and it gives me idea do something for my pc. nice 1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is it hard to do??? I've never don anything like that before but would sure as hell like one... How much would u charge to make me one?

• Advertisement

Really its not to hard to do. I hhad no expierence on IC's before. The hardest part of it all was getting all the parts. Peats f*ucked me about so much. They gave me the wrong resistor 3 times, and i only realised when i got home. Maplin have it all i'd imagine.
    What you need is:
    4n25
    leds, resistors, wires and a 1uf capacitor.
    the resistors depend on what leds you use.
    If you read the forum over on the metku site you'll learn a lot.
    http://metku.net/hwforum/viewforum.php?f=7
    Its not to hard to make.
    Anyway if you have any questions about any aspects of it, ask away.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

that's pretty cool alright - glad you got it working - i might be getting more blue leds if anyone wants any - got plenty of uv leds atm :D~

I might get sopme off you in the future, but i have to get the real stuff done first. Want a new mobo/gpu/psu/cpu/ram/hdd setup. Don't you just love TLA's? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

you can get ALL the parts in Peats

Advertisement