Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom wireless

Options
  • 23-05-2004 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone know when eircom wireless is being release an where what towns will have it.Can nyone give me info,and is it good for gaming:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,368 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

sorry for the mistakes mn i need to learn to type but anyway doesbody know anything about eircom wireless when is i coming,good for gaming ,what towns are getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They have been using it for ages to provide POTS (Plain old telephone system) if you are out of reach of copper wires, poles etc.

Their system can do "ISDN" type service and "Broadband" type services but up till now that has almost been a secret.

I asked if I could have Wireless as my analog Internet mostly does not work and though only 900m from Digital exchange they can't provide ISDN or BB. They said that NO as the house is perfectly served by local exchange and copper wire pair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It has been a massive secret. Comreg have not required Eircom to publish coverage maps for example and refuse to provide them under FoI as well......even if the FoI is intended to monitor Comreg' OWN Monitoring of Eircoms licence compliance and not the coverage per se .

Nor have Comreg ever explained why Eircom could offer POTS and ISDN substitute access channels while disregarding their licence obligation to offer Leased Line substitutes and a 384k minimum DSL type product from the same sites.

Nor have Comreg explained to anybody why Eirocm would be offering POTS over 3.5Ghz when they have not one but TWO bands around 2.3Ghz spectrum , one for WLL (Wireless Local Loop) and another called the RURTEL band . Both of these Bands are for POTS substitutes and Basic Rate ISDN substitutes.

Nor have Comreg included the sites where the 3.5Ghz kit is deployed in its Non Ionising Radiation surveys .

A fine Regulatory mess they have gotten themselves into over Spectrum Licencing and commensurate Service Obligations. It is almost as bad as the USO issue....or worse in some aspects.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

word has it that they have 3.5GHZ up & running in Limerick, with at least 10 subscribers -

however....

there is nothing on their website about it - anywhere

heaven forbid that anyone might be able to order it or get any info on it... then they might have to get off their hairy holes and provide a much needed service to the poor boggers around here - idiots

g

The Product does not have a Marketing Name Yet ,

EG: "Eircom DSL For the Bewilthered. "

......So most of them have not been trained up on it at all.

Its a matter of ring the Local (Regional) HQ and Escalate with them .

1890 671444 should get you your local lot. Limerick for 06 numbers, Cork for 02 Numbers , Sligo for 07 numbers and so on. Expect lots of gob****ery and denials from certain area HQ's while others will be no problem at all . Could someone test that number in Limerick where they should be able to get you thru to the right person who may know who their equivalents are in other regions ?

M

• Advertisement

hey muck can you tell me what you are saying because i dont understand it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

This came up a few weeks ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156964

In fact eircom are currently flogging a product called "eircom wireless" which is a wireless modem for the home or office which you can connect to their wire dependant infrastructure. :rolleyes:

This satelite thingy was supposed to come out sometime in the summer but I have no uptodate info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Two seperate things vinnyfitz. This is totally seperate.

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Two seperate things vinnyfitz. This is totally seperate.

Yes you and I know that. Its eircom who are confusing things.

Snoopdog asked about eircom wireless but for the company itself "eircom wireless" only means a product they are selling comprising wireless modems for the home.

Their satelite product - discussed in the thread I linked to has not been launched or named as far as I know.
    Or is that not what snoopdog is asking about either ?

:dunno:

Originally posted by vinnyfitz

Their satelite product - discussed in the thread I linked to has not been launched or named as far as I know.
    Or is that not what snoopdog is asking about either ?

Let me try to Help here.

a) On the Eircom website they mention a wireless product . This works 2 ways.

1. A Wireless Router in the home or
    2. A package for hotels where they buy a hotspot in a box as it were.

Both run on 2.4Ghz WiFi equipment which is cheap anywhere but from Eircom

b) Vinny mentioned an imminent VSAT one way satellite product due in the next 2 months (probably a one way sat with the data coming IN off Astra ) and a phone line to connect OUT . This does not yet exist but similar products do.

c) A third product which DOES exist in certain areas (Can You SEE a BIG red/white Eircom tower from your house for starters ) . It runs on 3.5Ghz licenced spectrum and not 2.4Ghz unlicenced spectrum. It is not called Eircom Wireless as in example A. It has no marketing name yet so I am calling it Eircom DSL For The Bewilthered in the interim. It will be heavier duty than A and Cheaper and Faster than B as it is licenced. The Uplink is fairly mangy though, 64k only . It exists in Limerick at present as per the thread linkled above and elsewhere too if they will sell an Undefined product .

HTH

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Muck
    b) Vinny mentioned an imminent VSAT one way satellite product due in the next 2 months (probably a one way sat with the data coming IN off Astra ) and a phone line to connect OUT . This does not yet exist but similar products do.

When I talked to the engineer who picked up my MediaSat 2-way satellite modem, he told me they have teamed up with Eircom, and Eircom are gearing up for satellite now. Almost sounded like they had been taken over by Eircom. In real terms, no matter what the exact details are, Eircom plans to do something with satellite is what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Ok - this is all v. interesting - me being a person who lives in a very populated area of Dublin and cant get DSL currently due to a "kink" in my line or so Im told by Eircom. (not that theyre gonna fix it either - big surprise....!) Even though my neighbours could get it if they want!!!

So im now left with no choice but to go down the wireless route therefore I wanna know how will this Eircom option fare against any of the current wireless options? And who is the best to go for? As we all are aware of Eircoms track record....

Dublin is pretty well served with Wireless ISP's . Start with Leap who are by far the most reputable . If they cannot sort ya out then they will honestly tell you what your options are ...based on where you live .

The Eircom thingy is of more interest in Rural areas or at the edge of the DSL network radiating from towns.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Thx!

that what im talking about wireless isps in tipperary help

Thursday 27th Irish Times:

Eircom's offer extends coverage for broadband

Eircom says it can now offer broadband anywhere in the State, following the launch of a new satellite-based service.

The range includes products for both home- and business users, starting at a monthly rental of €39.99. Eircom is linking with Mediasatellite Ireland, a Cork company, to provide the new service.

The move is aimed at approximately 200,000 customers who do not have access to the main DSL broadband service. It follows a promotion announced by Eircom earlier this week to encourage the take-up of its traditional broadband products and a cut in the price of the fees it charges rivals to offer a repackaged version of its broadband service. UTV Internet and Esat BT are also offering promotions.

Satellite broadband will suit customers who are currently unable to avail of DSL broadband, according to Mr David McRedmond, Eircom's commercial director.

These would mainly be people who are in remote areas or are too far from a local exchange.

Eircom is offering a range of three satellite-based products to home users. While monthly rental starts at €30, the customer also needs a flat-rate internet access product from Eircom, costing between €9.99 and €29.99 per month. The connection fee for home users for the satellite service is €423, which covers the installation of a dish.

There are six products in the range for business customers. Monthly rental starts at €127.03. The connection fee for business starts at between €1,892 and goes as high as €8,108 for the most advanced service aimed at larger users. Download speeds vary from 512k to 4 megabits, depending on which service is used and upload speeds are from 128k to 1 megabit.

Mediasatellite Ireland, Eircom's partner in the venture, was established in January 1999 and has a supply agreement with Astra to supply it with satellite bandwidth and broadband interactive services.

© The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

dont go confusing the guy vinnyfitz...

what you just quoted is absolutely useless for gaming, which he said he was big into

snoop: the latency with a satellite solution like that would be too great and would be worse than a 56k modem

Advertisement