Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAOC RVR or bust?

Options
  • 24-05-2004 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭

Allo....

i'm moving out of my studant accom into a shared house next year and one of the guys there is a big online gaming nut like me so we were thinking of going halfs on one of these *dang fangled* mmorpgs (my only experiance being Legend of Mir when it was free) so i've been poking around trying to pick one that would keep me interested. He's all for Star wars galaxies (him being huge fan) but i like a bit more interaction on a large scale...

that was when i saw these realm versus realm things in DAOC and i must now are they any fun? I mean organising huge raiding parties against other players in frontier lands sounds brilliant. I like PVP interaction to be more then justfighting with each other hence that appeals to me most. I would like my name to be feared across the battlefield (unlikely but i can dream)

So are the PVP battles any good?

Or is there another mod which offers the same sort of interaction or diversity as DAOC.

I've ruled Final Fantasy XI out because the reviews say it is very much the same as everquest except with final fantasy touches on it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Doing well in DAoC PvP requires a truely massive investment of time. You have to be the right class, you have to be in a good guild, you have to be level 50, you have to have the best equipment, you need realm rank 5, not to mention master levels.. it's not a very newbie-friendly game. :)

SWG is a lot more accessible I have found, and there is lots of large-scale PvP on my server Chimaera.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

cheers

currently trying Mu online (simply cause its free) but its a pain when i try to connect it says please wait has a loading bar which when it finishes starts over again...dam it i've waited 20minutes and still the game hasnt loaded grrrr KILL!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

I play on Alb/excal mostly , and RvR is big battles , this is how the server has gone.
    Yeah picking the right class is very important, not only for RvR but also for getting groups that u can xp.

I picked a Friar , now they where Amazing and in PvE ( xping or getting items and the like) they are still very very good , in RvR they are lacking but Mytic are always trying to address the way things are.

I've been playing close to 2 years now and i honestly Enjoy playing , be it pwnz0ring the enemy or just looking for uber items and doing my Master levels...

I would say give it a go , once you start playing you won't ever stop =)

check out www.daoc-stats.com to see just how competitive it can be

btw i'm 5 -7 on the Friar Listing ( Gamblor Shadowlords Society)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

DAOC is a very fun game , I had a 50 hero 'Tusk' 47 Warden 24 Ranger 24 Eldritch and a few more...

great fun , ATM im still looking for a beta or free mmorpg to fill the gap , cant find one though . Was looking forward to risk your life but i cant ge t it working .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

very enjoyable game imho but if you are going to play join hib/exc as the albs have to much people in them atm:P RvR is great, love the aspect of it and also Darkness Falls, basicly there are 6 keeps in each realm(hib,midgard and albion) each 3 relams are against each other, the 3 realms can take controll of the other realms keeps, the realm which has the most keeps gets Darkness falls, Darkness false is a cave which nerly all levels can level in with great exp, it is also connected with the other realms, if another realm takes darkness falls the people in there stay and can get attacked by the other realm.

with the new expansion you can get artifact items which can level when you kill monsters but only some monsters with each item,

really its a great game and thats kinda the basics, if you want to learn more www.freddyshouse.com is the offical unoffical forum for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gilead

yea rvr is pretty sweet in the game,i got a rr10<about as good as you get in pvp rankings> and it still is good fun after 2 + years

if any boardy is starting on hib/excal gimme a call on gilead/oompa/niobe and ill hook you up with some cash and items i got spare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

If your after pvp id check out neocron , been playing it since retail and i still enjoy the big fights . As close to fps / rpg your goiing to get . Easy enought to level if you know what your doing .

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Tusky wrote:
    DAOC is a very fun game , I had a 50 hero 'Tusk' 47 Warden 24 Ranger 24 Eldritch and a few more...

great fun , ATM im still looking for a beta or free mmorpg to fill the gap , cant find one though . Was looking forward to risk your life but i cant ge t it working .

Your char is rr11 now in prolly the best guild on hib/excal, Dem Hibbies though I know its not you playing anymore.

Many other Irish still play DAoC?

On topic now. DAoC is getting a bit ****e lately with ToA and soon NF which will mean only massive keep takes, but Im going to Camlann the PvP server when I reactivate as it seems its least affected by ToA and NF.

ToA = Time sink expansion, farm for hours for special ITAMZ and either absoloute terrible Abilities or some really overpowered ones, Grapple/FZ ect..

NF = New RvR expansion, update to the frontier zones where people PvP on the standard servers, mainly keep taking/defending orientated though. Keep takes are fun the first 20 times or so, but after that its very monotonous, especially if you are a tank, you just get to hit the doors :D

and Offtopic again now, does Yosimitsu(bard, hib/excal) or Rhox(NS hib/excal) still play? If so what name/class/realm/server ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I played this game since beta and it ruined my life!

DaSilvia if your thinking about starting a minstrel on camlann ive got a lvl 48 which i dont use anymore.Just send me a pm and ill give you all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

DaSilva wrote:
    Your char is rr11 now in prolly the best guild on hib/excal, Dem Hibbies though I know its not you playing anymore.

Many other Irish still play DAoC?

On topic now. DAoC is getting a bit ****e lately with ToA and soon NF which will mean only massive keep takes, but Im going to Camlann the PvP server when I reactivate as it seems its least affected by ToA and NF.

ToA = Time sink expansion, farm for hours for special ITAMZ and either absoloute terrible Abilities or some really overpowered ones, Grapple/FZ ect..

NF = New RvR expansion, update to the frontier zones where people PvP on the standard servers, mainly keep taking/defending orientated though. Keep takes are fun the first 20 times or so, but after that its very monotonous, especially if you are a tank, you just get to hit the doors :D

and Offtopic again now, does Yosimitsu(bard, hib/excal) or Rhox(NS hib/excal) still play? If so what name/class/realm/server ? :)

Yea I know :) wish I had nay sold him :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I have a Merc (Taen) in GoL on Excal .. and imo DAoC > SWG .. If u like pvp then DAoC is the way to go .. I played SWG for a couple of months and I thought it sucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 str_hun

A bit offtopic but:
    you have any ideas where to get DAoC with Shrouded Isles and Trial of Atlantis in Dublin? I've been to GAME and GameStore, without any luck.
    Thanks for help,
    str

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

yea, i quit a while ago also coz i had some stuff to do, but to they guy looking for Yoshimitsu / Rhox... still plays afaik, he normally plays camlann only on his ranger " Halder " in the guild " Fear " .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

I played DaoC from the European release, really enjoyed it, it is a big time sink but its a very good game, and nothing like the time sink that is EQ.

However if your just looking to start a new game it might be worth waiting for World of Warcraft its awesome, SWG sucks stay well clear its not what you imagine

Advertisement