Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Simple wireless network?

Options
  • 23-05-2004 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

K all I need is a connection from my house to my mates which is about 50m away.

I have discussed this in the other board(technology) as I didnt know this one existed :(. Anyway after listening to their opinions I have decieded to go with 802.11G to hook up the two computers.

Now I need to know what is the best way to go about it?? Can I just buy to network cards like this one ( http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107947 )

or do I also need an access point or something?? All I want is a straight connection between the two pcs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you should be able to set up an ad-hoc network with just 2 of those, yes. but if there isn't a clear line of site (i.e. lots of walls between you) you might need to get an external antenna to give you that little extra signal quality.

if you were in the same house then yes, it would definately work, but depending on the obstructions you may have some trouble (possibly), but if all seems clear you should be fine.

only thing to do really is to give it a go and se what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

Between the two houses is one wall each ( so a total of 2 walls as each of your bedrooms are adjacent and we got our pcs in our rooms)

There may be a few leaves in between also :D

K well then I may travel into itdirect someday this week and pick up two of those cards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I answered this q for someone else jus' a second ago:
    It's here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Security wise those cards are reasonably weak though. It uses WEP whereas WPA is a lot stronger (also it mentions auto assigning WEP keys which to me seems to bypass the whole idea of having a private key in the first place?). The chances of someone else connecting up to your network are slim but if you both Have WinXp Sp1 I'd go for a WPA enabled card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

It might be a good idea to get USB or ethernet wireless clients. They plug into USB or ethernet ports (duh) and you'll be able to leave the adapter a bit of a distance away from the PC, say on the window sill for instance. The ethernet ones are a good bit more expensive than the USB so unless you can think of a reason to get them don't bother.

The 3com keyring style USB ones aren't any good obviously but the others seem to be attached with a flex of cable (check distance, you could buy an after market cable, USB can travel up to 30m (a figure I semi recall, semi made up)).

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/products.asp?pm=4502

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

Superman I checked your reply. Those seem perfect, but in the diagram it says once your over 0m you only get 1mb/s :s is that right? should it be at least 20 as its 802.11G

That seem quite good tho and I could put the antenna on the window sill so should be smoking within the next 2 weeks. nice one.

K here I go. here is a pic to help you understand!
    http://server5.uploadit.org/files/smellyirishman-Wireless.JPG

Now point 1: will I be able to access both of his pc on his network even tho he will only have one joined up with mine via wireless, and will all 4 pcs be able to play games against each other??

point 2. If I join up with my 3rd mate but he is out of range of the first mate. will that be ok like will he be able to go "through" me and connect up with the first mate across the road?? ( notice the broken red line signifying a not so good connection)

I can do a more detailed pic if needed!

Advertisement