Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

going swimming?

• 24-05-2004 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

i got my piercings less than a week ago, and i was wondering how something like going swimming would affect it? the chlorine is my main worry, and the possibility of not so clean water. should i leave it a while? i was also a bit worried that lots of movement like in swimming could affect my nape piercing in some way? i dunno i'm just dead paranoid, i think its really pretty and i dont want to lose it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

its grand. just clean it loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Silent Grape
    its grand. just clean it loads.

It's not really grand if she only got it done a week ago. Did you know bugs like hepatitis A can live in a heated swimming pool for over an hour? Not something I want getting into a brand new piercing.

If I were you i'd leave it at least a month and then smear vaseline on the holes to seal it off but make sure you remove it fully when you shower after your swim.

Can't be too careful. And if your pool is chlorinated as much as mine, it'll STING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

hepatitis a eh? dont think i'll be going swimming for a while then :(
    Originally posted by eth0_
    but make sure you remove it fully when you shower after your swim.

what about my nape? i cant remove that

fair enough, i was only going by my experiences.

i think she means the vaseline, not ur actual piercing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ahh ok... i was a bit confused there for a second, clean the vaseline off fully, duh :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Silent Grape
    fair enough, i was only going by my experiences.

Maybe you were lucky, but I went swimming about 3 weeks after I got my nape done and it got really irritated by the chlorine. But i've got pretty sensitive skin. Still, think of all the kids who wee in the swimming pool, doesn't that put you off for a few weeks heheh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

a friend of mine has a fresh scaffold piercing. h e completely forgot about it yesterday while a few of us went for a swim in a lake. he's swimming along and suddenly it dawns on him that he has an open wound on his ear. i'll let ye know if he gets any funny infections or his ear falls off or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Yeah, chlorine had a really bad drying out effect on my piercings about 2 weeks after, sore and reddened. Dont really know how it affected the healing, but I had to moisterise it quite a bit (ear).

Originally posted by the evil belly
    a friend of mine has a fresh scaffold piercing. h e completely forgot about it yesterday while a few of us went for a swim in a lake.

In a lake! Good luck to him! :-D

Originally posted by eth0_
    In a lake! Good luck to him! :-D

i'll put money on it he gets something. the water has already gone through a hydroelectric dam, there several fish farms in the lake and farms along it's shore and then there;s the algae, fish etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sorry to bring up an old thread but Im getting my nape done on Wednesday.

One question--Im going on holidays Sunday week(Portugal)and have beem advised to wait until I return home to get the piercing done.

Now Ive a dilema.Reason Im getting it done this week is cos Ive 2 weeks off and it will give it time to heal a bit before I have to go back to work and dont want shirts rubbing off it.

So do I get it done and hope I wont get it infected while away,or wait till I get back and hope it doesnt get irritated/infected from shirts rubbing off it in an oily environment(Im in the motor trade and hoped that being away from that oily/greasy environment would help the piercing to heal)

Which is the lesser risk?
    Get it done on Wednesday,use those waterproof dressings for the couple of weeks,keep it extremely clean and hope It heals ok?Or wait till I get home and get it done with shirts etc rubbing off it?
    Thanks
    Richie

thats a tough one. itd probably be best to talk to a piercer about it.

i didnt find that my shirt collars rubbed off it at all, but if ur working with motors etc i can imagine how badly it could go.
    id get it done before you go. car oil in new nape piercing, shudder...

just for the record that friend of mine never got any infection and there was me hoping for flesh eating bacteria or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Sorry in advance... stupid question... but what is a nape again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Hell_en_earth

Regarding swimming, it can get infected if not fully healed and can appear red & swollen I'd leave it a few week's until healed fully and use vaseline as eth0_ recommended.

As for getting peirced and going on holiday's, it should be fine as long as it's cleaned properly and you keep in the air so it can heal but out of the sun and water for long period's of time. You should be fine.

As for where is the nape of the neck, it's the back & middle of your neck just before your spine start's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks for all the replies.Never got a chance to get it done yesterday so Im going in tonight on the way home from work.
    Im going to get it done before I go,at least then when Im away it will have time to heal in the sun etc.
    Richie

Well I got it done this evening.Nice looking piercing and not too bad to get done.Worst part is the lining up of everything which took best part of an hour.Didnt even feel the needle going in.
    And Ive been told that the nape very rarely rejects so I hope its in there for the long run.
    Got it done in Celestial ring in Blanchardstown and the guy who did it was the soundest bloke you could meet.Definately recommend them for a piercing.
    Richie

Advertisement