Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo virgin...

• 24-05-2004 4:11pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting my first tatoo on the small of my lower back.
    I never got one before because of the fear of permanently marking my body...and my family keeps telling me my body is suppose to be a "temple' so it says in the bible and marking it would be wrong.
    I am still debating...what can you tell me to help me make up my mind>?

There is always the black light tattoo's...have you heard of those yet? they tattoo you in ink that is invisble unless you are under a black light...its pretty cool but very expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by BEAT

There is always the black light tattoo's...have you heard of those yet? they tattoo you in ink that is invisble unless you are under a black light...its pretty cool but very expensive.

They're also quite dangerous. Many people are allergic to the ink that's used and once that ink is under your skin it's very hard to get it out!

Who cares what your family think! I take it you're over 18, in which case you don't have to do what they say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

whats the point of getting a tatoo if you can only see it under a black light?
    the way i see it,you only live once so why not make the most of it,get the damn tattoo,your body aint no "temple"(if ive given any offence to any religion i apologise)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

yeah your body is your temple, so whats wrong with decorating it the want you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Don't forget that fashions change and while tatoos are back in fashion at the moment they are for life.
    Thus a very strong probability that you would come to regret it if you go and get the tatoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

tattoos have nothing to do with whats in 'fashion'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Let's face the fact that tattoo's are fashionable, they are part of the entire cool etiquette. Out personal reasons for tattoos are all entirely valid, but it's like saying the people buy Nike because they're the most comfortable. Yes, they are comfortable, but they are also fashion. It's a catch 22.

Personally I consider tattoo's as permenant body decoration, and somewhat of a written history on my temple. Much like a church has it's architecture, and stations, and spires. Yes the body is a beautiful thing in it's natural form, but we spend our lives taking knocks, getting scars, and ultimately trying to make it more beautiful. That's why I let the ink under my skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I like tattoos, but lower back they're so common, plus if you ever get pregnant\need pain killing around that area you won't be able to get an epidural(sp?)

I think they look common in that position its my opinion obviously, but thats what comes instantly into my mind when I see one, just telling you what I can't help thinking and I'm sure the same comes into the minds of others. A girl I know has one done about 3 inch below her belly button slightly to the right, I thought it was really cool, although risjs of stretching if she evr puts on weight\gets pregnant must be considered.

Its up to you, thats the main thing, dont let your parents sway you in your decision, not the phucking bible anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

Originally posted by Bottle_of_Smoke
    I like tattoos, but lower back they're so common, plus if you ever get pregnant\need pain killing around that area you won't be able to get an epidural(sp?)

i'm almost 100% certain that thats a myth.

the uv tattoos are supposed to be full of carcinogenics or whatever the word is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Unjaku

I never got one before because of the fear of permanently marking my body...and my family keeps telling me my body is suppose to be a "temple' so it says in the bible and marking it would be wrong.

So you're -

(a) Wary of permanently marking your body, as you admit yourself

(b) Taking at least semi-seriously the religious concerns of your familly about tattooing
    I am still debating...what can you tell me to help me make up my mind?

Given the above, and the fact that you need a bit of convincing or reinforcing from forumites, then I'd say you should simply wait a year or two and see how you feel then.

There's no rush, is there? Tattoos go on a lot easier than they come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

does a tatoo on the back of your neck look like an owners tag? in your opinion?
    sorry this aside from the original topic...

if the tatoo you are getting is something you feel strongly about .. the design that is .. then go for it...

don't go into the shop and pick a random design. Chances are you will hate it in 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

That piece about not being able to have an epidural if you`re pregnant and have back tattoos is total and utter ****! theres an article about it somewhere on bme.

Blacklight or U.V tatts do exist but the ink isnt FDA approved.
    They contain aluminium sulphide(or sulphate cant remember which one) which over time "bunches up" under the skin and can reject, and its not pretty.some people have got them and have had no problems healing them.
    Or safe.strangely enough, i have some neon pink bits on my arm and they glow orange under uv.and ive hav absolutely no problems healing them.

there is always the option of whitework tattoos,where just white ink is used with no outline.they sometimes can be hard to spot especially if youre really pale, but whats the point of getting a tattoo of even you cant see it?

Advertisement