Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utv clicksilver question?

• 23-05-2004 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I read on the ireland offine website that you need to sign up for the UTV phone service to avail of their broadband internet service, However this fact seems to be refuted by a FAQ on the UTV website.
    However the FAQ is sketchy at best so whats the story ,do I have to sign up for the phone service or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

That would be a big yes on having to take the phone service.
    Is it worth it?
    The house was with the UTV phone service up to a few weeks ago for their flat rate dial-up but they changed back to eircom just cause some dickheads from eircom called to the door.
    I swear to god the ammount of times iv been kicked in the balls by eircom isn't right,
    the only solace I have is that I never bought any of their crapy shares.

I'v never been one to use foolish emoticons but today I need one to express my rage.

:mad:

Well I guess you have make a judgment about service, prices, terms and conditions etc but for me it was a no-brainer. The call charges seem perfectly okay and UTV broadband is the cheapest you can get so....dont hesitate.

Mike.

ps I did buy Eircom shares but only a 100 of 'em thank God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Mike do you know what changing to UTV involves like penalties and tme frame.
    The guy who changed the phoneline last my brother isnt around to question.

Er as I recall there is no penalty, remember the line is still eircoms (the bastards!). It took about a week from sign up to line activation (the BB modem if you need one
    takes only a few days to arrive).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

There is no penalties.

You still get charged your line rental every month by Eircon, then all your calls are charged to UTV. It take bout 10 days to get your calls transfered to the UTV system, no down time, Eircon are just slow. They seem to be a fair bit cheaper, but thats just my opinion.

All you get from Eircon is a letter saying you have been transfered to a different operator.

AS for the broadband, it has been excellant of late, much improved speeds and only down for 2 hrs last week :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by mike65
    (the BB modem if you need one
    takes only a few days to arrive).

Mike.

That's if you're at home when they call which I haven't been the two times they have called :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The postman just left us a note to pick it up in the post office. as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by Stephen
    The postman just left us a note to pick it up in the post office. as usual.

It was actually being delivered by SDS. They had tried to deliver it twice but I wasn't at home. So I rang up and the guy said he'd send someone round in half an hour. I said I wouldn't be there but that I could get a friend to call around. He said the friend would actually have to be in the house and that he couldn't just be standing in the drive (which is fair enough). It turned out that my friend didn't get there on time as there was another notice from SDS in the letter-box. Then he looked at the back of the notice and the delivery guy had written that the package was in my green bin!!!! So they're not willing to hand over to someone standing in your drive but they will put it in the bin for you :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

ROFL, i have a better story.

A few years ago the power supply in my gateway blew (never mess with the 220/110 switch...) and i sent the whole box to gateway to get replaced.

About 2 weeks later i came home one day to find a bigass box sitting in the middle of my driveway, nearly at my garage, but still in plain view. I thought that was really strange, and when i got closer i noticed the huge gateway sticker on the side.

Afterwards i regretted not pretending that it got taken. I would have had a great laugh ringing em up and asking them where the parcel was. They would have thought it was delivered, but no-one signed for it or anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement