Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV give three months free DSL

Options
  • 24-05-2004 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

UTV Internet became the latest Irish Internet Service provider to offer a discount broadband package to subscribers on Monday, following a similar announcement by EsatBT. UTV Internet is offering a free three-month trial of broadband DSL; customers will get a fourth month free if they sign up for the company's Clicksilver DSL service, which costs EUR29.99 monthly. Customers who sign up also pay a EUR99 fee for setup, which includes a broadband modem.

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9413105.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Ah, excellent. eth0_, any chance you know if you pay the installation fee when you initially sign up for the promotion, or when the 3 months free trial are over and you don't cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Typical!! I'm waiting 3 or 4 years for broadband and when my line finally passes and I order, I'm a week early for a special offer!

I'm with UTV from the beginning almost. (Signed up about 3 months after they launched their groundbreaking UTVIP). I ordered BB last Monday night online. Still haven't got my self-install pack yet, though I have a feeling that Eircom might be ahead of the game with the exchange work. This morning the 'Oul Wan' heard clicking on the line a few times and was then cut off. I wonder is it worth giving UTV a bell??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's always worth giving them a bell, but somehow I doubt they can grandfather your order over to the new wholesale product. But jesus, try anyway.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I was talking to them about this earlier today and was told that they haven't finalised any details and won't be doing so until they see exactly what the opposition is offering. Then they'll undercut it.

Don't you just love competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

i hope that means a higher cap. if they gave a 30gb cap i would sign up within half a second. is it just me or would anyone one else feel guilty if they got the free trial knowing full well they would leave after it ends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by vishal
    is it just me or would anyone one else feel guilty if they got the free trial knowing full well they would leave after it ends?
    I certainly wouldnt anyway. This is Ireland, grab whatever freebies you can get with both hands 'cos theres always someone out there that wants to take it back off you or charge you over the odds for providing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

i hope that means a higher cap. if they gave a 30gb cap i would sign up within half a second. is it just me or would anyone one else feel guilty if they got the free trial knowing full well they would leave after it ends?
    They're offering you a trial. I can't see whay anyone should feel guilty about geting that trial in for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SteM

is it just me or would anyone one else feel guilty if they got the free trial knowing full well they would leave after it ends?

I work with a guy who was bad mouthing their service for the first 2 or 3 months he was with them, so I'd want some sort of trial to feel safe signing up tbh.

I spoke to someone there and he said they'd be releasing exactly what their promotion would be by the end of the week at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wonder if you can get a free 3 month trial from each of the ISP's... you could get a year's free DSL out of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Stephen
    I wonder if you can get a free 3 month trial from each of the ISP's... you could get a year's free DSL out of it ;)
    The promotion is actually an eircom wholesale promotion - eircom wholesale will rebate providers €120 3 months after a brand new customer signs up. It only applies to lines that have never had bitstream service before.

It also means that IOL will still lose money on people who trial the system, and get rid of it after 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by Ripwave
    3 months after a brand new customer signs up.

And it is also time limited until September. So anyone signing up in August will only get the one month of August for free.

P.

Originally posted by eircomtribunal
    And it is also time limited until September.
    No, peter, the eircom wholesale promotion that i referred to is not limited until September. Eircom retail are using the rebate that they're getting from eircom wholesale to run a "free summer surfing" promotion, but they'll still get a €120 kickback for anyone connected through November. Whether they'll introduce a new promotion in September, or just keep the kickback remains to be seen.

"free summer surfing" promotion, but they'll still get a €120 kickback for anyone connected through November.

I've been told differently by somebody who should know. Where is the Eircom doc supporting your line?
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

1.8 Promotional Offers
    Service Promotion
    (EUR)
    1893 Flat Rate Upgrade
    Promotion applies to new* Bitstream subscriber
    provide orders released to eircom for any Bitstream
    product during the promotional period. Eligible
    subscribers must be an 1893 flat rate user. The
    Access Seeker can avail of this promotion at a time
    of their choosing with a Promotional Period of any 30
    successive days between 24th May 2004 and 30th
    November 2004. The Access Seeker shall notify
    eircom to indicate the start date of their promotion.
    Applicable subscribers must be active on the
    Bitstream product for a minimum of 3 months, after
    which eircom will pay the Access Seeker a rebate per
    eligible subscriber.
    For each subscriber order eligible for the 1893 Flat
    Rate Upgrade Rebate, the Access Seeker will also be
    entitled to avail of a Bitstream Port Transfer at a fee
    of EUR 10. This offer only applies to Bitstream Port
    Transfer orders completed before 30th November
    Rebate to the
    value of
    EUR 120
    Bitstream Price Promotion
    Promotion applies to new* subscribers connected to
    any Bitstream product during the promotional period.
    Eligible subscriber orders must be new provide
    orders completed during the promotional period,
    where the Promotional Period is 1st of June 2004 to
    30th November 2004. Applicable subscribers must be
    active on the Bitstream product for a minimum of 3
    months, after which eircom will pay the Access
    Seeker a rebate per eligible subscriber.
    For each subscriber order eligible for the Price
    Promotion Rebate, the Access Seeker will also be
    entitled to avail of a Bitstream Port Transfer at a fee
    of EUR 10. This offer only applies to Bitstream Port
    Transfer orders completed before 30th November
    Rebate to the
    value of
    EUR 120
    * I.e., the first time the CLI has been connected to the Bitstream service.

I've been told differently by somebody who should know. Where is the Eircom doc supporting your line?
    Here

Thanks.
    So, with the FRIACO promotion, a promotional period of 30 days has to be chosen (Access Seeker can avail of this promotion at a time of their choosing with a Promotional Period of any 30 successive days between 24th May 2004 and 30th November 2004.), which will restrain the offer time-span considerably. Once a time is chosen, like June, then only the months of June, July and August could be offered for free.
    But not with the dsl offer. So this can be promoted in succession as free "summer surfing", then as "autumn surfing" and again and finally as "Christmas surfing", as an offer taken up in November would cover the Christmas period.
    ?
    P.

Thanks.
    So, with the FRIACO promotion, a promotional period of 30 days has to be chosen (Access Seeker can avail of this promotion at a time of their choosing with a Promotional Period of any 30 successive days between 24th May 2004 and 30th November 2004.), which will restrain the offer time-span considerably. Once a time is chosen, like June, then only the months of June, July and August could be offered for free.
    I only know about eircoms FRIACO offer, and they're offering not 3 months free broadband, but broadband for 12 months at FRIACO prices (€30/month for 12 months, ie, a discount of €120).
    But not with the dsl offer. So this can be promoted in succession as free "summer surfing", then as "autumn surfing" and again and finally as "Christmas surfing", as an offer taken up in November would cover the Christmas period.
    They could, but I think they might do something different in September, like a free connection offer, perhaps. (free connection and 1st month free is also wrth about €120)

I only know about eircoms FRIACO offer, and they're offering not 3 months free broadband, but broadband for 12 months at FRIACO prices (€30/month for 12 months, ie, a discount of €120).

Slowly I seem to begin to understand it...
    Eircom (wholesale) offers a €120 rebate to other Telcos/ISPs for FRIACO customers who switch to dsl. And with this "1893 Flat Rate Upgrade offer" time is limited to a 30 day promotion; with the dsl promotion ("Bitstream Price Promotion") there is no such 30 day limit.
    P.

1.8 Promotional Offers
    Service Promotion
    (EUR)
    1893 Flat Rate Upgrade
    Promotion applies to new* Bitstream subscriber
    provide orders released to eircom for any Bitstream
    product during the promotional period. Eligible
    subscribers must be an 1893 flat rate user. The
    Access Seeker can avail of this promotion at a time
    of their choosing with a Promotional Period of any 30
    successive days between 24th May 2004 and 30th
    November 2004. The Access Seeker shall notify
    eircom to indicate the start date of their promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by eth0_
    Customers who sign up also pay a EUR99 fee for setup, which includes a broadband modem.
    so... i only pay the €99 setup fee if i decide to stay with utv after 3 months?

sorry about the next question, damn college interweb filter blocks off nearly everything;
    how big is the cap on utv's offering?

Originally posted by tman
    so... i only pay the €99 setup fee if i decide to stay with utv after 3 months?

Yes.
    sorry about the next question, damn college interweb filter blocks off nearly everything;
    how big is the cap on utv's offering? [/B]

€30 per month = 8 gigs download cap, C/R 48:1
    €45 per month = 16 gigs download cap, C/R 24:1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Do you know if that's 8gb downloads only or 8gb upload and download? Some ISPs have unlimited upload allowance.

Originally posted by exiztone
    Do you know if that's 8gb downloads only or 8gb upload and download? Some ISPs have unlimited upload allowance.

I rang UTV and they said that the download cap was 8 gigs and this amount didn't include your uploads.

Advertisement