Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interference from pc to amp&speakers?

Options
  • 24-05-2004 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hi
    i have a sony str-de475 and whenever i try hook it up to my pc for sound
    (just using the normal output split into a 2way phone) i either get nothing or i get a weird buzzing noise as if it would be if u had the bass and volume cranked up to the max normally!
    i know i only have onbroard sound, but the motherboard (MSI-6712 KT4V-L) is said to have 5.1 output (however, i never got the digital output connector with it, so im using the headphones line)
    my sound driver is Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
    could it be that the pc is interfering with the speakers? ...
    my pc, tv and amp are all in the centre of the room along the wall, all within half a foot or so from eachother, with the speakers either side of them (left speaker about 2 foot from pc, right speaker about 5 foot)
    is it just a cable issue etc?
    should i get the optical attachment for the sound (if its available seperately!)
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

dont use the headphone socket. use line-out... and set the level on that to about 75% in the sound mixer panel.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I had the stereo version of that same audio controller onboard, i'm sure it's quite ok, but it didn't work with Linux and i've never tried it with Windows XP, because i got a SB Live! before i changed over to an XP desktop and put linux on the server.

I definitely can vouch for the fact that any Soundblaster card will give very good quality and i've had no interference at all. I'm using a Yamaha AX-396 Stereo Amp and there's no interference.

If you want to stay with the onboard chipset, then the digital out should solve your problem and give you great quality sound (since you won't be using the onboard decoder anyway). Probably the quickest quick-fix to try.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

nice one, i will try get it somewhere
    thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

It sounds like it might be an earthing problem. You may have your PC and your Amp connected to different power sockets in the room, causing a ground loop hum. Just double check that you have the PC and the Amp running from the same plugboard, connected to the same socket. If the problem goes away, bingo! If not, the rest of the advice on this thread seems good.

Good luck!

Advertisement