Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Questions

• 23-05-2004 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

trying to setup wireless connection to a friends house
    The house is 103 metres away as the crow flies so might be a little out of range !!

Any info on different types of wirless products available that would be suitable !!

its from my window through an Attic Across the road then straight to his window ??

Any help what so ever would be grateful !

Cheers App

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

well,

just get too good wireless G network cards, I suggest the buffalo (NW-002-BF) , it cost's about 75-80 euro.

100 metres is grand once you got a pretty clear line of sight (LOS) and the antenna with that card is quite good.

From buffalo website:
    wle-ndr_graph.gif

once you get each card,and install them, put in antenna, and bada bing! its just a few settings in windows

PM me if you need help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you're concerned about getting the best possible speed then you might want to think about a decent directional antenna. you can make one for about 5 quid out of a pringles can (or other similar sized cans (anything from dog food cans to tennis ball tubes) or if you want to do it properly then I'd recommend one of the Yagi directional antenna's like this one at each end. mount them with a clear LOS and point them at each other and you'll get excellent reception.

not that expensive if you want a good solution, but many people will tell you you can get just as good results from one of the 5 quid home made jobs, it just depends on what you're willing to accpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

thanks for that vibe..

Maplin have a 500 mtr setup a friend was telling me im gonna get there catologue soon and try ring etc..
    Wondering now do they do a 7 day return policy !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

a couple of megabits is grand even if you are sharing broad band,
    but keep me posted on the news with those aeriels they might be handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by The Apprentice
    thanks for that vibe..

Maplin have a 500 mtr setup a friend was telling me im gonna get there catologue soon and try ring etc..
    Wondering now do they do a 7 day return policy !!
    no probs, but a word of warning, if you're thinking about going to maplin you might want to bend over and grease up first, you're going to get shafted!

i went in there one day to get a usb to infra red adapter and it was 35 quid. decided to look around and come back (this was on friday) i went back on sunday and they were shut for a stock take, so i went back again on monday and was told the price was 70 euro. i said, 'but it was 35 last week' to which i was told there was nothing he could do. i had a look around and they had the exact same one on the shelf still labelled at 35 euro. i pointed it out and said that was what i wanted at their advertised price and he went to see the manager to ask.

he came back down 5 minutes later said sorry and took it out of the cabinet and said i could still have it for 70 if i wanted.

i told him i wanted to speak to the manager so he went upstairs and came back a couple of minutes later and apologised again and told me the manager refused to see me.

i told him i'd be making a complaint and when i got home i reported them to the uk office who according to the website dealt with complaints. i got a mail back saying they didn't deal with ireland and that i'd have to contact the store in question, etc etc.

i got nowhere as you can see. check out their prices and you'll find they are all significantly higher than rrp in most cases. they were charging 4.50 for a molex connector double adapter which is probably worth 50c if that.

and about 20 quid for ide cables. mad prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

thanks for that vibe..
    will keep it in mind.. might get some good information off of them lol and then push on somewhere else to purchase :)

Cheesr Appy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Ill 2nd that about Malpin, heavily over priced. BTW u should complain to the managment of Blanch (if thats where it was) about them.

Bit OT

Peats can be just as bad iv seen stuff up to double what they should be:

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=6706&type=6&path=14x120x4804

http://www.microaid.ie/cgi-bin/sh012345.pl?ACTINIC_REFERRER=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2emicroaid%2eie%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2emicroaid%2eie%2facatalog%2fOnline_Catalogue_3Com_1%2ehtml&WD=wet&SHOP=%20&PREVQUERY=SS%3dwet%26PR%3d%2d1%26TB%3dA%26SHOP%3d%20&PN=Online_Catalogue_Bridge_3117%2ehtml%23a878676#a878676

I rang them once asking for the above device and they said they had it in stock. Drove all the way in to town through terrible trafic got in to the shop talked to the guy I rang and he told me sorry they are out of stock for thr last week or more....

**** heads....

Back on topic. Iv used 2 of those WET11's in ad-hoc mode to bridge a gap of more then 500 meters using 2 15dbi plannar antennas. Works fine. We have links here in the South East WAN going 40-50k using off the shelf gear.

Advertisement