Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom netopia installation failure

• 23-05-2004 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

I have a Dell Pentium 2, mhz 233. (1997)
    Win 98 SE (upgraded over the years from Win 95).
    Trying to install broadband in my study (not main outlet)
    Thats the good news. Enthuasism triumphs over sanity.
    Difficult to install software had to disable all other running programs.
    On finally installing the software, instruction to restart the computer to complete installation.
    Ok so far, browser comes up, tries to connect with an URL which I take to be a virtual site ( the modem, I suppose) for redirecting me towards the eircom registration page.
    I cannot get that URL to open.
    I have tried typing it in manually, I have uninstalled, cold booted, put everything back in the box and set it up again several times without success.
    I have also found that my aging OS is not taking too kindly to all this, e.g. I can no longer save my password on Dial-Up Networking on the old 56K system. More will appear in time, no doubt.
    I would appeal to anyone who can give me a few pointers in either of the official languages to post a reply.
    Whether I should abandon ship and save up for a new computer should also be considered.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unkle

Have you set up your Netopia Modem through USB?

If yes try the following.

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Internet Options

Under The Connections Tab Select "Never dial a connection"
    Under LAN Settings of the Connection Tab make sure that "Automatically detect settings" is the only box checked.
    Click Apply then Ok.

Open Internet Explorer and make sure that you are not working offline.
    To check this once internet explorer is open Click File (top left hand corner) and make sure that there is no check mark beside Work Offline.

Once there is no check beside Work Offline close Internet Explorer.

Click Start->Run

In the Run box type: http://192.168.1.254 and then click ok.

This should bring up the page you are trying to access.

Also be patient if it just gives you a white screen and egg-timer it may take a minute to come up.

If you still receive "Page cannot be displayed" message:
    Do you have Norton Security Installed/Firewall Software?
    If yes then disable/uninstall said and see if you can access http://192.168.1.254

Some other useful information re: configuring TCP/IP Should you need it.

IP address: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    Primary DNS: 159.134.237.6
    Secondary DNS: 159.134.248.17

Let me know if this sorts out your problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

it might be worth getting a ethernet card for about 15 euro if you have a free pci slot
    it should be a good bit faster than usb on an old pc like that

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Unkle,

I am mortified to report that despite the clarity and depth of your suggestions, i still cannot get that URL to open.
    I tried the LAN with and without that box checked, conflicting advice from elsewhere.
    I have a Zone Alarm pro firewall and norton antivirus both of which i tried enabled and disabled.
    I even picked up the courage to go into network and got going on the properties of the TCP/IP associated withthe Modem.
    Again I tried with and without "automatically detecting " IP, left it on with your IP addresses.
    Its beginning to look as though I will have to take tuxx's suggestion and go and get myself an ethernet card tomorrow.

Toxx,

I would think that I have as much chance of getting an Ethernet card in Tralee for €15.00 as I would of getting a pint for less than €3.00 in Dubbling town.
    I'll let you know how i get on. Still better than giving €130.00 odd to some technician from Eircom who would probably confirm my worst fears.

Slán tamall.

Well Unkle and Toxx,

Got an Ethernet card today,new one.
    Went through the same rigmarole,
    Same result could not contact that blessed URL
    Got on to an 1530 number, at least it wasn't a 1550.
    Went through unkle's things,
    got rid of some stuff in the Network folder.
    Uninstalled my Zone Labs Firewall, no disk.
    Same result!!!
    Into telnet where it would appear we kicked that modem's ass until it allowed us in.
    So now i have broadband, but at speeds of 65 to 70 i am not exactly being blown away.
    next job might be to convert the extension into where I keep the computer into the main outlet.
    Is that possible or necessary, I don't want to spend the rest of my days surfing just inside the front door.

Thanks for your help.

In the amazing situation, whereby, though apparently connected to broadband, (if you can call speeds of 60 to 70 K broadband), I still cannot access 192.168.1.254
    I thought it might help me figure the reasons for this slow speed. Certainly doesn't appear to warrant the setting up expense.
    My antispyware program has been trotted out as a possible reason, as has my (disabled) Zone Alarm pro firewall.
    Full format and reinstallation has been recommended, i think not.
    Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

have you set your pc to obtain ip and dns automaticly?
    what ip address did the router give your pc localy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unkle

Re-install internet explorer.

Reset Zone Alarm to it's default settings or uninstall it, you can always re-install it at a later date

Under Internet Options of Internet Explorer do the following:
    Under the security tab Reset Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites and Restricted Sites to "default level".
    Under the advanced tab click on "restore defaults"
    Click Apply then Ok

Because you no longer have the modem connected through USB un-install the modem drivers from your system.

Disconnect and re-connect the ethernet connection both at the modem and at your new network card then power the modem off and back on.

Set your network settings to those from my previous post and try again.

There may be a reset button on the modem if worst comes to worst.

Remember if you do reset the modem it will erase your current username/password from memory and you will have to enter it again through telnet should you still not be able to access the http://192.168.1.254 page.

Also always try and access http://192.168.1.254 from the Run box and not internet explorer directly.

getting conflicting advice re IP address etc. being automatic or not. Does not seem to make a lot of difference.
    plan,1. hope to get an IE disc from a magazine tomorrow for an uninstall and reinstall.
    2. I hope to get an expert in to look at my phone line setup.
    3. I have the same problem with Netscape and Opera, would that make it unlikely that IE is at fault.
    if there is a software problem, i reckon my OS might be showing its age, but a format and reinstall, seems too heavy a job for me.
    4. Connection speeds as measured by Real player, are all over the place, with very little difference apparent on browsing. Can be as low as 56k modem th cable/DSL 300+.Can one believe any of them?
    Will keep you updated.
    5. Excerpt from Manual Advanced trouble shooting.
    If pointing the browser at http://192.168.1.254 does not male the Web UI appear, do a release and renew in windows networking to see what the Gateway address really is. Can anyone English that for me?

Advertisement