Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Government Reduce Your Waste Bull****e

• 23-05-2004 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

rant begins/
    Does anybody else get pissed off when they see these reduce your waste ads on the tv? Im all for it,its more the government hypocracy that gets me. Its to do with junk mail/crap that falls out of your newspaper etc.
    If the government want to reduce the amount of waste piling up in landfills maybe they could take steps to outlaw this unwanted sh1te. Every single time I open the paper I get 3 or 4 leaflets from skydigital and MBNA falling out of the inside. We have ****in mountains of the sh1te. Id be happy to recycle it,except there doesnt seem to be a paper and plastic recycling unit round here bar at the dump,which is only open when anyone who could take it is working. And now that we are charged for bin bags at exorbitant rates by the council,its creating some unwanted space. If I could i would collect every MBNA leaflet I get over the course of a year(it would be at least 800 i should think)and post them back to them individually,see how they like it the Leitrim bog gobsh1tes /me ignores the fact my grandfather was born there whilst making this anti culchie remark

And on a semi related topic some gob****e decided it was good to individually wrap each of the 20 cases of blank cds in plastic. INDIVIDUALLY! What the fcuk?
    rant ends/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

kkeyes.gif
    it's fair game in a free society to post that ****... they should be forced to recycle % of it agreed. But the governments fault...? uh... well, maybe - if you gave about the pages they send with their ugly mugs on 'em...

The CDs-although annoying-it ensures they're in perfect condition...

Loon. kkeyes.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

use the freepost envelopes that the likes of MBNA usually provide to post their crap back to them. Or better still, post junk mail from some other company back to them :)
    use of the freepost envelopes costs them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I usually shake out the Dell supplement as I call it out of my paper onto the shop floor before I buy it. And from the amount of them you see on the floor at the newspaper shelf I'm not the only one who does it. Hopefull the retailers will eventually get fed up picking them up and put a stop to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Like Stephen said, post MBNA's junk mail back to them in the freepost envelope.

Or do what I do. Take MBNA freepost envelope, insert Readers Digest junk and a wrapper from a packet of rashers. Place in postbox. Take Readers Digest freepost envelope, insert Dell junk and a few potato peels. Place in postbox. COntinue at will.

Very important to insert food items. I'd put in some anthrax but I ran out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

it's annoying as hell all the stuff in newspapers and magazines now but having said I'm buying newspapers when maybe I should use an electronic version and not cause the waste in the first place but that's another debate.

One thing I've been wondering about is "WHERE DO ALL THE OLD ARGOS CATALOGUES GO".... Have people ever seen the pallet loads of them delivered ? Has anyone ever seen any encouragement by Argos to have them recycled. Chances are maybe they can't due to the paper / ink on the page but it's such a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Originally posted by Redshift
    I usually shake out the Dell supplement as I call it out of my paper onto the shop floor before I buy it. And from the amount of them you see on the floor at the newspaper shelf I'm not the only one who does it. Hopefull the retailers will eventually get fed up picking them up and put a stop to it.

OH I hate people like you.... a pack of ****'s.

Who do you tihnk has to clean up after you?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by Lump
    OH I hate people like you.... a pack of ****'s.

Who do you tihnk has to clean up after you?

John

I know who has to clean it up but the distributer or who ever puts this unwanted rubbish in newspapers isn't going to listen to me they might however listen to you.
    I don't know why they can't just make it an add in the newspaper it'self. While I know you get frustrated with people like me I also get frustrated when i'm walking down the road and the blasted thing falls out and I have to chase it or risk being done for littering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Originally posted by Redshift
    I know who has to clean it up but the distributer or who ever puts this unwanted rubbish in newspapers isn't going to listen to me they might however listen to you.

i work part time in a shop and tonight is a perfect example of the amount of crap that falls out of them papers. sundays are ridiculous for papers. theres just SO many and its the lowly shop workers who have to pick up teh extra crap. i dont think that the powers that be in newpaper land would listen to us.....christ, the lads delivering the papers dont even listen to us when we say "we are not spar.....we are texaco!!"

would love to see an end to it though!

Well in the Statoil I work in when I'm in Ireland, we get 300 independents, 200 Sunday times (Each paper has 4 suppliments to be put in by hand by the person working), 200 Ireland on sunday, 200 sunday world (each with a mag, that has to be put in by hand), etc etc etc.... we get around 2000 papers, and it really annoys me when the paper men decide to block the entrance door up with papers, meaning I have to move them all (without setting off the alarm) before I can get into the shutter lock. Then I find out that they haven't tied up a load of the bundles. Paper delivery men are ignorant **** TBH

Rant over.

John

i totally agree. but even worse is the bastárds that wait outside at 6:30 in the morning to get the Sun or some other piece of shít rag and stand over you while you search through all the piles. also hate the stingy bastárds that steal a magazine out of a different paper just cos it has a free CD, Spend the e1.80 ya tight fisted git! save me a lot of ear-ache throughout the day.

anyway, back on topic after rant........there should be some laws about the amount of paper being used for suppliments and advertisements in the newspapers. its a disgrace and the government should step up and do something. cant see it happening myself. :mad:

• Advertisement

There is, Suppliers can no longer send out a fúck load of papers because they have a cd on them and they expect increased sales. They have to keep returns to a minimum. TBH on a sunday out of the 2000 odd papers we get, we'd bin about 400

John

Originally posted by Lump
    TBH on a sunday out of the 2000 odd papers we get, we'd bin about 400

yea thats pretty much the same as us.

the amount of times i've been scanning a newspaper and the little crappy bits fall out and the person says "ah sure just bin it, dont want that shíte" its unreal.
    even if they do have some lasw in place they should probably take anotehr look at the situation. like the Gopher said, theres definately hypocricy going on there.
    i'd love to know how much of their campaign fliers and posters are going to be recycled???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

If you want to reduce the amount of direct mail posted to you, complete the Mail Preference Service form and send it off to An Post to opt-out of direct mailings from IDMA members. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it does help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Regarding RSVP junk mail if you simply post the empty envelope back to the company they'll have to pay approx 10c for the privilage and as a bonus it'll cut down on your waste disposal at the same time. Better still FILL the envelope with the other junk mail and THEN post it ALL back like was suggested previously. Think how good it'll make you feel having these companies actually paying for your refuge.

On a slightly related topic I'm pissed off with Green party MEP Patricia McKenna sending FIVE seperate paper voting ads to my house when one would have done. And they call themselves enviormentalists!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Better still FILL the envelope with the other junk mail and THEN post it ALL back.

Even better yet, fill the envelope with 33c worth of copper pennies, they'll pay even more due to the weight. If they ring you up about it, demand your 33c back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by Jam
    Even better yet, fill the envelope with 33c worth of copper pennies, they'll pay even more due to the weight. If they ring you up about it, demand your 33c back.
    Like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

The government are absolute hypocrits when it come to waste management. They have all these adds saying reduce your waste. yet they want us to create as much waste as possible in so we can give the charges to some private company to make a profit out of it. Theres even talk of building incinerators which is a disgrace the burning of plastics on a large scale will only damage the environment.

The ideal solution would be to make recycling free of charge. Charge waste by weight rather than making people pay a set fee this will give them an incentive to recycle more as it will save them money.Companies should be penalised for using too much plastic packaging thus giving them an incentive to package their products in eco friendly packaging such as paper and glass which can be recycled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    The government are absolute hypocrits when it come to waste management. They have all these adds saying reduce your waste. yet they want us to create as much waste as possible in so we can give the charges to some private company to make a profit out of it. Theres even talk of building incinerators which is a disgrace the burning of plastics on a large scale will only damage the environment.

The ideal solution would be to make recycling free of charge. Charge waste by weight rather than making people pay a set fee this will give them an incentive to recycle more as it will save them money.Companies should be penalised for using too much plastic packaging thus giving them an incentive to package their products in eco friendly packaging such as paper and glass which can be recycled.

Couldn't agree more but I think pay by weight is one the way. Recycling isn't made easy in this country. every household have their recycled matter collected in the same way as bins are collected at the moment. Not everyone has a car that can bring them to a recycle point and a taxi isn't an option either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Recycling is not the answer. Recycling is the last resort. We seriously need to reduce & re-use before we think about recycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    The ideal solution would be to make recycling free of charge.
    No - they other way around. Providing a free service simply invites overuse and abuse. While companies have reached their interim recycling targets, they have done this by increasing the overall amount of packaging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement