Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madonna : if it worked in Israel it can work here!!

Options
  • 24-05-2004 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

"Death threats have reportedly forced pop superstar Madonna to cancel three shows in Israel.A series of poison pen letters warned the singer she and her two young children would be killed if she went ahead with the gigs."

Ok while its not cool to threaten to kill her kids (i mean come on with names like lourdes and rocco they have enough on their plates) we could at least threaten to beat madonna with a very big stick of celery or something.

Come on people, if it worked in Israel it can work here!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Why do "we" not want Madonna to play here???

Personally, I find the threat of violence against any musician, artist or individual unacceptable.

I understand that the Madonna show in Slane this year will be a spectacular production with one of the most complex stages ever erected in this country. Whether you like the music or not is another issue. Live and let live, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Brian for feic's sake take a joke..... unless you've already stocked up on the celery sticks smurf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭christi

I have so many that I am not quite certain where to begin... But here goes - oh and before I go off on this wee rant of mine, this is all just "personal" opinion and "personal" observation, so no kicking my ass for it - I get enough of that at home thank you very much ;)

Okay let's begin here: "Madonna" is not a person so much as he is a media machine! Hell, she's a marketing shark in a sea of small fishes... She's nothing more than a sleezie sales rep that can carry a tune when she thinks that she has something worth while to say!

She's re-invented herself so many times that the public no longer knows what to expect from her.... pro-sex, anti-god, anti-war, images of a black jesus to sell pepsi, Kabala, yoga,... yada, yada, yada.... It all comes down to "shock & sales" - and it's all done for "her" love of money and the "ray of light" that she soooo loves to stand in. Honestly, when was her last "hit"? - One that she didn't sell to a company for even more of a cash in?

And should we even mention the "dud" that was her&hubby's movie? I still can't believe that Guy lowered himself to direct that piece of pure celluloid ****e! And let's not forget the media blitz that was the release of her children's book.... Ohhhh that pretty button-up lady-like pink suite that she wore to pose with all of the kids? I wonder if "sex" is next to her latest release at home for Rocco and Lourdes to see??? Can you say "greed-driven-hypocrite" ?

As you can read I have little respect for the Meglomaniac that is Madonna... and those are just a few of the reasons why!

Give me a real rocker who digs who she is! One who reaches the top on talent and courage!

There's enough bubblegum and cotton-candy-ass chicks out there to make me gag and Madonna is their "mom" , she taught Spears, Agullera, and that brainless Jessica Simpson to sell by morphing into things that they so are obviously not! Great hair, tits, and shaking one's ass for all to see does not good music or a great woman make!

And thus ends my rant.

Have a great week everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

As far as I know, Madonna is well stocked up on the celery sticks
    herself. She´s into that sort of thing.

Brian´s right though. Threatening musicians ain´t on.
    No matter how bad you may think they are.
    Remember the Graceland tour (well, I don´t actually but anyway)...
    in South Africa, where Paul Simon was sent all sorts of threats
    if he went ahead with the gig. Fair play though... they went
    ahead with it... but jeez. I mean you´ve enough to worry
    about with hecklers and whatnot without worrying about
    snipers in the gallery. The Olympia would be a scary place to
    play in that sort of environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Ok maybe i wasnt very clear on my stance on this, or perhaps it was a joke in poor taste. I honestly dont feel anybody should be threatened and threatening madonna because she's an image of the west is just plain stupid.

She did the right thing to cancel. I still dont want to see her at slane though, id rather preserve slane as the rock venue that it is. But im not going to send poison pen letters either.(hence the celery sticks)

Yeah its shocking and wrong that she was threatened and forced to cancel, but jaysus lads i wish she'd cancel for over here and give us a decent Slane to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Smurf i got the joke.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hubert

Originally posted by tiggertigger

Remember the Graceland tour (well, I don´t actually but anyway)...
    in South Africa, where Paul Simon was sent all sorts of threats
    if he went ahead with the gig. Fair play though... they went
    ahead with it..

Here hang on a minute that was different becuase he was breaking a long-standing cultural boycott and basically thumbing his nose at both the anti-apartheid movement in general and the ANC. He ****ing deserved it ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Maybe we could spring Mark Chapman from jail and fly him over ???;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Groovy Mover

Calm down, calm down! I think Smurfpiss had a point - Madonna is a pop act - is Slane an appropriate venue? I suppose Robbie Williams is too and he played it a few years ago, didn't he?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭IanluvsKathleen

Originally posted by BrianD

with one of the most complex stages ever erected in this country

sorry dude but just because she is bringing a fancy pants stage with her does not jusitfy anything.
    personally i couldnt care less bout her playing slane but when i go to gigs i prefer to see a quality real, passionate performance rather than a stage doing somersaults.
    ..........with the exception of oasis be here now tour. that stage was quite groovy......any takers......anyone........i'll get my coat.

young team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

"Madonna's much-heralded return to the stage has hit trouble after the singer was forced to cancel her second date.The pop queen has been struck by a bout of stomach flu and ordered to rest by her doctor."

Yessss...yesss...it is working...
    *strokes cat and laughs manically!!*:D

I really should do something better with my life than relaying news to you about some saggy titted pop star..but ah well.

Advertisement