Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Reciever And Dish

Options
  • 24-05-2004 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi THERE!!
    PARents had sky dish and reciever and cancelled for whatever reason!
    Now just lying about collecting dust!
    I am wondering if(complete with card)can i hook this up to recieve basic sky or what can I do?
    Would I be better off just looking for the latest sky package?
    l8r
    johnnyboy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It depends on the situation.

No matter what you are not going to get the sky channels without paying a subscription, the card will have been cancelled. If it is a recent card (if it has a graphic of a yellow house on a blue background on it) it can be re-activated otherwise you will need a new card at least.

If the dish is still on the wall and the cable is still in place then using the box you have would be the best option, just hook it up and see if it works. There are about 12 useful channels (and lots of shopping channels) you can watch without a subscription including BBC1 BBC2 BBC3 BBC4 News24. If you want a subscription then ring Sky, they will then send you out a new card.

If the dish needs re-installing or you are in a different house it might be cheaper to get a new install, the downside is that the box has to ne hooked up to a phoneline and you are tied to a minimum of 1 year subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

i know that rte gets cancelled just like sky one etc, but should we legally not be able to get rte,net2 etc for free on a digibox as we have paid our license fee?
    i have a cancelled sky digital account and im annnoyed that i cant get the irish channels anymore.
    in the uk they have a free to air card that anyone can get as their right to as a license fee payer, so why don we have soemthing like that, any1 know?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's to do with RTE's deal with Sky. AFAIR, RTE got free encryption provided they agreed to be available on Family Pack or higher. You're not the only one annoyed with this.

The Free-to-view card system in UK has sort of ceased at the moment. A cancelled UK sky subscription card allows ITV, C4, etc but its no longer possible to order a card for FTV channels only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

sorry for going off topic, but what is AFAIR & AFAIK?
    :o

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

AFAIR - As far as I remember
    AFAIK - As far as I know

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement