Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

nsr 75 opinions please

Options
  • 24-05-2004 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

basically i need a bike 50cc+ and in insurance group 2 and i'm leaning towards an nsr 75. i'll be buying second hand within the next month or so. anyone here ever owned one before?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

just smaller than the 80, so im not sure what group they are in, id go something more sturdy really if i were you. second hand nsr's tend ot be trashed (unless you buy em off a girl really) and most ppl i know regard them as the premiere bike for scum bags....

maybe try a 125? or a 100c? (not nsr btw, the sports bike are bitchin to the insurance)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Unless you're really really short of cash, you should go somewhat above what's not much more than a jumped-up scooter. There are plenty of nice second-hand Cat 2 bikes about, have a look in the usual places for a Virago, Marauder, Intruder, etc. You're not realistically going to get a decent racer as low as group 2, so look at the cruisers. You'd look far less silly on a 125cc Virago than on a 75cc NSR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Great bike, small but much better then any moped due to simple fact of having gears. Economical and generally very reliable but some issues with Spanish made bikes.
    Brother's bike took 16k miles of good trashing. I personally do not like any of this 125 cruisers and would prefer Cb125 or Gn125 instead of big piles of chrome with little engine

but this is just me.

Nsr80 jumped few insurance groups and Nsr 125 will cost you arm and leg on insurance, so maybe consider something tottally different.

check insurance first www.hiberniandirect.ie what a sad fact of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Nowhere man

yeah the nsr80 jumped a few insurance groups, but the nsr 75 is still group 2, i can't see myself driving around on a cruiser, i don't like them at all
    as my insurance is 2k , i have about 2k to spend on a bike , is there any other racer type bikes in group 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What about a Gilera Runner 125 or better still the 180 SP version? Will knock socks off an NSR80 and make any of those piddly cruisers look like rollerskates. The 125 should be in group 2 and would trounce most 125's away from the lights. No gears though.

• Advertisement

Very little chance of getting an any-way decent racer for that price, and certainly not in group 2 AFAIK. I'm not a cruiser man either TBH, but I'd personally much rather go 'brummm' round the place on a cruiser than driving an NSR75 going 'bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Originally posted by Nowhere man
    yeah the nsr80 jumped a few insurance groups, but the nsr 75 is still group 2, i can't see myself driving around on a cruiser, i don't like them at all
    as my insurance is 2k , i have about 2k to spend on a bike , is there any other racer type bikes in group 2?

theres very slim pickings for racers round that price.
    Tbh i doubt you'd find many at all.
    Why does it have to be a racer, street bike not good enough? Or a hybrid. however, something like a Varadero will set you back around 5k secondhand.

Pfff, Cruisers are great, nice and comfy even on long journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Group 2 for NSR75? I doubt it. Looking at Bikeworld NSR50 is group 2 but NSR125 is group 7! That put's it in a more expensive group than most restricted 500-600cc bikes. All of the 2 stroke bikes are in higher groups because they produce lots more power for the weight.
    Why are you leaning towards a NSR? Looks price? Cheap price on open market could be due to expensive insurance. Seller mightn't be able to get a good price. So check the cost of _insurance_ before you buy. Get quote in writing, usually valid for 30 days.

Having been the owner of a 125cc cruiser, I won't be going back to one. Yes they look nice (honest!) but for using on dual carriageways they're underpowered. Better off going for a regular 125 GN/CG. These also have a shorter wheelbase making them more manoeuverable in city traffic.

Hmm, from a bit of digging around, the newer NSR125s (2002-on, better factory restrictions, AFAIK restricted to ~12BHP) seem to be group 2 (!). That stupid hibernian site is telling me it would be cheaper for me to insure a restricted NSR125 than an NSR80?? Crazy sh1t. Doubt you'd get one for 2K though, but you would get an older (unrestricted in the eyes of hibernian AFAIK) for that.

Advertisement