Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to buy ?

Options
  • 23-05-2004 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Howdy, im currently looking for a new phone but dont know where to start.
    I've been looking around o2 and vodaphone shops but most of the decent phones are pay monthly and way way over priced

ideally im looking for these features :

mp3 player
    colour screen
    clam shell design (preferably)
    camera (maybe)
    under €300 (preferably under €200)

any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Don't want much for your 200 quid pay as you go do you?

1: Only the most expensive phones have mp3 so forget that. In any case its a fat battery drain - get a dedicated player.

2: Pay as you go is always more expensive - unless you're a student you should be on a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

on Voda contract the Sharp-GX30 is Eur 300 so touching that budget but it meets all your wishes however you get a tiny 8MB card so you'd need to shell out for a larger one... or you could try a Sony Ericsson Z600 is Eur 150 has everything bar the MP3 but you could look into trying one of the original Ericsson clip-on MP3 players but the clip on mightn't suit you... ask around the likes of esato.com for compatibility with the Z600 and a larger MMC card (as it only comes with a 32MB one) - i've used it with 128MB card on a T68i and T610 and it wasn't a heavy battery drain

unfortunately the Z600 + Sony Ericsson MP3/BT headset HBM-30 would break your budget at the moment...

for non-clam shell (no camera either) and an odd shape and talking position ;) - how about an N-Gage on Ready To Go for around Eur 100, Meteor have it too but at around Eur 300 (but a load of credit)

O2 have a 3300 on SpeakEasy again not a clam-shell or camera but meets the others, not price on their site though...

all the operator's sites list the specs and Voda/Meteor list prices...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭deathcube ^_^

what about ordering from the uk
    i'm willing to get a phone unlocked if needs be

i only get SIM-Free (non-operator) handsets from the UK and they would have a premium price as there would be no operator subsidy - but there are plenty of sites listed through this forum if you search about

getting a pre-pay handset from a UK operator? not something i can give you advice on - best check the UK operator sites for their pre-pay conditions and handsets on offer

what about getting one on eBay? beware and have your wits about you (and even then that's no guarantee)

BrianG

motorola v300 has everything but the mp3 player but does have mp3 ringtones. closest you'll get.

• Advertisement

would still go with the SE Z600 over the Moto V300 if it was a choice between the two - a much nicer/more capable handset and especially with the clip-on MP3 player option which is cheap enough - pity it's not on pre-pay :(

2 words: Vodafone Slime!

I'd have switched operators but for the vodafone branding all over the thing.

yeah you're right the branding is way OTT alright :( - but cheaper than buying it SIM Free...

BrianG

Advertisement