Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you pay for piercings

Options
  • 25-05-2004 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

how much do u pay for peircings in the place u live??
    i dunno how much it is [ i get all mine done for 5 or 10eur just pay for jewelery really] I think its a bit crazy to spend like 70eur on a lip piercing or somit i dunno if its 70,

so what do you pay.
    in the last month i have got my lip and nape done [ and have paid for my tongue n 2nd nipple getting them done in the next 2-3weeks] for a grand total of 30eur...

do you not think its a bit crazy spending 50-60eur on a piece of metal??

cartman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Thirty euro for a lip AND a nape? What piercing shop was this, the stall in Georges St arcade?

The last piercing I got was my nape, in Celestial ring. This cost 50 euro but I think I paid 30 because I was friends with the piercer.

TBH i'd be suspicious of places with much lower prices than places like Celestial and Snakebite. Maybe outside Dublin prices are a good bit cheaper - never been to a piercing shop in another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i got my labret and nape done for 35e. a friend of a friend pierced me (yes of course he does it professionally!) i think i just paid for the jewellery and the clamps. properly done with needles from sterile packets and all that so i'm not really worried about the price i paid. i think some of the prices ARE a bit much, i can understand with more complex piercings but i remember a friend of mine was just getting her lobes pierced but wanted to avoid a piercing gun and it cost her 20 irish pounds (back in the day) pricey enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Too much quite often. It's expensive, and I think the truth is piercing places are making a fortune every day. Those sterile needles are sterilised in the piercing place, and put in those packages. I'd imagine it wouldnt cost more than a few euro including jewelery per piercing. The rest is piercer/premises profit. Of course I agree, it's a skill, maybe even a trade, but at rates of what €300 an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

hmm, i dont mind payin the 50 quid for the piercings as i know exactly what im getting,
    the place that only charges 30 youro for a nape and lip must be some dive imo

Originally posted by Altheus
    Too much quite often. It's expensive, and I think the truth is piercing places are making a fortune every day. Those sterile needles are sterilised in the piercing place, and put in those packages. I'd imagine it wouldnt cost more than a few euro including jewelery per piercing. The rest is piercer/premises profit. Of course I agree, it's a skill, maybe even a trade, but at rates of what €300 an hour?

Erm, what? Where have you got those figures from? No one ever got rich from being a body piercer! The only time piercing shops are busy is on a Saturday, usually. 300 euro an hour is a huge exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Err, PIercing shops dont actually make that much money.

The ones around Temple Bar and more open to the public (ones that tend to get flooded with people getting basic piercings) do make quite a bit.
    But the other shops that aren't as well know, dont have lots of bookings or even traffic.
    One in back of Ms.Fantasia for example.

Well, I was suggesting about places like Celestial Ring, Metal Morphosis, and Body Shock would make I'd imagine around 200 - 300 an hour for about 5 hours on a Saturday. During the week maybe two or three piercings an hour on average about 40 euro a pop, that's still pretty good money. Not too mention all the walk in buyers of jewelery, cleaning products, and the novelty items associated with the businesses. There's no way that anyone can convince me that any of those businesses are not healthy and could afford to reduce their respective prices, with the exception maybe of Celestial Ring, who are the most modestly priced.

During the week maybe two or three piercings an hour on average about 40 euro a pop, that's still pretty good money.

There's no way that anyone can convince me that any of those businesses are not healthy and could afford to reduce their respective prices, with the exception maybe of Celestial Ring, who are the most modestly priced.

Wow, you have done your research! I have friends who are piercers and one used to work in a shop in the city centre, they'd be lucky to do five in a day on week days - Thursday evenings it would pick up a bit.

Why don't you go check out the cost of renting a building in Temple Bar and then come back and tell us they should lower their prices! They DON'T make a huge amount of money.

As far as I know, Celestial Ring makes most of it's money on Tattoo's, piercings are almost secondary.

Well every major piercing place in town is closely tied to tattoo parlor, Metal Morphosis -> Zulu Tattoo, Bodyshock -> Classic Ink Tattoo, and as you said Celestial Ring actually do both.

I appreciate that their overheads may be enormous, but as with any shop in town, you diversify to multiply, which most of these shops do.

I agree midweek may be slow, but like all retail outlets, they surely rely on certain times of year to make their money. That would be the summer months, college is over, school is over, and kids have part-time jobs. They may not be making millions but it's certainly a healthy profession.

I do believe there is a certain level of prices maintained by these places, like any business it's probably the only way to make money, but it's still us at customer level suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

etho, its actually nape,lip,nipple and tongue for 30eur :D its done professional in a studio im just great friends wit the piercer.. she hates taking money off me..

tbh she works a sat from 1-6 [shes in college] and she would be lucky to make 200-250.. that would be a good day, then you would have to pay "rent" to whoever owns the business[i.e. main tattooist in this case] maybe 40eur...

piercers dont make good money but tattooists do, my mate[tattooist no.2] in that place makes on a good week 1000-1500euro, then he pays 18euro a week to main tattooist who makes much more id sayt, but he pays all the bills and orders al lthe jewellery, machines equipment,electricity everything,

EDIT: normal nape n lip piercings are a good 50-60 euro, i just get them for free or a tenner

• Advertisement

ah cartman if u'd said that in the beginning... :OP
    It's cool to get piercings done for the price of the jewellery!

A friend of mine is a tattooist in Ennis and he makes a fortune AND he's not taxed on his earnings because he's an artist. Jammy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

whic guy aengus or tadgh, im good friends with both of them,
    the thing about the tax issue i was just talkin to them last week about this, they dont get taxed at the moment and as there lease is up there moving studio so until then there tax free, but some law or somit passed and when they move into new place i think they will have to sort it out, aengus whos the main man is a very wealthy man by now id say...

God damn, I need to get to know some tattooist/piercers personally!

Originally posted by cartman
    whic guy aengus or tadgh, im good friends with both of them,

Aengus but I haven't seen him in ages, tell him Joanne said hi :)
    Yeah he does well for himself but he does work very hard for his money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

them needles are all new and autoclaved in them packets. they cost almost nothing though. yeah the price is a bit steep but how much on tools and equipment is a hairdresser spending on a single haircut? not more than a few cent. you're paying for a service.

my big problem with the shops around dublin is the price of new jewellery, its absolutely disgraceful. celestial ring are/were selling plugs that are for sale on http://www.wildcat.co.uk for about 3 or 4 times the price. its mad. i was buying a pretty big ring recently and i went around to most of the shops looking for prices and snakebite was the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

hhmm my nape cost me 70 squids in bodyshock a year ago.

hrrmmmm..........

Originally posted by Silent Grape
    hhmm my nape cost me 70 squids in bodyshock a year ago.

hrrmmmm..........

!!!
    That's wild. No wonder they're not as popular as they once were.

my latest surface piercing cost me 65. methinks im moving my business elsewhere. but ive had all my piercings done there and i really like yer man paddy...... (stoopid emotional ties to getting piercings!!)

Originally posted by Silent Grape
    my latest surface piercing cost me 65. methinks im moving my business elsewhere. but ive had all my piercings done there and i really like yer man paddy...... (stoopid emotional ties to getting piercings!!)

Do ya? Even when I used to get pierced there, I never liked dealing with him, I can't put my finger on it but it's just like, he has a real elitist attitude and looks down on people who aren't covered in tattoos and piercings like he is. Whereas in somewhere like Snakebite, all the piercers are so bang on.

But maybe I was just paranoid.

i did get a distinct couldnt be bothered vibe off him when i got some of my first peircings, but he recognises me now which is nice.

god im so lame.

ANYway, the guy who used to work there did my nape and he was VERY cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

my eyebrow piercing cost me 900 chez krones when i was in prague which works out at about 30 euro or so. That cheap or what? i have no idea of prices here in cork.
    wanna get a tattoo but i dunno what to go for... anyways im straying off topic.

Advertisement