Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panic setting in?!

Options
  • 24-05-2004 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

It is for me :'(

2 weeks and a day left then it all begins (and ends :s)

Im a natural pessimist but I mean I am so worried, I dont wanna go back to that piece of crap next year but I still cant get some serious work done! I mean I work at least 2-3 hours a day now (some days in school most at home) but Im so worried!

I *only* (using the word lightly) need 300points and I got 350 in my mocks with day before study for each exam , but I listen in class so have keep a good bit in just from that and Everythin came up perfectly for me so I got 350 ok

I fear that I may fail a subject like physics (got 40% in mocks) and lose 45 points!!!!!

Iv done a LOT of work on physics but im still VERY worried!

(H)English- What if the macbeth q is gay, comparative could throw ya
    (o)Maths- I LOVE IT :D
    (H)French - dodgy could misunderstand the written sections
    (H) chemistry - IF proper experiments dont come up or I forget certain parts
    (H) Geography - What if the regional division is a core peripheral Q instead :eek:
    (H) Physics - DREAD, PURE DREAD :(

No-one else fearing this (and dont tell me its not the end of the world cause wasting a year is pretty stupid imo)

I mean I cant wait to start and get english done and then im sure ill be ok but the fear of God is in me :(

Sorry just had to rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ok, it's years since I did my Leaving but I did okay in it for the same reason you'll do okay: you pay attention in class from time to time. Add any sort of study to that and you'll be fine.

The key is to relax and not panic about things. Easier said than done, I know but there are a few tricks you can learn very quickly:

If you're stresssing out, go for a walk/jog/swim/shag/whatever. Just do something physical, it'll calm you down (by releasing all the nervous energy) and the maxim "fit of body fit of mind" has some truth to it.

Study in forty minute bursts. That's the optimum concentration level for the human mind. This doesn't mean study for forty minutes, spend an hour playing computer games and go back to it again, just study something for forty minutes, take a five minute break and start again (preferably on a different subject).

When sitting down to study, do the subjects you hate first and the ones you love last. It'll help you to study for longer periods at a go.

Reading != Studying - take notes. Even if their in a completely unintelligable shorthand, it'll help you remember what you're covering.

Don't go over the top on caffeine etc. they just make you jittery, not alert. If you're feeling groggy before an exam run a few drops of cold water over the back of your neck and hold your wrists under a cold tap, either will help wake you up and help focus your concentration.

Finally, good luck. Don't believe anyone who tells you that these are the most important exams of your life. They're not, they just get you in the door. In two years time they'll have become completely insignificant to you. Breathe, relax and you'll be just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Whywontitwrok

Yes I dont disagree that ill forget when there done but I wouldn`t If I didnt get my points and I had to repeat!

Yes I study for 35mins and take a 5 min break (sometimes tansmutes into an hour of playing guitar!! but my playing has really come on this year ;) )

Im not very physical this year really, I left GAA for the year hoping it might settle me down to some work (which it has in some respects) and I rarely go out on the weekdays just the weekends. I rock out in my room if that counts ;)

Thanks for the encouraging words :p

OT but are you doing somethin computer related since you put in != ??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm a support consultant. Who else would still be in work at this hour! :p

LOL maybe in not in the worst situation in the world!!

P.s Im quite clear that I am in no way near the worst situation in the world

Im really worried because I dont feel worried at all. Im doing some study and paying attention in class, if only some of my teachers werent gone all week long.
    I look at it this way, its only an exam, as long as I do my best then thats all that matters.
    Im aiming for 425+ points so I really should be worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

I look at it this way, its only an exam, as long as I do my best then thats all that matters.
    Darko has the right attitude. School shouldn't be about study:study:study. It should be about fun:fun:fun. The only day I've been stressed was the first day of 6th year. I've been buzzin all year. Its great. 2003/04 has been the best year of my life. Im not nervous at all. You know that feeling when your going on holidays and your excited. I've had that for the last 3 weeks. Its drving me insane. I just cant wait. Its is going to be the second best thing I have ever done in my life

Yes but to do your best ya gotta study! Im not gonna go in and say "hey wouldnt it be cool if I only wrote down half of what I know!" I will write all I know but in order to do your "best" ya gotta study.

But I know where your coming from. Most of the time I just want to get down to doing the tests and I am lookingf forward to doing them, But im also crapping myself :D

Don’t crap yourself. Imp a firm believer in "ah sure it'll grand". Try it. I live by 3 rules.
    1. Chose your attitude - Don’t let the situation you’re in chose your attitude.
    2. Play - Always, Always have a great, fun time all the time.
    3. Make there day - Be there for anybody that need your help.

I've lived rigorously by those rules this year and they have made my year the best ever + it’s given me a cool relaxed head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Don't panic. It's counter-productive. Relax.

It's highly unlikely that you'll do worse than you did in the mocks, despite the questions that may have come up. You've another few months of school under your belt at this stage, with probably more information picked up from sitting in class than you realise.

If you've done a lot of work in a subject, you will see the results when you do the exam.

Also, the thing you have to remember about most of those subjects that you're worrying about - you will have a choice with the questions, you should find something(s) that you're at least semi-comfortable with answering.

And once again... RELAX! Drink herbal tea, get someone to massage your feet, go for a walk, masturbate, whatever works for you...

Stuey you doing your leaving?

K I guess Ill relax :D

I really dont like the whole "oh dont worry your mocks are marked down and all that"
    I dont buy it especially since a mate got 420 in his mocks but only 315 in the LC

Not saying that I dont understand that your saying ill more than likely go up or stay roughly the same but I want to MAKE SURE.

Well I organised somethin with mates there so we goin out on wednesday (after grad mass) so that should relax me. Going out with my better half and a few mates so should be good :D

Thanks for the encouraging advice guys, I cant wait to be abel to tell you how iv done in the finish ;) ww)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

You'd think some one who lives by rules would be able to spell them correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

shut up!!!!!!!!!!!11

yeah im doin my leavin. seifer has it in for me cause we had a little arguement over how great school is. He says its crap. I say its the best buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by smelly girl
    shut up!!!!!!!!!!!11

Seems to be a running theme with your posts lately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AndrewWK

Originally posted by stuey
    yeah im doin my leavin. seifer has it in for me cause we had a little arguement over how great school is. He says its crap. I say its the best buzz.

AHH BOYZ ITS DA BEST BUZZ EVAR AHHH YEEEE

OI LUV SKEWL OI DO, OIM A MAD YOKE WEHH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by AndrewWK

OI LUV SKEWL OI DO, OIM A MAD YOKE WEHH.

England test 15 days only away.

AndrewWK is the same person that said this
    I can't wait for school to be over properly. It's pretty much over already, haven't gone in properly since last Wendesday but I can't see myself missing it

If your just doin that last

OI LUV SKEWL OI DO, OIM A MAD YOKE WEHH
    for the fun of it rock on. Live life to the max is what I say. You could die 2moorw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Hmmmm,

English - H - Poetry should be ok- concentrating on Kavanagh and Dickinson, though must study more Dickinson. Macbeth should be OK, must revise Wuthering Heights and Silas Marner in Comparative Studies. Any good sites for Dickinson and Comparative Studies?

Biology - H - Hmm, not much done so far. What should I concentrate on? What do ye think will come up?

French - H - Should be OK. Gotta revise my letters and Compulsory questions. My teacher has concentrated on Informal letters

Tech Dr. - H - Must start drawing again - haven't drawn since I left school - two weeks ago.

Construction - H - Should be OK. Finishing off my construction project this week (it's supposed to be in since May 1st :)) Brief is practically finished - looking very good. What Experiments should I put at the end? Any suggestions? My cabinet making exam went very well, so that and the brief should make up for the errors I made with the project itself.

Irish - O - Doing OK. Just gotta revise all my notes for poetry and stories at this stage. Any suggestions on Essays and letters? Also, any predictions with the Stories and poems?

Maths - O - Should be grand in Paper 1. Dont have a clue about paper two, though I have a load of mock papers with solutions to work on. I go to grinds and we've got a 3 hour session of Paper 2 this Saturday.

All I need is 370 to be sure and to be in the money (bets). I got 265 in the Mocks, though should have got much more with a bit of effort. What, 15 days left. Gotta have my Project w/ brief in by Friday.

At home since last Monday week. Doing a decent bit of study in the mornings, and head into school for supervised study in the evenings, though I have slacked off on the morning study since last week (falling asleep etc :)). Study in school is going on from 9am to 10pm during the leaving cert, so you can go in for as long as you want if you dont have an exam - with breaks of course.

No panic at the moment, though I think I wont have enough time to get all the topics studied properly.

Cant wait till the end though,. 23rd of June, after the Construction exam, walk out of the school, wait, back into the school to enviber (beer bong) a can in our 'spot' then walk out with a rather large cone in my hand.

Originally posted by stuey
    AndrewWK is the same person that said this

If your just doin that last for the fun of it rock on. Live life to the max is what I say. You could die 2moorw :(

Like totally, man. Far-out. Woah.

alright now your just taking the piss

• Advertisement

You're right there bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

lol subway :D

I think subway is past the days of "shut up" or have you?

Advertisement