Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best promo ever

• 24-05-2004 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

there have been loads, but what ranks as the number one, you have ever seen?

the one that REALLY stands out for me is during the inVasion angle, just before SS and Heyman let rip into Vince about how Vince ruined Sports Entertainment by monopilsing it. I was surprised that Heyman still had a job after it, as it was bordering on the personal side of things. Outstanding.

Also, during Roddy pipers recent (mis) adventure in the WWe, he also cut a scathing promo on Vince about how everything Vince tried himself had failed (most notably XFL) and how the wwe is just a legacy of Vinces father. He tore Vince to shreds. No surprises that he was out of the job for a supposedly unrealted issue a few weeks later!

What do u people reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Lordz

Mick Foleys "Cane Dewey" Promo in ECW...

Any Jake the Snake one.He was one of the best in the business for those,so silent,it was brilliant.As you say,the Paul Heyman one.

The promo is no longer big in the wwe :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I dont see why you think that is a bad thing Lordz. IMO, the promo killed pro wrestling for a while, leading to shnit like the Katie Vick angle, making it all a bloody soap opera.

I would be sick if i went to an even and just saew fellas brushing up on their acting skills. I want to see wrestling when i watch wwF, which tahkfully, these days we are seeing more and more of, with a nice mix of promos!

Originally posted by gimmick
    I dont see why you think that is a bad thing Lordz. IMO, the promo killed pro wrestling for a while, leading to shnit like the Katie Vick angle, making it all a bloody soap opera.

I would be sick if i went to an even and just saew fellas brushing up on their acting skills. I want to see wrestling when i watch wwF, which tahkfully, these days we are seeing more and more of, with a nice mix of promos!

When the promo is done right,it can be brilliant,hence the "Cane Dewey" promo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yes, but do you remember a SD last yr, when there was a 30 minute segement with Steph going on about how Vince betrayed her etc etc etc. The crowd were just chanting "We WanT Wrestling". It was boring as fack, and the rest of the show suffered as a result.

Well timed promos are great, but when the majority of the show is taken up by them, well SNOOZE!

Originally posted by gimmick
    Yes, but do you remember a SD last yr, when there was a 30 minute segement with Steph going on about how Vince betrayed her etc etc etc. The crowd were just chanting "We WanT Wrestling". It was boring as fack, and the rest of the show suffered as a result.

Well timed promos are great, but when the majority of the show is taken up by them, well SNOOZE!

Oh god,dont remind me of that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Its not really a Promo but I liked The Raw following Vince's buying of WCW...It put shivers down my spine...the start of Raw..no intro Vince McMahon smug as the devil..Nitro and Raw on seperate T.V's...Jeff Jarrett on Nitro..him on Raw..and he I forget his exact words but he went to the the T.V with Jarrett and basically said he was out of a job...Bye Bye...Excellent stuff..Though Cane Dewey was good too..."Dewey is a 3 year old boy you sick son of a etc" , ECW was Promo Heaven

What about Pipers "Shoot" Promo in TNA about how Vince Russo wanted to be a wrestler but he sucked so he became a writer and was the reason for Wrestling being an overblown Circus and that he killed his cousin Owen Hart..That was pretty brutal, but you couldn't help but feel like should he be allowed to say that...

Piper went shortly after the Promo so maybe it was a real Shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Theres another promo im Mick foleys book which ive never seen but its transscribed word for word. Its from when he was antihardcore but he realised he couldnt have hardcore style promos and hardcore matchs and call himself antihardcore. So he turned himself into the exact oppisit. He did very came civilised promos and nothing but headlocks and armbars so he would have very slow non Hardcore match but the main point of his promos was how much loved being hardcore.
    He did one at chistmas i remember one of the lines
    ''Ohh i do love being hardcore, why the otherday i was baking some gingerbread men and as I pulled out the backing sheet from the ovin I thought to how splendid it would be powee hit some one over the head with it.'' And some thing else about yelling ''hes hardcore'' at christmas carollers. All the while well groumed for once and whearing a suit and loafers (with no socks) by a fire with young Dewie on his lap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

My fav promos of all time are, unsuprisingly mostly Mick Foley based

Promo where he changed to Cactus Jack (both times he was due to face HHH - Raw at MSG and last Smackdown pre-RR at MSG)
    Cane Dewey
    Anti-Hardcore Promo

Other great promos are:
    Hogan turning heel - cant deny it, hate him as a wrestler but damn he captured me that night
    Austin 3:16 - the promo that started the Attitude era(well cause WWE stole it from ECW :) )
    The D-X mass impersonation of the N.O.D - simply some of the most fantastic promos delivered in one segment

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭antifyre

Flairs Shoot when the Horsmen came back in the tuxes, towards the end of WCW.....

He's Crying at the begining, picks it up into usual Flair style and then , in the middle of the ring, starts the rant of all rants, how upset and f**ked up the company was, how Sting was 'Crying in the back' and how much he HATED Bischoff...Bischoff coming out to Ringside telling him he was over, Flair Screaming at him, Bischoff cutting Flair's mike......

I never really figured whether it was actually all for the cameras or not...... but I can't understand how they even work in the same building after that...

If ye want to see it, snippets are on the Monday Night Wars DVD (suprisingly even handed and well worth the watch) ...

Am going tonight too, 2 hours to go; very cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 yami308

The best promo ever would be in the later days of ECW when Tajiri was teamed with Mikey Whipwreck and they were managed by the Sinister Minister. Tajiri's doing his promo in Japanese when, in the middle of a sentence, he switches to Spanish. When he stops, he's got the most wicked grin on his face and Mikey's just staring at him speechless. That was great!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I thought the anti-hardcore promo was far better than the Cane Dewey promo. But that would be arguing which promo was the best ever and which was second best, in my opnion.

Other ones that I love: Just before Survivor Series 2001, Heyman and Vince. Heyma ripped Vince a new hole with his words, about ow Vince Snr. had promised all the terrtories that he would not compete with them, and how Vince Jnr. totally broke that promise. Also, how the Attitude era was just an ECW rip-off. Tha promo was ruined by the ending of it though, with Tazz choking Heyman out.

Also, before Bad Blood 2003, Flair's promo to Michaels. Basically, Shawn was mistaken to think that he was the next Flair. To be the next Ric Flair, you have to sleep with 300 women, spend a million dollars and wrestle three hundred nights a year. Flair then said he was going to party n a limo full of booze and babes.Absolute class.

Advertisement