Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vinyl question

Options
  • 23-05-2004 11:34pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been using an oldish record player (I dont know how long its been since the needle was replaced, but it still works).
    The problem is the noise that comes off the records themselves, and not just the speakers. Now I know that you always get abit of noise from a record, because thats how they work, but this seems quite loud, so much so that its interfering with the sound quality of what I hear from the speakers.

Is it just because the lid on the player doesnt completely seal (there are gaps in the sides) or is it in need of a new needle. Its not the records, most of them are brand new, and the sound coming through the speakers sounds grand, its just I can always hear the high-pitched noise coming directly from the needle, and its iritating at times

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Do you have your record player connected to the phono input of your amp, it will hiss if you have it any other input, also does the record player need to be grounded, my technics do, and if i dont ground them they aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Are you using an all in one record player speakers sytem or a turntable amp system ?

From what you're describing it sounds like you have a classic music center type thingy. These normally came with a ceramic/crystal cartridge and diamond needle. Because of the tracking weight/arm used it was common to hear the needle resonating from the vynil tracks.

There probably isn't anything wrong just that you're not used to it, why not try sticking a CD on there and listen what it sounds like !!;)

ZEN

Advertisement