Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Promo

• 24-05-2004 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

i was just surfing today when i was stopped in my tracks by a poop up from eircom saying i was eligible for a free upgrade to broadband from the eircom anytime option.it claims that there is no installation cost or price increase or modem,frankly i cant see how this offer works for them @ €30 per month....anyone able to shed any light on this?cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

were you on dialup or flat rate at the time ?

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Yeh, I got it too and I was none too happy about it, it happens when you clear cache and cookies, and history. Then hit home or open up a new browser window. I've got eircom 30 euro a month 150 hours.
    bastids.jpg

Its coming out of the Web Proxy then . Thats a bit unusual but it means that they are sure of targeting it. All 1893 users who use a Web Browser will get the popups unless they suppress popups generally , even then I'd say they get them :( .

I'd say the free users on 1892 are getting them as well, dunno about 1891 .

Clearing stuff locally is no good , sorry.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

This is driving me nuts. 1 in 15 pages i open is resulting in this. its a crappy trick tbh, because the offer is of no use to me whatsoever. Bastids.

Complain to Comreg if the ads apparently tells you that "You Qualify For BB" but you fail the line test and therefore do not Qualify For BB at all.

The popup does not have your line information so its false advertising really. info@comreg.ie is the address.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

I'm on the 1893 number as well and it keeps appearing.

It's extremely annoying, not least because I'm not eligable for Broadband and this is a constant reminder!

I'm also finding I have to dial up about 10 times at busy times of day before connecting.

Urge to destroy Eircom is rising...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

:D @ eircon, they couldnt give a monkeys who they piss off

they are maintaining their iron clad monopoly and not losing an inch, not a chance they'll end up like bt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SolarSys

Rumour has it that eircom are going to be shortly announcing what is going to be called "Summer Surf Free, Free, Free" and the offer is a special upgrade for Flat Rate Anytime customers!
    I rang eircom Sales and they confirmed this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SolarSys

The link on the eircom page that says that your line qualifies for BB is not infact a line test - its just checks to see if your local exchange is enabled for DSL. I rang eircom tech support and they told me this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

in fairness solarsys, if the exchange is enabled then the majority of users on that exchange should be able to get broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by SolarSys
    Rumour has it that eircom are going to be shortly announcing what is going to be called "Summer Surf Free, Free, Free" and the offer is a special upgrade for Flat Rate Anytime customers!
    I rang eircom Sales and they confirmed this!
    Eircom have announced 2 different promotions - one is an "upgrade" for Anytime customers (you get broadband for 12 months for the same price as the 150 hour flat rate Anytime service (€29.99/month). If you're on the 60 hour or 25 hour service, you still qualify, but you have to pay the additional €10 or €20 so that you will be paying €29.99/month for your first year).

The other promotion is "Summer Surfing" which is free DSL until August 31st, at which point you start paying €40/month (it's not a "free trial"). It says it applies to "all lines connected during the promotional period" which might mean that it applies to people transferring from another service, but you'd have to check that. And if you sign up on the 1st of August, you still only get free DSL until August 31st - it's not a "3 months free" deal, as IOL and UTV are offering.

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/pending.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

just to let you know im on a 1891 number and no pop ups......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by mad m
    just to let you know im on a 1891 number and no pop ups......

maybe u use a decent browser?

Has anyone found a way around it? It's really annoying. It happens pretty much everytime a new browser window opens, it's not a popup. You know the way if you click a link that someone has posted up in one of there thread, the link should open a new window and bring you to the place you clicked, well it doesn't it goes tho the ad page and the ad page gives you a 'continue surfing' link to bring you where you wanted to go to in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Not content with the banners, they've sent me 2 e-mails to offer me this great deal

Skin turning Green....Muscles still enormous...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    Has anyone found a way around it? It's really annoying. It happens pretty much everytime a new browser window opens, it's not a popup. You know the way if you click a link that someone has posted up in one of there thread, the link should open a new window and bring you to the place you clicked, well it doesn't it goes tho the ad page and the ad page gives you a 'continue surfing' link to bring you where you wanted to go to in the first place.

so this happens even in a good browser like firefox?

Yes, it happens when using firefox, and I also think it interrupts outlook express because my email doesn't download properly anymore.

Advertisement