Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presidential Election

Options
  • 23-05-2004 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Well it looks like we're gonna be dragged out to the polls for the second time this year around September, cos it seems that Labour's Michael D.Higgins is going to stand. FG seems unkeen on such an election. What do you all think?

If Mary stands against Michael D.Higgins who would you vote for? I consider myself a liberal on social issues but on the right on economic issues and I consider relations with the US to be important, even when we disagree with them emotionally I feel that our politicians need to thead carefully so as not to offend the US, given that 20% of our exports go there. Mary McAleese has shown herself capable of threading this line and of reaching out to NI Unionists so that we seem less threatening to them.

I feel that a President Higgins would court controversy in this area. Whether you agree or disagree with the war isn't really the issue. In trade negotiations with China, European and even the US are reluctant to criticise China for economic reasons. Sometimes you have to put national interests first.

And anyway, a President is supposed to behave impartially from a political point of view. Given Michael's tendency towards outspokeness I am unsure if he could abide by this.

What do you all think?

Who would you vote for in a Presidential election where only these 2 are standing? 14 votes

Mary McAleese
    0% 0 votes
    Michael D.Higgins
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by daveirl
    Fine Gael would run a candidate and hopefully it would be someone better than those two. There's been quality that they've gotten rid of over the years that would make a good President.

Fine Gael said they would support the President if she ran again:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by daveirl
    I think that was if no one else ran. i.e. The would oppose her if there wasn't going to be an election. If Higgins runs they won't support the Fianna Fáil candidate. They'll run their own.

Ah it was actually if she nominates herself i.e. run as a non-party candidate
    Expressing respect for President McAleese, Mr Kenny said: "If she does decide to nominate herself, as is her right, as a non-party candidate, I would certainly give serious consideration that the Fine Gael party should decide not to oppose her," he said.

"I just think that if President McAleese does decide to nominate herself she has done a very good job for the country and in those set of circumstances I would certainly go back to the parliamentary party and say: 'This has changed the usual business'

From http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2004/0103/4222673749HM1KENNY.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Personally, if she was a non-party candiate I'd vote for her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Why has Sinn Féin never in my recollection put up a candidate for this office?
    I'd have thought, the position of President of the Republic would be a position that they would be honoured to have one of their candidates fill??
    Anybody know if they will??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

Personally I think Michael D. would make a good President.
    7 years is enough for anybody IMO. I wouldn't mind another referendum to prohibit 2 terms or as an alternative have 2 4-year terms. The current and previous incumbents have done an excellent job but I think the time has come for somebody who has not been a TCD Law Professor to take the reins.

Advertisement