Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information about PayPal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Oh yeah, I know about PayPal sucks.com

bunch of crap to be honest. I could set up a site, like AIBsucks.com or BOIsucks.com, if I wanted to complain about their service.

Im my opinion that site, paypalsucks.com, was set up by people who made stupid mistakes on the net using the PayPal platform and decide to blame the platform...

Its quite a funny site...

Ireland do have IFSRA yes, but id say the FSA in the UK are better, and more well known, Im not sure about that..

To be honest, there are some good alternatives out there to PayPal, because they offer the ability to withdraw to a bank account, but hopefully by the end of 2004 we will have bank capability in Ireland.

But being owned by Ebay, PayPal is probably the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Alan25r

You are probably right. For USA people is much easier to use paypal. But what about the people from Europe and from other countries. I think they have more options. Not much but enough to study them and have an idea about each one of them. I am from E. Europe and I think I am going to use iKobo because I have no problems with them. I must add that I use them for a pretty long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Am I the only person who cant get paypal to work. I have tried unsuccessfully to 3 different people and each time it wont work. Spent 14 mins onto the states the other day only to be told its a computer security decision which they cant override. Each time I get this transaction cannot be fundede by your credit card. I have tried both of my visa cards and it says the same thing both times. I have been verified.

Anyone else get this and how did you solve it?

Have you tried ringing the UK help number, which the help support is based here in Dublin.....

its a visa issue and not a paypal thing... id ring paypal UK during the day, you get through to the Irish call centre and they will give u a better answer...

Call +448707 307 191, its a UK call save number.

Call during the day cos you get through to ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

thanks I will give it a go on Monday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Jokah

Ireland do have IFSRA yes, but id say the FSA in the UK are better, and more well known, Im not sure about that..

Well, considering you are in Ireland, the FSA won't give a sh1t if you're ripped off.
    There was some furore recently about how paypal are registered with the FSA, apparently not registered so they can do credit card chargebacks in the event of fraud or something?

As for paypalsucks, I think it *is* just people who were unlucky and got ripped off - can't expect paypal to bail you out for your own stupid mistakes! I've been buying and selling using paypal for 2 years now and i've transferred £1000's without any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 larsson

I admit most of the postings on paypalsucks are from people unable to understand how the system works, or who haven't been careful enough with their accounts. Still, some of the experiences there are from people who apparently just got ripped off. The account freezing is a big issue with paypal as well as the lack of customer support.

All I know is that lately there has been a big number of frauds on paypal so in my opinion they don't have a great antifraud system. Anything else ?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by Alan25r
    ...I think I am going to use iKobo because I have no problems with them. I must add that I use them for a pretty long time now.

and on 12 July Alan25r wrote:

Thank you for your welcome. I am very interested in signing up with iKobo. Can you answer a couple of questions regarding this payment service ? It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

This really seems like a "so tell me John can wondercleaner really clean the dried grout stain " infomercial..

"The account freezing is a big issue with paypal as well as the lack of customer support."

People who post on PayPal sucks are cretins...they actually answer spoof emails and give over financial information and then wonder why their accounts are limited.

Limited accounts are their to protect members and PayPal...They are not just put on willy nilly, usually they are there to stop the real gangsters causing harm to members..

And as far as I know, the customer service is very good....they are only a phone call away.... how do I know? ;)

And I agree with Eth0, I have also used PayPal for years and never had a problem, never had a problem either buying or selling....

• Advertisement

:D yeah, most of them are... but you have to admit some of those problems could have been averted if paypal enforced tighter security. This is my opinion...

Sure things do slip through the system. Not every financial system in the world is 100% flawless, so granted you are going to get a few pissed off people in the world who think they have lost out....

45 million users, course there are going to be problems, but its still the biggest online payments system in the world and owned by Ebay....

But hey, everyone has their opinion, good or bad, so cool...I have never had any trouble.....

Touch wood...

;)

You are right when you say that many people use paypal. But, also many people know **** about other payment systems like moneybookers or ikobo or another two or three services. Those services REALLY have better offers, lower charges and much much higher coverage. In my country people are starting to use ikobo and oneybookers because they simply like them and these two services have coverage over a big part of Europe. Paypal doesn't. And there are other reasons for selecting other payment providers and not paypal but I won't list them right now.

Well, I agree with both Jokah as well as with Alan. It's true a lot of people use paypal, but most of them from the US or from Canada. For Europe there are other alternatives such as the ones listed by Alan which first of all work in European countries and second, they may actually be better choices than paypal.
    That's how I see things.

I agree that PayPal really isnt user friendly in Europe, especially Germany, cos they don't use Credit Cards there....well most of them dont...

PayPal yes is not friendly for Irish sellers at the moment, but that is going to change(bank account usage), very soon i believe...;)

Lets see what happens in the "battle of the payment systems"..

As Kent Brockman would say, "Only time will tell".

I know paypal is supposed to open up for Ireland, but I wouldn't trust them so much. I think it's going to take a little (lot) more time before they actually do it. Then again, I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

just a quick question, i've never used paypal but i've just signed up.
    i'm bidding on an item, and lets say i win the auction. (lovely Boss pedal.. mmnnnn..)

does paypal AUTOMATICALLY take money from my visa card to pay the seller if i win?
    or do i have to set up sending money to the user?

thanks, k

PayPal is user initiated, and you do all the sending of money....When you press the send button you give permission to PayPal to debit your card...

PayPal is a platform which allows you to transfer the money.

TO set up your Ebay link within PayPal.....

Go to your account, go to The PROFILE tab in your account...Under Selling Preferences click on auctions...

In auctions you will be able to add your Ebay User ID and password...add it accurately...PayPal will then recognise Your Ebay ID and Password

When you log into your paypal account after winning any auction you will see on the main page "recent activity" and a link for Ebay(with the Ebay logo beside it) called "items won"....

Click on the items won link and you will see any auctions you need to pay for....But be sure to set up your Ebay/Password as described above within your PayPal account.

Because Ebay owns PayPal they have to be integrated in some way....

Hope this helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

Jokah wrote:
    TO set up your Ebay link within PayPal.....

legend! thanks!

Jokah wrote:
    I agree that PayPal really isnt user friendly in Europe, especially Germany, cos they don't use Credit Cards there....well most of them dont...

I think that Europe will make many money online transactions in the future. My question is what are the real good services that cover Europe in this moment ? :eek:

• Advertisement

Alan25r wrote:
    I think that Europe will make many money online transactions in the future. My question is what are the real good services that cover Europe in this moment? :eek:
    The only ones that come to mind are ikobo and moneybookers. I use ikobo for quite a while now, it's ok. I also think moneybookers could be an option, not so sure though.

larsson wrote:
    The only ones that come to mind are ikobo and moneybookers. I use ikobo for quite a while now, it's ok. I also think moneybookers could be an option, not so sure though.

Yeah I think so too, altough for example, I cannot send money from my country using moneybookers and also I need a bank account to receive. Ikobo does not require thos kind of things. :)

I see, well that may be indeed a problem for some people. One could use western union instead, but their fees and speed are nowhere near those of online payment services.

If I am not mistaken, Tomorrow, PayPal will give the facility to Irish users, to allow them to withdraw funds to an Irish Bank account..

Happy days....

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Jokah wrote:
    If I am not mistaken, Tomorrow, PayPal will give the facility to Irish users, to allow them to withdraw funds to an Irish Bank account..

Happy days....

Yeah, a friend of mine was told by them last month that the second week in August will have facility for Irish Bank accounts, good stuff if they're a day early, will certainly help Irish get more buyers on ebay.

It's a good thing they're doing that, although I'm not sure that's going to actually work. As I said before, I don't really trust paypal, but who knows, I suppose that since they announced that, they're actually gonna do it. We'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭osullima

Sitting here waiting for the Paypal site to come back up online. If you can withdraw directly into an Irish bank account it will indeed be happy days as I have over $1300 in my account I could do with being hard cash!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭osullima

Well. Good news. Just tranfered my money from Paypal into my Irish Bank Account with no problems. They say a 5-7 day waiting time before the cash is in the account. Just add bank account and then withdraw money. simple. Happy Days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Finally! What about this service though, does it cost anything? Also if someone sends me a credit card funded payment will I be able to send it directly into my bank account?

• Advertisement

Its free to send money on paypal, but they do charge a fee for receiving money. See the fees link at the bottom of the paypal home page for more info.

If someone sends you a credit card payment it goes straight to your PayPal balance where you can either use the balance to make purchases online, or you can withdraw the funds to your bank account....It costs a euro to withdraw funds to the bank, minimum 10 euro to be withdrawn, and it takes 5-7 working days, usually it takes about 3 days..

Advertisement