Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information about PayPal

Options
  • 23-05-2004 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have registered on paypal.com

I have received money on my paypal account.

It looks like there's no way for me, as an Irish resisdent, to withdraw the money.

Can anyone confirm or give me further information on this please ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

Unfortuantely Irish residents can't withdraw to a bank account. Paypal have sais that it would be available to Irish customers in early 2004 but there's still no word on it. In future I would suggest you use moneybookers.com instead as you can withdraw to an Irish bank account with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Slothy

Hi you sould try and use www.ikobo.ie they send you a atm card to withdraw money with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ZeFrog

Thanks lads, I will know for next time.

Now I have virtual money on pay pal, cooool! :D

I was using ebay and thought paypal would be a good solution.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Slothy
    Hi you sould try and use www.ikobo.ie they send you a atm card to withdraw money with.

Hmm! That's very handy, wonder what their merchant rates are like.
    The thing is with services like ikobo is that you have no recompense from ebay if you're ripped off, like you do if you use paypal. Also, paypal is the biggest online money transfer service so people will probably be reluctant to use another service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 larsson

OK, let's take this point by point. Ikobo's merchant rates are 2.99% + 30 cents per transaction with the possibility of dividing this fee between you and the customer. I don't think there are other types of fees, like monthly fees or something like that.
    They provide charge back protection, as well as having strong fraud protection system, so the risk of you getting ripped off is minimal. Hasn't happened to me yet.
    I can understand how people wouldn’t jump in and sign-up with a somewhat unknown company, that's what I thought in the beginning, but after doing some research, and learning some pretty bad stuff regarding paypal, I decided to go with ikobo. So far there are no regrets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by ZeFrog
    Thanks lads, I will know for next time.

Now I have virtual money on pay pal, cooool! :D

I was using ebay and thought paypal would be a good solution.

Cheers

Hey Zefrog I use paypal on a regular basis. I can buy the paypal cash off you (if it'll work and for a slight commision :) ) if it'll help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Easy-C

so is ikobo a better way of sending money
    than westernUnion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Hey guys. I am new to paypal(yesterday). Ok purchasing is straight forward enough, they debit your cc. What about selling, I dont want virtual money(or virtual anything for that matter, the REAL thing only please;) ), do they not credit my cc account if I sell something. Daveg great value in scuba gear there, as you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Easy-C
    so is ikobo a better way of sending money
    than westernUnion?

YES. Ikobo seems handy enough, only thing is you have to wait for a visa debit card to arrive once you've received money.
    I have signed up to it, but given Paypal's stranglehold on ebay, I doubt i'll ever get buyers using it.

Pataman - no, you cannot withdraw the money in your paypal account onto a credit card. Only a current account, and currently you can't do this in Ireland, so if you know anyone in the North maybe go up and open a current account, once you have your atm card for it you're flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Easy-C

so you get charged on this atm transaction too?
    I have used westernUnion but ikobo seems to be a much handier way of doing things,and cheaper too

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Easy-C
    so you get charged on this atm transaction too?
    I have used westernUnion but ikobo seems to be a much handier way of doing things,and cheaper too
    Yep, you get charged... but in the position of the recipient that's the only fee you have to pay, it's $1.50 per withdrawal, the first one being free. I doesn't seem like much to me, especially compared with what I had to pay when using WU.
    The visa card is quite useful as well and you don't have to wait so long for it, I only waited 5 or so days, after that transfers were almost instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

HEY GUYS

having been tormented for a long time about not being able to withdraw money to an Irish bank account, I was pleased to see this on Paypals site regarding policy changes:

"Bank Account Withdrawal for Ireland

Notice Date: July 1, 2004
    Effective Date: August 6, 2004
    Beginning August 6, 2004, PayPal will enable members in Ireland to withdraw funds from their PayPal account to a local bank account. "

NOW, WHADYA THINK OF THAT!!!!

:D:D

Hmmm, it does sound good indeed for Irish paypal account owners who haven't been ripped off yet. Let's just hope it actually works the way it should. You can't be too sure with anything with paypal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Alan25r

Hi. I am new here and I am see that you are talking about PayPal. I think that PayPal maybe a good solution for US people altough theirf fee are high in my opinion. I have a question. Do you know any good payment provider with coverage over Eastern Europe. I want to build a website with e-comerce functions and I need a good merchant account. Thanks.

Well, Alan25r, first of all welcome here. Now for your question, there are several payment services that cover Eastern Europe, like 2checkout, worldpay, moneybookers and others. Right now I use ikobo and it's enough for now. Good fees and fast transfer. They provide merchant account services as well, if you wish I can give you some more details on their services since I'm somewhat familiar with them. There are several details listed in this thread as well. Let me know if there's something else you wish to know!

Originally posted by larsson
    Well, Alan25r, first of all welcome here. Now for your question, there are several payment services that cover Eastern Europe, like 2checkout, worldpay, moneybookers and others. Right now I use ikobo and it's enough for now. Good fees and fast transfer. They provide merchant account services as well, if you wish I can give you some more details on their services since I'm somewhat familiar with them. There are several details listed in this thread as well. Let me know if there's something else you wish to know!

Thank you for your welcome. I am very interested in signing up with iKobo. Can you answer a couple of questions regarding this payment service ? It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I already said I'd answer them, so just post them already and I'll see what I can do to help. :cool:

Ok. Tell me how can someone reload his ikobo's iKard ? Ca I send money directly from the iKard to someone else ?

Originally posted by Alan25r
    Ok. Tell me how can someone reload his ikobo's iKard ?
    You cannot add funds to your own ikobo account. Someone has to send you money via ikobo in order for you to have funds added to your account.
    Ca I send money directly from the ikard to someone else ?
    Yes you can; but from your account and by using a credit card.

yes. thanks. but how secure is after all ikobo.com ? can we trust our transactions with them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Is this some kind of weird infomercial for ikobo...?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

My thoughts exactly BuffyBot.

2 new members who only post about ikobo and who sound like they are from a very badly done late night infomercial on tv3.

The scary thing is, i'm not seeing any affiliate links, could this be the entire promotion strategy of ikobo?

You're not seeing any affiliate links because I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I only use their services and thought I'd share my experience as well as help anyone who needs help. I guess that's what you get for trying to be a nice guy these days.
    Anyway, for Alan25r's question, I'd say it's secure enough, at least I didn't have any problems yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

PayPal is the best...

yeah we can't withdraw to the Bank account yet, but hopefully it will be somewhere by the end of 2004.

PayPal is getting bigger... and better, and its based in Ireland...

I can't wait to be able to withdraw funds to my bank account.....but best things come to those who wait.

And because we are regulated by the FSA in England the guidelines that have to be followed....

PayPal is safe and secure....

Do I have to add my credit card or bank account in order to use iKobo and what credit cards can I use with iKobo?

And because we are regulated by the FSA in England the guidelines that have to be followed....

Ireland has it's own Financial Services regulatory body, IFSRA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Jokah
    PayPal is safe and secure....

http://www.paypalsucks.com/ may beg to differ.

I just want some information. If you don't know then just please ignore my postings. But, if you know something about ikobo and you can help me then please just answer me. I don't understand why people react this way to simple questions about some payment service. If I would have posted about moneybookers or worldpay I would have been received the same tratment ?!? Just wondering ... :dunno:

Yes, you probably would have.

There is a handy private message function you know...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Alan25r
    Do I have to add my credit card or bank account in order to use iKobo and what credit cards can I use with iKobo?
    I'm going to ignore what's been said here and just answer your questions; yes you do have to add either a credit card or bank account. The cards accepted are Visa and MasterCard.

Advertisement