Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who Next for Liverpool

• 24-05-2004 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, who do you think is the best man for the job as next Liverpool Coach?

Next Liverpool Manager 43 votes

Martin O'Neill
    0% 0 votes
    Alan Curbishly
    20% 9 votes
    Jose Mourinho
    11% 5 votes
    Rafael Benitez
    16% 7 votes
    Gordon Strachan
    30% 13 votes
    Kenny Dalglish
    4% 2 votes
    Another Boot-Room ex-Player
    13% 6 votes
    Other
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've a feeling Daglish will be back in some form, particularly if a foreign coach comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

judging from the BBC 606 poll a lot of people still feel MON will be Pool's next manager:
    Who do you think should be the next manager of Liverpool Football Club?
    16% Rafael Benitez (Valencia)
    21% Alan Curbishley (Charlton)
    16% Jose Mourinho (Porto)
    47% Martin O' Neill (Celtic)
    Total so far: 1726

Figures do not represent public opinion

Benitez is currently favourite at 5/4 on PP but the Valencia chairman said he will remain in charge next season. MON is 2nd favourite at 10/3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Sky text says Curby's the favourite .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

My money's on Mourinho (at 8-1). Call it a hunch, but his comments back in February when he said he'd pick the Reds over Chelsea along his quotes today where he said a good relationship with the board leads me to believe he'll end up at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by super_furry
    My money's on Mourinho (at 8-1). Call it a hunch, but his comments back in February when he said he'd pick the Reds over Chelsea along his quotes today where he said a good relationship with the board leads me to believe he'll end up at Anfield.
    I'd go along with that... (is he good enough???)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I would like to see Mourinho, Benitez or Dalglish take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Ranieri future unresolved - looks like he still has a job for now or else he's got a nice severence package and has to keep stum until the new manager is appointed.

Two bits of info that I've been told today but haven't been verified:

Mourinho to Chelsea was signed and sealed until Houllier parted company with Liverpool. Mourinho's representative has been using the vacancy as a bargaining chip. Mourinho wants a say in what players come and go while he is manager, no such guaratees are forthcoming from Chelsea.

Peter Kenyon has been talking to Steve McClaren about taking over as Chelsea manager just in case Mourinho pulls out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

whoever does get the job, i hope at least he brings back liverpool to their old passing style, i read ray houghton in the star today going for MON.Im not so sure as hes mainly long ball and basically scotland is a two club league if everyone is honest with themselves.

Originally posted by Bannor
    Peter Kenyon has been talking to Steve McClaren about taking over as Chelsea manager just in case Mourinho pulls out.
    :eek: That would be a big suprise.
    Originally posted by galwaydude
    whoever does get the job, i hope at least he brings back liverpool to their old passing style, i read ray houghton in the star today going for MON.Im not so sure as hes mainly long ball and basically scotland is a two club league if everyone is honest with themselves.
    I'm sure he'd change his style to what he feels would be best for the team. Anyway, Celtic's long ball tag is just a steriotype. You can't play a long ball game with Neil Lennon in your team.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd be happy with Curbs but also with Mourinho (sp).

Mike.

• Advertisement

Ranieri was told that he is the Chelsea manager for one more season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Benitez has the big game experience and could possibly take one or two players with him..

Ranieri was told that he is the Chelsea manager for one more season.
    Are you sure? I heard that Abramovich didn't turn up for the meeting and both Ranieri and Kenyon discussed possible transfer dealings for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I was watching Sky Sports news this morning and they reported that Mourinho said that tonight was the biggest night of his career, but that Thursday will decide his future.

Sky took this as meaning that he was going to Chelsea, but Chelsea currently have somebody in that position, Liverpool do not! I would not be surprised if there was a press conference called in Anfield tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I reckon MON might get it with Larson being his first signing. Didn't Larson say that he'd like to finish his career in the Premiership? And aren't Liverpool short of a Striker at the moment? And they'd get him on a Bosman.

Ah, I dunno, probably won't happen but it's just a guess!

B.

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    I reckon MON might get it with Larson being his first signing. Didn't Larson say that he'd like to finish his career in the Premiership? And aren't Liverpool short of a Striker at the moment? And they'd get him on a Bosman.

Ah, I dunno, probably won't happen but it's just a guess!

B.

Larson wouldn't be good enough.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Larson wouldn't be good enough.

Good enough for who?

A team that barely finished 4th in the Premiership, with 30 points behind the winners, only 27 points ahead of the 3 relegated teams and that play mind numbingly boring football??? You think a lot of your team mate!!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heskey said in an interview:

''Even if Martin O'Neill goes to Liverpool, I still feel I needed a change.''

Could be something in that or nothing, who knows:D

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Good enough for who?

A team that barely finished 4th in the Premiership, with 30 points behind the winners, only 27 points ahead of the 3 relegated teams and that play mind numbingly boring football??? You think a lot of your team mate!!!

B.
    Baz, JTG is one of the biggest anti-Celtic fans on boards, I wouldn't take serious anything he had to say about them.

Larsson wont be joining Liverpool or indeed Blackburn with whom he's been linked. He says he's had enough of the British weather and wants a warm sun on his back more often. Dont blame him but He's Swedish!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Baz, JTG is one of the biggest anti-Celtic fans on boards, I wouldn't take serious anything he had to say about them.

I am not anti-Celtic, I am just realistic. I consider myself a supporter of Celtic and get very involved when I watch them. However, I am realistic! Larson is an exceptional player, there is no doubting it but he would be of little benefit to Liverpool.

I will say it again, there is no comparing Celtic to the top sides of England, Germany, Spain or Italy, whether you like it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Rafa Benitez would be my first choice. Although I'll be hoping Monaco win tonight so we can get onto the phone with Mourinho, console him, wish him all the best for the future and then offer him a wad of euros to take the Liverpool job. ;)

Murinho's comments re: board interference and respect as well as his well documented admiration for Liverpool have me believing that it will be he who will be at Anfield next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I am not anti-Celtic, I am just realistic. I consider myself a supporter of Celtic and get very involved when I watch them. However, I am realistic! Larson is an exceptional player, there is no doubting it but he would be of little benefit to Liverpool.

I will say it again, there is no comparing Celtic to the top sides of England, Germany, Spain or Italy, whether you like it or not!

Yea and we argued Celtics European achievements that include Beating Liverpool but you never seem to see the light.

As for Larsson not being good enough for Liverpool!!! lol Heskey was but Larsson isn't!!

Come on man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

According to bbc

Benitz is the clear favourite

Benitez tipped for Anfield

Benitez has achieved great success in Spain
    Valencia's Rafael Benitez has emerged as the hot favourite to take over as the new Liverpool manager.
    Local newspaper reports claim Benitez is close to a deal but the club insist that no announcement is imminent.

"We have no comment. Chief executive Rick Parry is out of the country and no decision will be made until he is back," said an Anfield spokesman.

Benitez has led Valencia to two league titles in the last three campaigns and also to a Uefa Cup triumph this season.

The Spaniard has emerged as the favourite to replace Gerard Houllier, who was sacked by the club on Monday after six years in the job.

Charlton's Alan Curbishley was the leading British candidate but Benitez appears to be the Liverpool board's unanimous choice - and is believed to be keen to take the job.

Earlier this week, Valencia president Jaime Orti had vowed to resist any approach for Benitez, who has one year left on his current contract.

We will save that for another thread maybe?? yeah?

Benitex or Mourinho would be my personal favourites. Strachan, Curbishley or O'Neill would be joint second.

Raffa the Red (Liverpool Echo)
    May 26, 2004
    WORLD EXCLUSIVE By Chris Bascombe, North West Sports Reporter of the Year, Liverpool Echo
    VALENCIA COACH Rafael Benitez will become the next manager of Liverpool Football Club.

After days of speculation the ECHO can reveal he is the board's number one target - and the Reds expect to land their man.

Benitez, (left), will jump at the chance to follow Gerard Houllier into the Anfield hot-seat. He has already told associates he is relishing the prospect.

And while there are still negotiations to take place and technicalities to overcome, the Kop will see Benitez take charge for Liverpool's first Premiership game in August.

It could still take several weeks for the 44-year-old's appointment to be rubber-stamped, but Benitez quickly emerged as the unanimous choice of the Liverpool board.

His pedigree ranks him as one of Europe's greatest coaches and his arrival will represent a stunning coup for chairman David Moores and chief executive Rick Parry.

The Spanish La Liga is regarded the toughest in world football, but Benitez recently led Valencia to their second league title in three years.

Last week, he also lifted the UEFA Cup when his side comfortably defeated Liverpool's conquerors Marseille.

He did so without significant financial backing and an on-going dispute with members of his board may be one of the reasons behind his desire to come to Liverpool.

The Valencia president Jaime Orti warned Liverpool from making any approach for their manager, but the decision appears to be already out of his hands.

Benitez reportedly has a get-out clause in his contract which allows him to leave at 15 days' notice.

The Reds won't even have to pay compensation for his services.

Numerous candidates were considered in the wake of Houllier's sacking earlier this week, but the Spaniard was quickly established as the overwhelming choice.

Alan Curbishley and Jose Mourinho had emerged as possible alternatives. Even the likes of Martin O'Neill and David O'Leary found their way onto a short-list.

But it was the name Benitez which always looked the most attractive, and so it's proved.

A student of English football, Benitez has often spoken of his ambition to manage in the Premiership.

Liverpool have already suffered at the hands of his managerial wisdom. In 2002, Valencia outclassed the Reds at home and away in the Champions League.

It would now take a monumental u-turn from the man himself to stop a deal going through over the next few weeks.

Liverpool chief Parry is currently on holiday, but events will move quickly when he returns to England in June.

Respected Spanish football journalist Guillem Balague believes Benitez will transform Liverpool.

He said: "He would definitely be a success. He is the most exportable of Spanish coaches and will be well suited to English football.

"Liverpool would become like the great AC Milan team. Defending as a unit but always attacking as one as well. He will change Liverpool and he will make them a force again.

"He appreciates English football and knows all about Liverpool. As a Liverpool fan myself I am very happy about this."
    I've also been told that Benitez is now being offered a five year extension on his contract with Valencia by Ortiz. Prior to the Liverpool interest last week he was only being offered a one year extension which was increased to two at the weekend. Ortiz is obviously desperate to keep him.

feck just put a fiver on Murinho :( 7.7 to 1. We'll see.

Originally posted by uberwolf
    feck just put a fiver on Murinho :( 7.7 to 1. We'll see.
    I'm tempted to put money on him being the next Spurs manager. If Ranieri is getting another season at Chelsea and Rick Parry wasn't just sunning himself in Valencia last week then the Spurs job is Mourinho's if he wants it. Blue Square are offering 50/1.

• Advertisement

Benitez rules himself out.
    Valencia coach Rafael Benitez has dismissed reports that he is ready to join Liverpool by insisting he has no desire to leave the Spanish champions.
    The Che coach, who led his side to a Primera Liga and Uefa Cup double this term, is understood to be top of Liverpool's wish-list following Gerard Houllier's departure earlier in the week.

Bayern Munich and Internazionale have also been credited with an interest in the former Tenerife boss, but Benitez has made it clear he intends to be in charge at Valencia next season.

"I am in no hurry to go to Inter Milan, Barcelona or Real Madrid, or any other club," he told Valencia's Radio Nou.

"I want to stay at Valencia. It's already a big club.

Spaking in the third person, he continued: "It's clear that Benitez is not looking for a team."

The 44-year-old is understood to be keen to lead Valencia back into next season's UEFA Champions League and test himself against Europe's elite after failing to qualify for the competition last term.

Bizarre how there is no mention of Liverpool in those quotes, when he has only been linked with the club in the past few days.

After getting a bit more info... the quote regarding Real Madrid, Inter Milan etc. is supposedly from a few weeks back when he was being linked with the Real Madrid job.

Valencia are offering Benitez a three year extension to his current contract, with the club having an option on extending the contract for a fourth year provided they qualify for the Champion's League at least twice during the first three years. The contract will be extended for a fifth year if they qualify for the Champion's League in the fourth year. There have been no changes to the situation regarding players - he will have to sell before he can buy. Benitez isn't happy with the offer, he wants a minimum of four years without conditions. He also wants a pot of money to strengthen the squad to challenge Real & Barcelona consistently.

Regarding Liverpool - he's very interested in the manager's job, but he wants at least a four year contract. Money to buy players and the freedom to bring in his own players from the day he takes over. The contract length and money for players are not a problem for Liverpool, but the bit reguarding transfers could be because Parry and Houllier already have the summer transfers lined up.

If he gets what he wants then he'll stay at Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Regarding Liverpool - he's very interested in the manager's job, but he wants at least a four year contract. Money to buy players and the freedom to bring in his own players from the day he takes over. The contract length and money for players are not a problem for Liverpool, but the bit reguarding transfers could be because Parry and Houllier already have the summer transfers lined up.
    Sounds like the logical thing to do would be to sit down and see who Liverpool have "lined up" and get an idea of who Benitez would want to sign in an ideal world.

Benitez might find himself delighted with whose lined up or similarly the board may be excited about who Benitez wants. Alternatively they could be poles appart - something really have to sit down and talk about....

Alan Green (Five Live) has just said he has it on good authority (ie dodgy source!) that Curbs will be signed next week when Parry gets back from his holliday.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i'd like mourinho to get the job
    benitez seems good too

my back up choice would be o'neill, hes greatly improved whatever side hes managed

• Advertisement

http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_111443.shtml

Thursday May 27 2004

Valencia coach Rafael Benitez has revealed that Liverpool have been in touch with his agent over the managerial vacancy at Anfield.

Benitez, who is one of the names in the frame to succeed Gerard Houllier, moved to play down speculation linking him with Liverpool on Wednesday.

But Benitez, who has won the league title and the UEFA Cup this season, has admitted that Liverpool would be a great club to coach.

"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage," Benitez is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

"I have been at Anfield several times as a rival coach and the atmosphere is wonderful.

"They have spoken to my agent Manuel Garcia Quilun to find out more about my situation.

"I am happy in Valencia and I would only leave the club for a great European side and Liverpool are one of those."

Benitez is joining Liverpool. :D

Yesterday Joan Laporta (Barcelona president) contacted Rafael Benitez and asked him not to sign his contract extension with Valencia but to stay for next season and then join Barcelona. He offered a five year contract with no strings and muchos money to make Barcelona a great force again, Benitez said sorry but I've already agreed to go to the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Here's more on Benitez joining the 'pool from the Guardian :)

What's that about Bookies never being wrong?!!? ;)

B.

From the article in The Gaurdian

Happy days if this came true!

Upon moving to Merseyside Benítez will attempt to persuade the Argentinians Roberto Ayala, a highly regarded centre-half, and the playmaker Pablo Aimar, instrumental in two Champions League victories over Liverpool in 2002, to join him in moving from Valencia. The pair's arrival would not be the prelude to a deluge of overseas signings.

• Advertisement

Oh man if (when) we get Benitez, and he brings Ayala and Aimar with him !!! (Might not happen of course) Happy happy happy happy days. It's about fúcking time we had something to smile about. :D

Although I did jump for joy on hearing the news of GH's sacking ! ;)

It will certainly be an interesting summer if it all goes through...

They would be some excellent high profile signings and would solve alot of the problems of last season, while also keeping micky and stevie happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i said mourinho would be my favourite, but after the final last night, he seems to play his team like liverpool used to, that could be asking for trouble - defense first counter attacking style, though he actually got results from this style

does benitez play a more attacking style?

about ayala and aimar
    ayala is pretty old and aimar hasn't been a regular in valencia if i've heard correctly, so nothing overly exciting there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

he seems to play his team like liverpool used to, that could be asking for trouble - defense first counter attacking style

Totally agree with you and from what I've seen of Valencia, they do play in a more attacking/attractive style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Larrsons off to Viallreal anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

From what I've seen, Valencia are not unlike Porto, albeit they are a better team and therefore more attractive.

But the basis of their success is their defence. They're very hard to beat. And when they break they do so with great speed and great incision. Usually play 2 wide men and only one up front, with Aimar as the fifth midfielder, playing in the hole behind the striker.

Valencia are a very solid defensive team but have a very potent attack on the break... The pace liverpool have in midfield and up front should suit his style of play, all that need to be sorted is the centre of defense and 1 or 2 midfielders.

originally posted by eyerer
    about ayala and aimar
    ayala is pretty old
    Ayala is 31, he's slightly younger than big Sami and he's world class so I'd definitely approve of his signing. Aimar is a class player, tore Liverpool to shreds when we played them in the CL (man that seems so so long ago) but I suppose it depends how much we'd have to pay for them. If the board think it's ok to spend £11m on a clown like Diouf then they should have no problems forking out the deniros for such quality players like the two Valencia boys.

If we get those two, plus Van der Vaart & Cissé then we'll win all 38 of our league games and win the Champo League too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Skysports
    Meanwhile, Parry added Owen and Gerrard's input will be considered in terms of who might be brought in to replace Houllier.

"There may be some discussion with them as far as the new manager is concerned," he added.

"I don't think a particular player will be asked to pick a name but I feel it is perfectly realistic to allow them some input.

"If whoever comes in has the senior players' respect they'll have a good start. If they don't it will be tough."

with senior players like owen and gerrard having an input on who they would like as manager - could this mean that they *might* like Sven Goran Eriksson as the next liverpool manager.. ?? both players do rate him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Surely Sven must have lost all credibility after picking Ruud Van (and not Ronaldo) as man of the match for the FA Cup final. The man must know nothing about football to make such a decision. Or maybe he just didnt see the game.

IMO Owen and Gerrard should have no say in who is the manager. But it is clever of LFC to make them think they have a say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement