Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty MB/RAM ??

Options
  • 24-05-2004 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Faulty MB?
    I bought an Asus A7N8X Deluxe from komplett a fair while back now, and its giving me a little trouble.
    Hang on....
    Let me re-phrase that:

Its giving me alot of trouble!

I'm running WinXp on a 120gb S-Ata Maxtor drive, 512mb DDR400, and a Athalon 2800XP all on the A7N8X. All components are running at stock speeds.

Every time I go to boot up into windows I get that BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH, that windows is so famous for.
    This screen ever so nicely explains to me that:
    • windows has encountered an error and must shut down to prevent serious damage
    • the cause of this error is most likely from the file: Ntfs.sys
    • ERROR: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
    • you could try booting up in safe mode, by pressing F8
    • and that you may try to repair this file by pressing r when booting with the XP boot disk

I've tried to boot in safe mode, with no avail. Every time the Windows enviroment trys to load I get the error message.

From the evidence it doesn't sound to be a Mb fault but when I tried to boot a seperate OS from a CD(which runs on a windows enviroment) I also got the error.
    Which points me in the direction of a hardware fault.

Stuey has already looked at it. But he failed misserably. He advised to post here and see what you all make of it.

Any help would be greatly appriciate.
    Cheers,
    murph.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Has it always given trouble?
    Try running memtest on your ram, one stick at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 eoinmurphy

Its been running alright for just under a year, although it hasn't been running anywhere near aswell as it should have been.

Error messages every now and again. Nothing that worried me though, I jus thought it was XP being stubborn. : )

I'll give memtest a goo.
    Cheers,
    Murph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

the a7n8x boards are pretty finicky with the pc3200 ram they accept. I have tried some cheap ass ram and it just doesnt work very wel in dual channel mode.

This link http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7n8x/A7N8Xqvl.htm shows what ram is supported.

edit: URL thing seems to be acting up for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

the a7n8x boards are pretty finicky with the pc3200 ram they accept. I have tried some cheap ass ram and it just doesnt work very wel in dual channel mode.

This link here shows what ram is supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sixstrings4

You said:
    the cause of this error is most likely from the file: Ntfs.sys

Does it actually tell you this before or during the BSOD? If so I may have advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 eoinmurphy

Found the culprit.
    I ran memtest and got an unhelthy amount of errors. some where up around 9000 by test 7.

I swtiched stick into the next slot and presto It worked poifect. Can slots just break like that. Could it be dust?

Cheers for the help.
    Murph.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by eoinmurphy
    Found the culprit.
    I ran memtest and got an unhelthy amount of errors. some where up around 9000 by test 7.

I swtiched stick into the next slot and presto It worked poifect. Can slots just break like that. Could it be dust?

Cheers for the help.
    Murph.
    The slot might actually be ok when both slots of channel#1 are used simultaneously (with two sticks of ram). Some mobos are fussy about which slot to use with just one stick of ram.
    Did you put it in slot#2 of channel#1? or in the single slot on it's own (Channel#2)?

Advertisement