Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Irish Bands

Options
  • 25-05-2004 7:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi everyone,

I live in Australia, and I'm coming to Ireland in November to work for a few months. What are some good Irish bands I should know about before I get there? I want to see some good live acts in Ireland, but I want to get to know the scene a bit first. I'm into Gomez, The Strokes, The Beta Band, BRMC, The Sleepy Jackson, Kings Of Leon....that sort of thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Pete.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

hmm future kings of spain sound like a band that would appeal to you. Turn is also definately a band you should check out, theyre brilliant live, and sure ya might as well see the frames, not everyones cuppa tea but they do a good live act.
    compulsory port of call is Whelans of wexford street!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

Here are some I would recommend:

Jetplane Landing
    www.jetplanelanding.com

The West Seventies
    www.thewestseventies.com

and Pony Club
    www.ponyclub.tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

As was said, check out

Future Kings Of Spain
    Turn
    Also, try Berkeley on for size.
    Enjoy! :D
    xxx me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭uma

Some great bands there all right.Check out Alphastates a band i have just come across who are amazing.Brilliant debut album.

www.alphastates.com

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fat slide

yes, 'the future kings..' for unadulterated rock power is highly recommended. think their stuff MIGHT be available in oz.

for my money though 'the dudley corporation', 'waiting room' and 'life after modelling' are the best irish bands around.

speaking of rock and australia, are regurgitator still around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pete0123

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'll check them all out, hopefully I can find some songs on Kazaa.

speaking of rock and australia, are regurgitator still around?
    I think they're still kicking, but they haven't released anthing in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Also, the 66 electric are worth listening to. They have a good sound, and put on a good show in their gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fat slide

yeah 66e are leathal. album on the way later in the year.

Gotta agree about the66e (obviously). I just wasn't sure if they fit the description Pete gave of bands he was into. Feck it, check them out! They're excellent!
    And Ellison 9 and Polar while you're at it!
    xm

oh my...a 66e album...ive come all wet...and im a boy!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

ive come all wet

*ahem* lovely...

yeah, try the frames http://www.theframes.ie/ .. they're great....
    ( and i will not listen to those who tell me otherwise..) they generally play over here around november december too, so you might be in luck..

bellx1 are amazing... just fantastic, and they're generally round..

if you like the beta band you'll probably like alphastates or the tycho brahe either... the music's quite different, but generally people who like one like the other, y'know? it's that sorta thing..

YES future kings of spain
    YES turn
    YES berkeley
    YES 66electric ( is it just 66e now?)
    YES polar
    YES life after modelling

go see the chalets, phuckin class
    hmmm...
    i'll think of more, you just wait.. (you'll be inundated with suggestions before i'm finished, hate to be you..)

Yea, 'tis just the66e now. :)
    xm

yeah appearantly they got sick of drunk eejits yelling out at them and asking them to play "gay bar", cant blame em really! should have bought the E.P while it was still in tower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Well i'd say maybe wallmark, they usually put on a good show, Polar are great, 66e also, and most things said above:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Originally posted by Smurfpiss
    yeah appearantly they got sick of drunk eejits yelling out at them and asking them to play "gay bar", cant blame em really! should have bought the E.P while it was still in tower...
    If you're having trouble finding it I'm sure I have a couple of extra copies lying around....
    xm

oh yes monsiour colly has spoken of you memaeve! That would be most excellent, whats the going price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭trent_derby

Abbasolutly on the 66e, lovely lads to play gigs with and their music is brill.
    Plus they all know the lyrics to "you got the touch" from the transformers soundtrack, which is impressive.

Originally posted by Smurfpiss
    oh yes monsiour colly has spoken of you memaeve! That would be most excellent, whats the going price?

I think it was a fiver in Tower but there's no point in giving me any money for it.
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

See! didn't I tell you that you should go to meave for your 66e enquiries smurf! :rolleyes:

Oh that phantom announcment is that they have a gig on in the village. just if you havn't found it yet. :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by legofsalmon
    See! didn't I tell you that you should go to meave for your 66e enquiries smurf! :rolleyes:

lol I'm so proud. :D
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

might they be heading down south at any point soon maeve?

Originally posted by legofsalmon

Oh that phantom announcment is that they have a gig on in the village. just if you havn't found it yet. :D

is this the june 20th one?

oh wait i getcha...you had my hopes up there cause i thought you meant the 66e were playin...ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Damon_Kind

In the run up to the release of the album 'fall down 7 times, stand up eight' from the 66e they play the Temple Bar Music Centre on 16th June with support from 'Stanley Super 800' and another to be announced.

Other info as i get it to my man head.

Be well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 michaelknight

Don't forget
    Michael Knight

<cough>

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
    In the run up to the release of the album 'fall down 7 times, stand up eight' from the 66e they play the Temple Bar Music Centre on 16th June with support from 'Stanley Super 800' and another to be announced.

Other info as i get it to my man head.

Be well

Jaysus, way to steal my job Mick....:rolleyes: :p

xm

Advertisement