Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXP setup error

Options
  • 23-05-2004 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Sys.dll: Syntax error in manifest or policy file ~C:\win_NT$#LS\i386\asms\6000\msftVCRTL.man on line 17

This happening right after setup copies files and reboots ,windows loads the "will complete" in 37 minutes is on screen.
    Setup continues in background with this error on screen if he clicks ok pc reboots, this tie he letting setup run in background and see if we can get it running in safe mode.

Ah but not as simple as you would think 1st never seen that error and its laptop with no Cd rom running setup from dos with a USB cdrom. Also the pc is denmark with a noob (poor bastard he only have it a few weeks)
    And i heling by phone and text.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I found a page with a ton of suggestions for this type of error, VCRTL.man is mentioned aswell.
    The general consensus seems to suggest copying all setup files from the CD to your harddrive and running winnt.exe from there (along with some method of replacing the corrupt .man file).
    There are a few different ways people have solved it, but suceess varies:
    http://www.lecour.net/richard/archives/000050.html
    ^It's a long read, but I'd say there's a good chance one of them will work.
    Although if you have the power to do so, sending the man out a new XP cd could do the job by the looks of things.

I don't envy you having to remotely support someone with this problem :(
    Nightmare call imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I sent him 2 already 1st one was killed in the post, these original discs dont ahve anymore to send him :(

Thanks will have a look there see whats easiest, although now the drive is NTFS Fdisk wont let him reformat it to try again.

kdjac

Originally posted by KdjaC
    although now the drive is NTFS Fdisk wont let him reformat it to try again.
    NTFS shouldn't be a barrier to fdisk.
    An NTFS volume may show up as a "Non-DOS Partition" in fdisk, but it's still removable.
    You should check out option 4 from the main fdisk menu, which (iirc) is 'view partition information'.
    Then you can create a normal primary partition which will format as FAT32 (as long as you've chosen to 'enable large disk support' when fdisk starts - otherwise it's FAT16).
    Then format as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yah it wont let him create a dos partition or remove a dos partition and doesnt show with a drive letter in fdisk ,but when he boots from HD setup starts gets to the 37 minutes left part then up pops the error.

kdjac

That's what I mean though, it won't show up as a dos partition... you'll have to go to [option 3] delete partition, then from the next menu [option 4] delete non-dos partition.
    As you'll have to remove the existing ntfs partition before it'll let you create any more, since the ntfs partition is probably using all available space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement