Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps2 problem

Options
  • 23-05-2004 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

more of a hardware related game issue then game but i figured i'd get a better response here.

my brothers ps2 stopped reading disc today, its coming up as disc read error, it happened after he bought a copy of time splitters, but i reckon its more to do with the fact that he had just taken the ps2 up to my aunt's in the car.

any idea what causes this? is it possible the laser has been damaged or may it just need a clean, advice appreciated.

data

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well when i was getting mine modded they also cleaned lense its not too far INSIDE, if you might have to open the cd drive too after opening the case, to clean it.
    cleaning it would be your best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

buy one of those cd/dvd lense cleaning discs really cheaply bought in powercity/music shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

right thanks for the replies folks, i'll look into that

data

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I it isn't chipped Sony will fix it for you as long as you don't take off the warranty sticker. I've the same problem but my PS2 is chipped and sony won't touch it. I've tried everything to clean the lens but it wont work. The other option is to increase the voltage to the laser. There are faqs on www.gamefaqs.com that tell you how to do this. However you have to attempt this while the PS2 is turned on so there is a risk of electrical shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

aye its not chipped at all, i don't think its under warranty though its a few years old at this stage i suppose. i don't think i'll try messing with the laser though, i had a bit of shock in the lab one day and its definetly not the way forward :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement