Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ella leaves Leinster, Kidney to replace him?

• 24-05-2004 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Ella has gone...

From Ireland.com:

Leinster have parted company with coach Gary Ella after a disappointing season in charge at Donnybrook. The Australian leaves his post under a cloud after a number of unnamed players expressed their dissatisfaction at the current regime in the Sunday press a fortnight ago.

Announcing his departure, Leinster chief executive Michael Dawson said: "I would like to thank Gary for all his efforts in what has been a difficult season where the absence of players and a lengthy injury list were contributing factors.

"We wish Gary and his family the very best of luck in the future. Overall the Provincial Team Management Committee felt that a change was required and a fresh approach needed and we will be announcing our new coach in the coming days."

Sources say that Kidney will renege(don't know how difficult this is or if it is possible but I spose everything is) on his commitment to Gwent and take the Leinster job.

It's easy to feel sorry for Ella, but to be honest I'm of the opinion that a coach is there to be the boss, you don't let the players get too big for their boots or get out of line. Ella needed to nip that sh*t in the bud, maybe he would have failed and got the bullet quicker, but player power can go too far. Don't think you'd have seen a similar situation arise in the other provinces. No one looks good out of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Feel sorry for Ella to be honest, never had the respect of the players by all accounts and if was a tough year for the provinces with the world cup.

Doubt Kidney will take the job after working for IRFU muppets already I don't think he'll be running off to work for leinster branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Well, they say all Napoleon ever wanted from his generals was to be lucky. Gary Ella certainly didn't get any of that:

Top players gone for half of year
    Everybody else injured most of the time
    Some muppet in back office messing up Contepomis registration

Not his fault.

Maybe he'll do a Gatland - go off, find a side that treats him better and come back and rub our noses in it.

Advertisement