Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

utv still being blocked by tv3!!!

• 23-05-2004 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

Did anyone see the article in the Sunday Times today? It has some guy from UTV saying that it was "disappointed" that it could not join sky digital in the Republic. It said that tv3 is to blame, and is the cause of UTV not being on sky here. It's pretty damning towards tv3. Bloody tv3 - nothing but crap. It rambled on about the fact that utv tried to persuade tv3 that they should enter NI's area on sky & ntl.

I'll post it here tomorrow...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

What section of the Sunday Times is this article in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PK - the king

Page 10 of the Business Section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Its OK PK call off the mob, I'm back
    Look

Tv3 will always block UTV's move onto the Irish Sky EPG:mad: And even tonight Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares is on TV3 So IMO TV3 will either become a region of the Granda Empire or ITV will follow down the road of BBC and go FTA

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    Its OK PK call off the mob, I'm back

I have ammended my signature. :D:D:D

I don't think utv will got free to air. It's not like the bbc. They depend totally on regional variations for regional advertising. If they go fta, the box won't be able to tell which version of itv you are meant to be receiving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by PK - the king
    I have ammended my signature. :D:D:D

but cricket it crap? :confused:

No, I'n not saying cricket as a game is crap. It's pretty crap watching it on TV, but it's by far, much more interesting to actually be there live where it's being played, and it's even better to play it. I'm just warning others ... :ninja:

I don't think utv will got free to air. It's not like the bbc. They depend totally on regional variations for regional advertising. If they go fta, the box won't be able to tell which version of itv you are meant to be receiving.

I don't think it will come onto the Irish EPG it will be like the BBC chanels that you have to go to other chanels and tune them in

yeah but they can't go fta (see my above post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I dont ever want UTV on my television. I have no time for that Northern outfit ever. Any other ITV region except UTV!

Oh Hang on a minute, I receive ITV Meridian. Phew, that was close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If they go fta, the box won't be able to tell which version of itv you are meant to be receiving.

the different BBC1 regions seem to cope well with it, so why wouldn't ITV

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    the different BBC1 regions seem to cope well with it, so why wouldn't ITV

Advertisers wouldn't be too happy if people started watching the wrong region.

Personally, I very seldom watch ITV. I would choose Channel Four over ITV1 any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

yeah but they can't go fta (see my above post)

Yes they can, they can purchase the regional variations system that BBC bought from Sky when they went FTA. It would be the same process.

Whatever happened to the proposed UTV Lite service which would only feature UTV produced programs and not ITV network programs?.
    I wasnt fond of this idea but it would be a start, i cant see what would stop them doing that.

I like the idea UTV have of getting TV3 on NI sky digital, i believe that should be the road map forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

The trouble is that TV3 know they have nothing to offer NI viewers, and know that therefore the commercial gain would be neglibible compared to the commercial loss of UTV being given further coverage in ROI.

The TV3 execs know what they are up to - buy the cheapest TV they can find (read: old series, old movies, and shows already being made by their shareholders), minimise expensive and risky production by avoiding home produced shows (except where absolutely necessary), and expend all energy in to milking the franchise (includes active discouragement of competition wherever possible).

I reckon TV3 should not be re-awarded their licence, but thats maybe moving off-topic here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

TImes article..............

Media News Billboard: TV3 still in the way as UTV reaches for the Sky Digital

THE impasse between UTV and TV3 over the Belfast-based broadcaster’s desire to become part of Sky’s digital offering in the republic continues.
    As first reported in The Sunday Times, UTV is keen to be carried on Sky Digital in the south but is prevented from doing this by Granada Television in Britain, which won’t clear the programme rights for the various ITV programmes, including Coronation Street and Emmerdale. “We understand from Granada that TV3 is opposed to these satellite rights being granted,” UTV said.

TV3, which is 45% owned by Granada, is less than enthusiastic about the prospect of UTV gaining access to the republic’s 318,000 homes with Sky Digital. It also makes no apologies for protecting its programming rights for which it has paid handsomely. UTV’s offer to clear programme rights for TV3 to be carried on all platforms in the north has also cut little ice with the Ballymount-based broadcaster, which sees little dividend from gaining access to the six counties.

The disagreement is good news for NTL, the cable company with a rival digital offering. UTV is one of only a handful of stations that NTL carries on its digital service that is not available on Sky and it has used this advantage as a selling point in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Waterford, where both services are available.

“We have received thousands of enquiries from frustrated viewers in

the south who are disappointed that

they cannot receive UTV on Sky Digital but unfortunately, until these rights issues are resolved, we are being blocked from providing our programmes on Sky,” UTV said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

TV3's whole attitude is stupid. Many people with Sky Digital in Ireland are going to watch ITV1 anyway, via overspill, or a deflector, if not cable or MMDS as well.
    Solution? Get a viewing card from somebody living in the North, and watch RTE1, N2, TV3 and TG4 through your aerial.
    Advertisers wouldn't be too happy if people started watching the wrong region.

They already can. If I had a Sky subscription, I can choose whether I watch ITV1 London, ITV1 Central, Channel TV, or whatever.

Before RTE 2 was introduced, Conor Cruise O'Brien had suggested that RTE broadcast UTV in the republic, instead of introducing a second channel of its own. At least that would have been more honest than TV3 pretending it's really an Irish channel.

CanWest's TV channels are crap wherever you are. TV3 New Zealand makes TV3 Ireland at its worst look watchable. Though in fairness to them, it's Granada/ITV that seem to be the prime culprits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I think CCO'B wanted BBC 1 at the time, but thats by the by.

UTV CANNOT GO FREE TO AIR BECAUSE IT DEPENDS ON REGIONAL ADVERTISING i've said it many times before. They could be accessed, if they wished through the Other Channels menu, and then have the card decrypt services from there.

Andip, I hope you got Copyright permission for Sunday Times to reproduce that article? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

UTV CANNOT GO FREE TO AIR BECAUSE IT DEPENDS ON REGIONAL ADVERTISING

Why not, PK ?

The BBC is free to air but viewers in Northern Ireland get BBC1 Northern Ireland and BBC2 Northern Ireland on 101 and 102 respectively. All ITV has to do is reach a similar agreement with Sky regarding EPG management/placement for the various regions. It's done very simply using postcodes.

• Advertisement

1) ITV depends on Regional Advertising
    2) In order to select your postcode (and therefore your region), you need a smartcard
    3) People who want to receive ITV free are not going to use a smartcard.

The box does not know where it is!!!
    ITV don't want to lose out on regional advertising!!!
    Companies don't want to advertise in one region if people can simply select a different regions!!!
    ITV has different programming rights and lineups in different areas (look at UTV and Thames Television - totally different!!!)

Therefore FTA is simply not feasible!!!

Flawed argument....

They can use the BBC's system of postcodes that Sky developed for them in order to regionalise 101 and 102, in ITV's case, 103. All ITV regions are available via Other Channels already using a UK card. The box is set to where you bought it and originally set it up. ITV schedule is more standardised now, UTV is the only region with major peak time opt outs and when was the last time you saw a really truely regional ad on UTV. People dont easily select other regions, how many people watch BBC 1 Scotland if have BBC 1 NI?

FTA is totally feasable for ITV, you dont have to pay Sky £17 million a year!

Statement from ITV's Duty office

Are you not obliged to be available free-to-view via Sky or satellite?
    ITV1 is obliged to be universally available in analogue. We achieve this using the aerial transmission system. As there are many people now watching their TV via cable and satellite we are also available on these platforms but only for viewers who have a valid card or subscription.

How does this effect the government's plans to provide free-to-air digital services for all?
    If and when the Government switches off terrestrial analogue so that ITV1 is only available in digital format ITV1 will, along with Channel 4, Five and the BBC, be obliged to be universally available in digital to all viewers. We will, of course, make whatever provisions are necessary to guarantee universal access to ITV1 in digital prior to the Government switching off analogue terrestrial.

Why must we remain encrypted? If the BBC can do it, why not ITV?
    ITV1’s current arrangement with BSkyB was negotiated some time ago and runs until the end of 2004. The BBC has been able to do this because its deal has terminated. We will watch carefully the impact of the BBC’s move and consider whether it is an option for us to follow suit next year.

Why will ITV, C4 & C5 not provide cards?
    ITV currently pays millions of pounds a year to be available to satellite viewers. But Sky wanted a lot more money from ITV, C4 and Five to fund access to free-to-view viewers. We have to weigh our desire to be easily available to all in digital format against the financial cost – every penny that comes out of our budgets for carriage is money that can’t be spent on programmes.

I do not have adequate analogue or Freeview coverage, so why am I being penalised?
    You are not being penalised. Unfortunately you are a victim of the fallout from the BBC’s decision to abandon the old system of solus cards. If you can’t receive an analogue terrestrial signal for some reason, you can still receive ITV1, Channel 4 and Five by subscribing to Sky.

Originally posted by TIPPTOP
    Statement from ITV's Duty office

<snip>

Why must we remain encrypted? If the BBC can do it, why not ITV?
    ITV1’s current arrangement with BSkyB was negotiated some time ago and runs until the end of 2004. The BBC has been able to do this because its deal has terminated. We will watch carefully the impact of the BBC’s move and consider whether it is an option for us to follow suit next year.

<snip>

And you can take it as read that ITV wont pay Sky for encryption again!

Good find TIPPTOP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

There is one possible trump card in this.

According to the Observer Greg Dyke is being sounded out as a possible new chief of ITV.

If he gets the job, happy days for FTA ITV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

The fact is, you can watch UTV in London, ITV1 London in Leeds, Grampian in Belfast, because unlike the BBC, which did have significant programme differences between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, when it broadcast encrypted, ITV has comparatively little. The regional boundaries are so haphazardly drawn anyway- Border is based in Carlisle, but Lookaround
    covered southern Scotland, and the Isle of Man.
    (look at UTV and Thames Television - totally different!!!)

It's called ITV London now. Thames ceased broadcasting in 1993, and was replaced by Carlton. The main differences in peak-time programme scheduling are the news at 6.00, regional programmes at 7.30, and then programmes after 11.30.
    It's very VERY important that you do not EVER mention the words "cricket" and "crap" in the same post.

Even more important that you don't mention the words "exciting" and "cricket" in the same post. "Crap cricket" is a tautology, "exciting cricket" is an oxymoron.

Originally posted by Sin e an Fear
    Even more important that you don't mention the words "exciting" and "cricket" in the same post. "Crap cricket" is a tautology, "exciting cricket" is an oxymoron.

Hmmmmmmm. Careful now. On topic please.

There are 2 versions of Border, IIRC its the Scottish Border thats on satellite and not the English.

EDIT: No, wait, both are there.

DMC - can the box actually "remember" where it was set up? I thought it could only select reg. variations if the card was required for the viewing of the channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

As far as I know a box will remember the last card that was in the slot, hence the default EPG no longer appears in boxes which have used an Irish sub card and the old upside down card trick will no longer work.

Just say ITV went free to air;One possible scenario which would arise:

A brand new digibox would be programmed with the London regions,in other words The Default EPG, as is the case now with BBC FTA eg :101 BBC1 London, 102 BBC2 England

Then presumably 103 would show ITV London etc etc. but unless you subscribed to Sky-and had the card appropriate to your postcode, you would have to tune your region from either the bottom of the EPG if the regions were listed like the BBC are now, or via other channels.

So therefore, a brand new box purchased would never show the appropriate region, unless a card had been inserted at some stage......

• Advertisement

PK, you are so wrong about this UTV cant launch because they depend on regional advertising, explain what you mean.

There is nothing to stop them creating a UTV Eire feed if needs be and this will not affect the UTV that broadcasts regional advertising.

Even if they dont, how will coming on the Irish epg affect their precious regional advertising.

Oh and btw, writing the same statement over and over in giant CAPS without explaining what you mean is pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

By creating a UTV Eire feed they are effectively creating a new TV station for the Irish market. Unless they purchase the rights for the programming that they show in the NI franchise for the Irish market then there is going to be damn all on the UTV Eire feed apart from their adverts, local news and programming and, of course, Julian.

They have three options: Buy TV3, outbid TV3 or stay of Sky Digital in the RoI. As stated many times before, UTV don't own the rights to the majority of their content for the RoI. It is simply incorrect to say that TV3 are blocking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Well if UTV don't own the rights for the RoI then how are they allowed to broadcast on cable?

Do you mean the satellite rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

I think he's talking about satelite rights.
    The sooner the E.U do something about this silly situation the better.
    Imagine the nonsense whereby 100's of thousands can watch utv programmes on cable and not sattelite.
    Whats the difference between the rights of cabled homes in the Republic of Ireland and satelite homes in the same country.
    It's just anti-competitive behaviour in it's worst form on the part of TV3.
    It's incorrect to say that they are not blocking UTV on satelite as they are not bringing NTL and chorus to court...
    Both those services are allowing a rival tv comany to TV3 to show programmes for which TV3 claims to have ROI rights, to customers/viewers in the Republic of Ireland via a rebroadcast system.
    Originally posted by BrianD
    They have three options: Buy TV3, outbid TV3 or stay of Sky Digital in the RoI. As stated many times before, UTV don't own the rights to the majority of their content for the RoI. It is simply incorrect to say that TV3 are blocking them.
    Lets try a fourth.
    TV3 close down as it is making a mockery of the licence it has by showing mostly foreign programming and virtually exclusively ITV programming without the icing.
    They should close really for lack of originality or learn from TG4.
    Sláinte

Chicken or the egg, BrianD.

UTV was long, long on cable before TV3 was a twinkle in Ray Burke's eyes, and the uproar if it was removed now would be result to NTL and Chorus folding.

Ever since TV3 was took over by Granada, it was around the same time that ITV joined satellite. Granada used this technicality to block UTV appearing down here, as TV3 now shows all of Granada's ITV production.

Interesting 6 months ahead when/if ITV decide to go free to air....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

given that Granada and Carlton have merged to form ITV PLC, is it not ITV PLC that now owns 45% of TV3? And if so why are they still just showing Granada programming? Surely the full ITV stall(except Taggart!) should be available on TV3 now. I'm thinking specifically of the Frank Skinner show and Millionaire and stuff like that.

If ITV PLC were to takeover UTV PLC in the future which is a distinct possibility then that could have further implications for UTV's availability here on cable.

• Advertisement

I'm almost sure their assets are still independent of each other, like Carlton still own the ATV archive and Carry On films etc. I will verify this...

EDIT: No, I was wrong on this, yes TV3 is 45% owned by ITV plc. http://www.itvplc.com/itv/about/businesses/

The Bill, for instance, is not owned by ITV. They commission Fremantle/Thames to produce, but the rights stay with Thames. Neither is Millionaire, which is owned by Celador, and the Irish rights are held by Tyrone Productions, with RTÉ being the broadcaster with first divs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It is simply incorrect to say that TV3 are blocking them.

Absoulute and unadulterated rubbish, if TV3 withdrew their objection then UTV would be on sky digital tomorrow. Even guys in TV3 admit they are blocking UTV's arrival on sky.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

TVDX - There is nothing stopping ITV going Free To Air!!! But if UTV goes Free To Air, so will all the other ITV's. All of the different branches of ITV purchase different programme rights and fixtures. Why would UTV want a Northern Irish person watching a programme from Thames Television when UTV also have to pay for these rights? It would really mean ITV being one network. Also, why would companies pay for "opt-out" advertising on many different itv channels, if, they are all free to air?

To me it's pretty simple - ITV cannot feasibly go free to air as it would be extremely complicated in terms of prog. rights & advertising. Maybe they will go free to air? Who knows! But as far as I can see, they won't.

And TV3 is blocking UTV from appearing on an EPG lineup in Eire. Noone else!!!

This thread is going around in circles:confused: and circles:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Incorrect PK - I thought you would have understood the reasons by now.

• Advertisement

. Why would UTV want a Northern Irish person watching a programme from Thames Television when UTV also have to pay for these rights?

A Northern Irish person can watch all regions of ITV by simply adding them to "Other channels" and i never questioned who was blocking UTV's appearance on Sky Digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I can understand TV3 not wanting ITV/UTV broadcasting free to air, however as shareholder of TV3 I doubt ITV really care. They already control 90% of ITV1 ad revenue's, and free to air they'd be able to bump that up for ITV1 with Ireland (plus some gain in the North), plus the additional revenue from ITV2.

IMHO They'd be more concerned about UTV alone going on the EPG on Sky, rather than not wanting the whole of the ITV network going FTA.

I doubt the other shareholders of TV3 would feel the same however. I would think there's sod all TV3 could do to block the move if ITV wanted to go FTA, as without ITV programmes they have nothing.

This is why ITV can not (logically) go free to air:

1) Programming Rights: Carlton & Granada produce many of the television programmes that are aired on practically all of the ITV channels, programmes such as Coronation Street, The Bill, Hell's Kitchen etc. Each ITV station must pay ITV Central the programming rights to air these programmes. Why would ITV make any move to go free to air? That would mean that there would be no real financial benefits. For example, The Bill is aired at 8pm Wednesday's & Thursday's on UTV. Thames Television in London does not show the bill. Thames Television would therefore not be too happy about losing viewers to UTV, which would be free to receive anywhere in the Uk if it went FTA, and TTV advertisers wouldn't be too happy either; which brings me onto my next point.

2) Opt-out advertising: Unlike the BBC which is totally licence fee funded, ITV depends entirely on advertising for it's revenue funds. In the long run, the ITV network makes more money out of Opt-Out advertising (or regional advertising) than it would if it just had advertisements aired right the way across the UK. If ITV went free to air, it could mean viewers could pick 'n' mix between the different ITV stations and regional programming. This means that they may be receiving advertisements from other areas, which means advertisers are wasting their time paying for opt-outs when they're not being viewed. Also, ITV makes more money in the sense that if an advertiser does want their advertisement to be aired UK-wide, they have to pay each ITV regional station separately for the advertisement space. This way, ITV makes more money, as, if the advertisers were to pay just one amount to ITV, less money would be made.

3) Regional news: Allthough this does not apply too importantly, if ITV went free to air, how do you go about selecting your ITV region for all of your local programming? What if you only watch ITV free? What if you get the free to air install option, and therefore do not have a card (meaning your box will not know your postcode or region)? How do you select your region? You can't! There is no option to do so! Sky won't implement a menu (because why are they going to help ITV develop a free to air system, meaning sky lose out on million's of pounds a year worth of DVB VG encryption contracts? The only way to watch your own region is to tune it in in "Other Channels". And this also poses the question; which ITV region should be the "Standard" region for a brand new sky digibox?

4) ITV Sports Rights: Some sporting coverage lineup differs from station to station. ITV don't want a person in Ireland being able to tune into, say ITV Wales and watch a free football match, when TV3 or other station have to pay up for the rights in Ireland. This means a loss of revenue for the already loss ridden broadcaster.

5) TV3: Imagine TV3's reaction if UTV went Free to air? Why would there be any point in them shelling out millions of euro for programming rights when people just tune into UTV and get the programme in widescreen? TV3 could very easily boycott ITV networks, and Granada wouldn't want that!!!

So you see, the whole encryption issue here is mostly about securing separate programming rights for each ITV broadcaster region and making as much revenue as possible from "Opt-Out" advertising systems.

Now, TVDX & others, I hope this answers your query on ITV/Free to Air issue.

BrianD, I don't know where you are getting the idea that TV3 is NOT blocking UTV from the EPG In Ireland. I know it is, Tony knows it is, Sunday Times reports it, ITV says that is the reason - even TV3 itself admits that it is blocking ITV from appearing as an EPG channel number in Ireland, because it pays a huge amount of money for programming rights. Please read the article from the Times, kindly posted by "Andip", if you do not believe me.

For example, The Bill is aired at 8pm Wednesday's & Thursday's on UTV. Thames Television in London does not show the bill

Thames doesnt exist anymore. and London does get it's bi-weekly fix of The Bill

also viewers in the UK have been able to choose whatever region they wanted to watch since ITV went onto Sky

does it not? well, I'm sorry - I haven't been in London for quite some time, though!!!

However, when Thames did exist, as far as I know, The Bill was not shown in the evening and there were a good many other shows such as Neighbours/Holidays/Kitchens/Workmen from Hell etc.

Originally posted by TVDX
    A Northern Irish person can watch all regions of ITV by simply adding them to "Other channels"

I think some sky cards will allow the decryption of all ITV services, even though they are in "other channels".

Btw. This is my 200th post!!! :D:D

This is my 200th post!!! :D:D

/me tips his hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

does it not? well, I'm sorry - I haven't been in London for quite some time, though!!!

However, when Thames did exist, as far as I know, The Bill was not shown in the evening and there were a good many other shows such as Neighbours/Holidays/Kitchens/Workmen from Hell etc.
    Yeah, there was a time when different regions got a dramatically different schedule. Mostly gone. These days the main differences are the regional news, the odd scheduling difference and of course the regional advertising. The BBC have the first two of the three and seem to cope with those two.

This is why ITV can not (logically) go free to air:

I cant believe this has gone virtually unchallenged. Everyone was probably waiting for me! I havent had the time, now I have. :D So here goes....

1) Programming Rights: Carlton & Granada produce many of the television programmes that are aired on practically all of the ITV channels, programmes such as Coronation Street, The Bill, Hell's Kitchen etc. Each ITV station must pay ITV Central the programming rights to air these programmes. Why would ITV make any move to go free to air? That would mean that there would be no real financial benefits. For example, The Bill is aired at 8pm Wednesday's & Thursday's on UTV. Thames Television in London does not show the bill. Thames Television would therefore not be too happy about losing viewers to UTV, which would be free to receive anywhere in the UK if it went FTA, and TTV advertisers wouldn't be too happy either; which brings me onto my next point.

Wrong. ITV's schedule is almost always identical now, not like 20 years ago when programmes were not networked at the same time. Only UTV has a major "prime-time opt-out" when it shows Kelly in Friday nights. Regional Programmes are show at Thursday 7:30pm and outside of peak times. So what you typed is a load of guff.

2) Opt-out advertising: Unlike the BBC which is totally licence fee funded, ITV depends entirely on advertising for it's revenue funds. In the long run, the ITV network makes more money out of Opt-Out advertising (or regional advertising) than it would if it just had advertisements aired right the way across the UK. If ITV went free to air, it could mean viewers could pick 'n' mix between the different ITV stations and regional programming. This means that they may be receiving advertisements from other areas, which means advertisers are wasting their time paying for opt-outs when they're not being viewed. Also, ITV makes more money in the sense that if an advertiser does want their advertisement to be aired UK-wide, they have to pay each ITV regional station separately for the advertisement space. This way, ITV makes more money, as, if the advertisers were to pay just one amount to ITV, less money would be made.

ITV buys the advertising for each other region, in fact, SMG and UTV get ITV to buy the national advertising for their region. One point about the merger of Carlton and Granada was what to do with the two sales houses that each company had. It was seen from Sky and Channels 4 and 5 that they controlled too much, and that it would be fair to have that level of competition. But, the (then) ITC decided that that was the only reason for the merger, so it went ahead and now there will be one national sales team for the entire ITV network.

3) Regional news: Allthough this does not apply too importantly, if ITV went free to air, how do you go about selecting your ITV region for all of your local programming? What if you only watch ITV free? What if you get the free to air install option, and therefore do not have a card (meaning your box will not know your postcode or region)? How do you select your region? You can't! There is no option to do so! Sky won't implement a menu (because why are they going to help ITV develop a free to air system, meaning sky lose out on million's of pounds a year worth of DVB VG encryption contracts? The only way to watch your own region is to tune it in in "Other Channels". And this also poses the question; which ITV region should be the "Standard" region for a brand new sky digibox?

As I mentioned before, do like the BBC did, they got a deal with Sky to get the right region on 101 and 102, and the rest of them down the 940's. ITV would utilise that.
    Unlike a Sky Digibox, other FTA recievers can be programmed to the way you want. You could have the GOD Channel on 666! There is talk of the BBC having a branded FTA setup, like Freeview for DTT, and as sure as eggs are eggs, they would want the EPG lineup to have the 4 terrestrial networks for your region at the top of it. But over 95% of all satellite receivers in the UK are Sky Digiboxes, so it won't matter that much.

4) ITV Sports Rights: Some sporting coverage lineup differs from station to station. ITV don't want a person in Ireland being able to tune into, say ITV Wales and watch a free football match, when TV3 or other station have to pay up for the rights in Ireland. This means a loss of revenue for the already loss ridden broadcaster.

Not an issue, as ITV have moved away from regional sports rights (except Scotland where Scotsport is still on the air on Sunday afternoons, albeit with club rugby and the choice of Scottish Division 1 soccer) Also, during most Sundays during winter, the same branded "Soccer Sunday" is show right through England and Wales, with emphasis on local teams (ie what was Anglia on Norwich and what was HTV West now "ITV West of England" showing Swindon.) As ITV own the national rights to highlights of the Football League, this is a good way of getting what the viewer wants.

In years gone by, the Rose's cricket championship game was shown on only Granada and Yorkshire, that wont happen again.

Lets set one thing straight, ITV is not a poor outfit, they were able to write off ITV Digital with debts of over £1bn stg, and did such a job that it did not hit their coffers!!

5) TV3: Imagine TV3's reaction if UTV went Free to air? Why would there be any point in them shelling out millions of euro for programming rights when people just tune into UTV and get the programme in widescreen? TV3 could very easily boycott ITV networks, and Granada wouldn't want that!!!

TV3 dont pay that much for rights, they have a benelovant owner!

So you see, the whole encryption issue here is mostly about securing separate programming rights for each ITV broadcaster region and making as much revenue as possible from "Opt-Out" advertising systems.

Now, TVDX & others, I hope this answers your query on ITV/Free to Air issue.

20 years ago, maybe. Not now. ITV is not the animal that had Thames Television make its last broadcast to London in 1992. Its no longer a federation of 16 contractors, its a huge broadcaster. There is NO money to be made for making local regions pay the other regions for their programming, they are one of the same. Only UTV, Channel and SMG in Scotland make this arrangement still exist, as they are outside of ITV plc. All they have to do is pay a rate to get access to those programmes, for the size of their market. Its not a two-way street, like when was the last ITV networked broadcast by UTV or Channel?

And so we return to the topic. UTV is blocked on satellite because? Yes, that's right, they don't pay for RoI rights to ITV programmes. The reason why they are still on cable and MMDS is because of when they asked the other companies back in the 80's to do this, there was no hint of a TV3, let alone Granada owning it or ITV becoming the huge monolith that it is.

Now, if you don't mind....
    wag.gif

Yes DMC, but you see UTV won't/can't buy the rights for programmes in Ireland, because TV3 have them. Granada don't want to "give" them to UTV because then TV3 won't buy them!!! And if UTV went off cable/MMDS tomorrow morning, then they might as well shut down ntl & chorus - after all the whole idea that cable took off in Ireland was because it allowed the cheap and easy distribution and relay of UK terrestrial stations.

So it is tv3 to blame really. I also saw an interesting article in the Sunday Times Business section today, that makes a huge suggestion UTV might... wait for it... buy out TV3. Tbh, if TV3 went tomorrow morning, I wouldn't really miss it...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement